Winch Install for Extended Nose Humvee

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:27 am

I found that just bolting the MIL 9000 winch to the winch bumper would not work on my Humvee, because I am installing the Extended nose and the larger radiator that goes along with it and the normal positioning of the winch would not work. It was too high and interfered with the extended lower radiator support bracket. Luckily Student Driver posted a diagram that had the special adaptor brackets pictured that drop the winch down and Ted Gates actually pointed out the brackets. Otherwise I would have not made the brackets as close to origianl style as I did. I used two 1/4" pices of Steel angle iron and welded couplers to them. These couplers are basically nuts, but are 2" long. These are used to bolt the adaptor brackets to the winch bumper. I used larger size bolts for this connection than is originally used. Then I drilled the holes the bolts pass through that actually hold the winch to the adaptor brackets. I used six threaded bolt holes on the winch instead of four as are normally used.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:24 pm

Hi George,

I like your brackets better than the OEM's. Good job. I will pursue this soon...

Ted

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:32 pm

Good Job George.
Using the angle is a much more elegant and stronger solution than the flat bar of the original part.

Though the winch becomes a bit more exposed in this configuration than I thought! :shock:

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,
Serpentine Belt Accessory Drive & Eaton e-lockers)

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:10 pm

Ted, Brad, Using the angle iron setup makes it stronger in my opinion and since the pieces that I had were the perfect size for the couplers that I used, I had minum work to do. I like the idea of the edge of the brakets butting up against the back side of the winch bumper instead of just the couplers. I dropped the winch the amount which is half the distance between the upper and lower mounting holes that are in the bumper. From the deagram and the foto of the Humvee that Student Driver posted, It looked like that's what the Military did, but the winch could be dropped less. Using the angle iron does add a little complexity though. It dosen't allow all of the mounting bolts of each bracker to be lined up in a single plane, because the heads of the bolts that attach the winch to the brackets contact the angle part of my brakets. I had to enlarge the holes in the bumper for the larger bolts that I used, so I just reamed the holes towards the center of the bumper to accomodate this. It was approx 1/4" towards the center of the bumper on each side. I did have an old style bumper that I bolted the couplers too and then welded the angle iron pieces to the couplers. No miss alignment of the threaded couplers this way. Even with the lower winch position, I'm still OK ground clearance wise, because my new 20" ECV wheels and tires make up the difference in ground clearance.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Winch Install for Extended Nose Humvee

Post by dunsbr » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:14 pm

dilvoy wrote: .......I'm still OK ground clearance wise, because my new 20" ECV wheels and tires make up the difference in ground clearance.
I'm sure you meant ECV II there George.... :P

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026
(with 4L80E Trans, 242 T/case, 12K hubs, CTIS, A2 wiring, Air Con, A2 ebrake, 9k Winch,

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

winch install for extended nose humvee

Post by dilvoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Oh Ya, I left off the II and also wrote down "my" instead of "the" when I mentioned the wheels. I guess I was just Giddy at the thought of being able to spend more thousands of dollars on the Humvee.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:18 pm

LOL!
:D :D :D

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026

STUDENT-DRIVER
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by STUDENT-DRIVER » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:04 pm

It's okay and it will work as you can see:

I break it, I fix it!

http://youtube.com/user/STUDENTDRIVER123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Playmate of the month April 2011 (HUMMER CAL.)

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:08 pm

WTF is that!?!
Is that one of those Greek armoured versions?

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

winch install for extended nose humvee

Post by dilvoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 pm

I took a measurement of the winch and it's lowest point hangs below the bottom edge of the bumper by slightly less than two inches. I think the cheapie lense and angle of the foto made it look like much more.
Another nice foto Student Driver, Thanks. I think I can make a piece that looks the part.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:29 am

TOO FUNNY!
I was wondering why the airlift hoops on the hood did not stick out far enough. I didn'y even notice that it wasn't a Humvee!

Jason

STUDENT-DRIVER
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by STUDENT-DRIVER » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:03 am

Its the Israeli version... It really was about time to find a new design for there aggro M1114's...

Here the manufacturer: http://www.plasansasa.com/

But the under body protection shield in the front is also used in the new reagular HMMWV's as you can see it in the new AM General ad:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k_kue7dDNWM
I break it, I fix it!

http://youtube.com/user/STUDENTDRIVER123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dunsbr
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dunsbr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:41 am

Good work with the pics again Alex!
You are the Googlemeister! :D

Cheers
Brad Dunstan
RHD '87 M1026

STUDENT-DRIVER
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by STUDENT-DRIVER » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:20 am

No No No!
I'm not the Googlemeister
I'm the master of disaster :lol:
I break it, I fix it!

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”