Another Possible Silly CTIS Question

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Ozhumvee
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ozhumvee » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:09 am

George
That wasn't the intention but I guess it would achieve that.
The main reason is that when in travelling/touring mode, full of fuel (270 litres) and water (100 litres) plus camping gear, tools and spares my Humvee weighs over 4 tonne. To get even tyre wear it is necessary to have more pressure in the rear than the front. Also helps with the handling too.
If you have a look at the late model A2 trucks that run the radials from new they have TP 40 on the front and TP 45 on the back which also happens to be the pressures I run on the highway.
My first set of GSA 37" radials fitted six years ago have just been replaced after covering 80'000 kms (50,000 miles) in the period since.
While the majority were highway miles there were also two desert crossings (approx 800km each cross country) at approx 15 psi as well as countless weekend and two or three week trips including much off road work in that total.
Peter James
Sydney, Australia
RHD 1988 M1026
4speed, Aircon and CTIS!
Unfortunately has been sold!

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

ANOTHer possible silly CTIS question

Post by dilvoy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:13 am

Raising tire pressures to raise the load carrying ability is what I do all the time, but on full time 4x4 vehicles I have always put the tires to max pressure on the front and rears for fear of wearing out the diff in the T case, but I guess that's what the diff is for.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”