White Smoke

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

White Smoke

Post by Retired War Horses » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:48 am

About 2 yrs ago I replaced my IP and Injectors on both trucks an 85 and an 87. both pumps are 2829-4879 and both were NIB/NOS. I obtained the
injectors from Diamond Diesel and both are the same part number, there were re-man's, I asked the Diesel Shop about using those pumps and they said it was just fine as the pressures were the same per the manual. The 85 runs great with no smoke issues, the 87 on the other hand puts out white smoke at high RPM while in the driveway with no real load on the engine. I have replaced the fuel, checked the air cleaner, Blown out the fuel return line from the IP to the fuel tank, Advanced the IP and retarded it. The truck always fires right up and runs great.....
Now, Something else I have noticed is that it is now running much hotter then the 85 as well, not uncommon to run 220 around town, but I do have the armour Hood grill and the 85 does not, I am thinking I will remove the armor grill and see if that cools her down.

SO, I am left either thinking I have a bad pump or a bad injector, the added higher temps lead me to beleive that I am getting to much fuel.
Can the STE-ICE check for excess fuel?
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

lkgindy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by lkgindy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:01 am

I put an armor grill on my 95 civi and kept an eye on temp because it looked like there could be some air restriction because of the smaller air slots. However, I have not seen any increase in temp at all. It runs the same with either grill. I did have an issue about a year ago with a bad injector that caused white smoke. I changed all of them and the probem went away. I then took the used injectors to a diesel shop and they found that one of them was bad. They also said that extended driving with that bad injector could and would melt the piston because of the extra fuel and heat.

Larry
Last edited by lkgindy on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:08 am

You had the smoke quite badly if I remember correctly though right larry?
Mine is only at high RPM, But I still think its a bad injector.
The smoke is not billowing out, But really smells of unburnt fuel.

lkgindy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by lkgindy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:11 am

There were 2 different problems at 2 different times. The first time was lots of smoke and it was a bad injector pump coupled with a bad CDR valve. The second time was the bad injector and it only seemd to happen while driving on the highway at 50 MPH or so. Any other time I did not notice any smoke.

Larry
Last edited by lkgindy on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:15 am

Sounds like one of the Nozzles would at higher pressure open up to far and introduce to much fuel, Mine appears to be same, it's only at higher RPM, Fine otherwise......Stay tuned.

lkgindy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by lkgindy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:15 am

Another thing about the armor grill. The civi truck runs about 180 to 190. I have them on both of my Humvee's as well and no increase in temp. Both trucks run at 190 to 200.

Larry
1987 M-998 Project
1995 Hummer HT

battlebuggy
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by battlebuggy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:38 pm

I also agree with the above posts. I would replace the injectors first. Especially where heat was a symptom. I also have an armored grille on and it runs at 190-195 all summer long.

Glenn

STUDENT-DRIVER
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by STUDENT-DRIVER » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:24 pm

White smoke is usually a indication for water blue for oil and black smoke for to much fuel. Hope your engine doesn't dies :(.
I break it, I fix it!

http://youtube.com/user/STUDENTDRIVER123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Playmate of the month April 2011 (HUMMER CAL.)

Clarke
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Clarke » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:43 pm

White smoke is unburned fuel. You can see this when you don't give the glow plugs enough time to heat up the pre-comp chambers on a cold day.

Chances are good that if the white smoke continues after the engine has warmed up that you have a bad injector.

Regards,

Clarke

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: White Smoke

Post by muttguru » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:51 am

TheHummerguy wrote: ...the 87 on the other hand puts out white smoke at high RPM .....it is now running much hotter then the 85 as well,

SO, I am left either thinking I have a bad pump or a bad injector, ?

White smoke at high revs can sometimes mean a slight leak at the head gasket, allowing droplets of coolant to enter the cylinder(s). A leaking gasket also allows exhaust vapors to enter the coolant, jacking up the temperature.

Worth checking......
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:38 am

MuttGuru
I would beleive the same but this is most definitely unburnt fuel, not burnt coolant, This white smoke lingers like smoke, not water based vapor.....NO issues at all on the amount of coolant in the overflow basin as well, has not moved in years.....

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:47 pm

Spoke with the Diesel shop today, They think its a timing issue or bad pump, white smoke at higher RPM's is a timing issue..they say.
Funny thing is, I turn the pump in any direction and get no change in performance, especially if I advance it....should clack louder but does not.
I am thinking a bad pump that will not adjust or stretched timiing chain?

Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Retired War Horses » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:52 pm

Ok...got the new 4524 pump installed yesterday...Smoke it gone.
I can now run it up to High RPM and it don't take 10 min for the smoke to clear. Actually runs real good. It did not make a difference on my Engine Temps though.

Thanks Larry for the Pump

Kinda something I noticed while troubleshooting the old pump, I noticed that no matter which way I moved the pump to advance or retard the timing, It made no difference, I tried to advance it to get rid of the smoke but nothing...I would have ended up with an engine that clacked much much more....I set the new pump about 3 ticks advanced, you can clearly hear it clackity clack clack when cold and then go silent after the cold advance kicks off. Got noen of the above on the old pump. I check the cold advance in teh old pump and it works fine.

lkgindy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by lkgindy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:14 pm

It's good to hear that the problem is gone. You are very welcome for the pump. I am glad I had what you needed.

Larry
1987 M-998 Project
1995 Hummer HT

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”