Throttle response, 6.2; been sitting a while

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

actionpaintball
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Throttle response, 6.2; been sitting a while

Post by actionpaintball » Sun May 04, 2008 4:34 pm

1985 HMMWV, standard 6.2, been in storage for 8-9 years, drained fuel, cleaned grounds, added aux ground harness, checked and changed fluids, new control box and glow plugs-fired right up and runs smooth.

BUT-very sluggish throttle response-takes almost 2-3 full seconds to respond to accelerator movement. The IP return springs and mechanical linkage look good and are are smoothly operating. No white or black smoke, but it will stall when the throttle is spiked to WOT (wide open throttle) and then quickly released.

My plans were throwing in new/rebuilt injectors and having the original pump rebuilt...anything I should check before jumping right in to new parts?

Ozhumvee
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ozhumvee » Sun May 04, 2008 11:54 pm

I'd try putting a good dose of diesel injector cleaner/fuel conditioner in the tanks and take it for a reasonable drive, probably has a bit of gunk in the IP and or the fuel pump.
Changed the fuel filter?
I'd also fit a new fuel pump as they are relatively inexpensive and the Aussie Humvee owners all found they went better with a new lift pump.
Peter James
Sydney, Australia
RHD 1988 M1026
4speed, Aircon and CTIS!
Unfortunately has been sold!

cstaup
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by cstaup » Mon May 05, 2008 8:03 am

First of all, change the fuel filter, you might also look at the pick-up screen in the fuel tank.

Check your fuel pressure before and after the filter , if that is fine prolly your injector pump.
1967? M151A1 2P346

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”