Start Switch

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

ReconHumvee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Start Switch

Post by ReconHumvee » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:44 pm

Took the humvee to petaluma parade saturday, tranny transfer case working great. When I try to start the vehicle after already being warmed up the the switch not requiring a wait light because of it being warmed up it just clicks, can turn it a quite a few times and until it finally catches a good turn over??? I already did a ground harness to everything was wondering if it could be the switch or starter selnoide??? Jeff

cpl brown
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by cpl brown » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:07 pm

starter selnoide (solenoid)
m1026
m75 #1
m75 #2
simperfi
A mans word is his honor

actionpaintball

Post by actionpaintball » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:49 am

You can try jumping the starter solenoid from the main hot wire lug mounted on the starter when the truck is in the run position (I would block the tires, put it in park/Neutral with parking brake) and run a hand held jumper and jump after your glow light goes off ( two 12 gauge wires with alligator clips work well for a one man trouble shoot). If its starts immediatley-its in your wiring or dash mounted switch (or possibly really bad ground).

If it repeats with the same problem-its related to your starter-and as previously mentioned-look closely at your solenoid. You can easily replace the solenoid without overhauling the entire starter-but now would be a good time to clean it and inspect brushes ect...

Eat your wheaties-the starter is heavier than it looks.

lkgindy
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by lkgindy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:11 am

If you do take the starter off be very careful. As was mentioned, it is very heavy. It is easy for it to get away from you and come crashing down on you. I always use a ratchet strap and tie around the starter just as a safety precaution. Then just lower it to the ground without being under it. Then you can ratchet it back up when reinstalling it. No worries.

Larry
1987 M-998 Project
1995 Hummer HT

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”