Anti-freeze

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

schindop
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Anti-freeze

Post by schindop » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:49 am

On an earlier thread, I was told to use special diesel engine anti-freeze. Does anyone have a recomendatin for the brand/type anti-freeze I might find in a national chain that is the right kind for the 6.2L?
Thanks -Peter
1953 M38A1, 1964 M274, 1943 GPW, 1987 HMMWV, 1986 CUCV
USARNG E-6 MP

battlebuggy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by battlebuggy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi Peter People say that due to the problem with some diesels having vibration induced cavitation, which can be destructive. Certain engine designs exhibit this problem. The Detroit Diesel designed 6.2, 6.5, and 8.2 family of 4 stroke diesels do not have this issue so any good quality Ethylene Glycol such as a Prestone etc, in either premix or concentrate is fine. Use in 50/50 solution. The premix is good since it uses PH neutral filtered water and is used by a lot of the 18 wheeler crowd. Do not use the new Dexcool (orange organic) junk products out there as they are bad for a bunch of reasons. Google for all the class-action suits going on now. Stick with the old proven green Ethylene Glycol -bad for the environment- stuff :) Some people continue to worry about diesel cavitation anyway so if you see a product that advertises that it has the anti cav additive and is approved for the Ford Navistar diesels which have this problem bad, you can use that. Another route is to go to the local Ford dealer and get the Rotunda Ford Diesel coolant additive from the parts guy. You can add this additive which will knock off cavitation, which the hummer engines do not have, but some do anyway to feel safe from the issue. Later
Glenn
MTA
MVPA

jwaller
G-Major
G-Major

Post by jwaller » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:03 pm

the reason you need heavy diesel antifreeze is due to having wet or dry liners. wet liners need it and dry ones dont.

the cyl walls get very hot during combustion and wet liners will boil the water/antifreeze mix at the surface and removing microscopic pieces of metal and therein lies the need for the extra protection.

as has already been said stick with the $10/gal stuff not the $20/gal stuff.
XM818 W/W
M35A2 W/W .69 OD gears.
M1151

schindop
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

antifreeze for the 6.2L

Post by schindop » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:17 am

I looked in my manuals and cannot find the amount of antifreeze needed. I can buy 3 gallons of this but don't want it hanging around. Does anyone know how many quarts or galons to buy?

I am also trying to look up the number of quarts of oil needed for the engine. I see all kinds of parts but not the amount of oil. Am I not looking at the right manuals? They are pdf files on a CD.

Peter
1953 M38A1, 1964 M274, 1943 GPW, 1987 HMMWV, 1986 CUCV
USARNG E-6 MP

emmado22
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by emmado22 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:24 am

All the info you need is in the -10, on page 1-23, change 1 of the JAN 96 edition. Lists the capacities for ALL the fluids.
Army trucks

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”