form 97

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

powertool
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Post by powertool » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:52 am

I know that you can find it splattered all over the internet that HMMWVs are not roadworthy, don't meet safety requirements, etc. But, have you actually read the regs? Padded dash and collapsable steering column have been required in cars since the late 60's (maybe early 70s) but the requirements for trucks are different. I'm not saying they don't apply, but for all that's posted on the internet about it, I've never seen anyone post statute numbers or applicable FMVSS sections.
Just because it's been said over and over doesn't make it true, especially on the Internet.

As far as side impact worthiness, I don't think that was even regulated for cars until the mid 90s. No trucks at all were even subject to FMVSS rules until the '90s (I believe 1994 model year). An '86 truck will be held to '86 regs. I don't think an '86 Jeep has impact resistant doors.

I'm just saying, we should all be more critical when it comes to stuff like that, that harms the reputation of our trucks. We, as a community allow it to propogate, because we don't question it. The only substantiation that I've seen for the (safety) case against HMMWVs is that the information is parroted again and again on the Internet. Why has no one quoted the government sources? Why has AMG backdoored us with a few MVDs, rather than make a public statement about road safety?

cgregsons
G-Private
G-Private
Post by cgregsons » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:00 am

So with all this said. If you have an old HMMWV that exited the military legally, can you somehow obtain the original Form 97 for peace of mind?

emmado22
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by emmado22 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:39 am

If DVM wants to be a PITA, all they have to do is look at the brake lights. They dont have the DOT spec # molded into them, and thats an automatic NO GO.. Now, how many people actually look that close, thats a different story..

It's also the reason why the newly manufactured MV's have the LED DOT compliant lights on them..
Army trucks

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Form 97

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:09 pm

The form 97 is officially titled:

AGENCY RECORD COPY OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE OF A MOTOR VEHICLE

The form 97 is only issued at the time the vehicle is released by the government and is only issued to the original buyer. If the original buyer then sells you the vehicle and gives you the form 97 it's a good thing because it adds to the paper trail you'll need when you go to register the vehicle, proving it was legitimately released. There's no way to go back and get one for your truck.

As a part of the state registration process, most states keep the 97. That's why we make copies of them when we get them.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:52 am

Dear G503ers,

I've heard about SF97s but I have to admit that I've never yet seen one.

Anyone got a sample that they'd care to post? Or a link to a sample?

(not an actual, completed one, please!)

Thanks....
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

actionpaintball
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by actionpaintball » Sat May 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Resurrecting an old thread:

Copy for reference:

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sat May 10, 2008 5:38 pm

thanks APB,
I have never seen one either.
With purchase price of "1", I guess the sales tax would be affordable. B)

Jason

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

form 97

Post by dilvoy » Sat May 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Jason, That's only if you don't have the stamp on the back that says that it is a tax exempt transaction. if it does, there is no tax charged no matter how hard the DMV people try.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”