Poject Humvee Milestone!

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Poject Humvee Milestone!

Post by dilvoy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 am

I finally installed the ECV Nose and Hood. Yea!
It's all lined up and opening and closing smoothly when lifting from either side. Took a while, because of the three inch body lift and a slightly mal formed hood, even though it is a brand new hood from a sealed crate and it looks perfect to the naked eye.

George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

RockHillWill
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Poject Humvee Milestone!

Post by RockHillWill » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Congratulation there George. It's looking good.

Urban Camo
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Urban Camo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Nice George
I thought I had low ceilings in my garage.
Good thing it wasn't a 5-6" body lift.

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:15 pm

It's nice to have that hood off of the floor. Way easier to get to my back yard now!
George, the hood hits the ceiling right now. :lol: I don't know if it will hit after I install the hood prop rod or strut. I guess It will go as high as I want it too in the end, but for now, I can concentrate on installing the splash guards and the stuff around and above them so I can make as much air go through the cooling stack as possible or practicle. Still waiting for the wire harness that goes to the rear A/C Condensor fans so progress anywhere else is good.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:26 pm

lLower the front of the hood at the hinges, and you may clear the ceiling. Did you raise the snout the same height as the body? It looks like you have spacers between the snout and the hood hinges? I did that at first, but then the hood sat crooked with the body by the dog bones. I removed the spacer, and it all lined up.

Jason

86humv
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 86humv » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:53 pm

George built it in the basement....now he has to figure out how to get it out... :shock:
86 Hmmwv
Lots A parts
M101A2 trailer
M1102 trailer

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:15 pm

86humv wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:53 pm
George built it in the basement....now he has to figure out how to get it out... :shock:

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! I had to widen my garage door after I got the Humvee before I could get it inside the garage! :lol:
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:25 pm

I lifted the nose two inches and the hood at the hinges by one inch to match the body lift.

George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Jason, My problem was back where the hood latches were. This hood seems to have been pulled from it's mold early and the sides of the rear part of the hood moved inwards. The passenger side more than the driver's side. Nothing was needed on the driver's side, but it doesn't fare in as nicely as it should. It was the passenger side where I was having the backer bracket/bump stop coming in contact with the air filter. I modified it and reversed the mounting bolts and now all is good. Not enough of an issue to cut the hood apart and start patching it back together so I went this route.

George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Not too likely anyone is going to run across another mal formed hood, but here is a reference photo of an unmodified bracket.

George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:18 am

Nice George. You need to get that truck out for a drive. What are you doing about the airlift towers being short now?

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:17 am

dilvoy wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 am
I also noticed that your turn signals don't match. I don't know about CA, but I got pulled over in KY, in 1990, for having a red light on the front of my car. It was the night rider thingy! :lol:

Jason

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:36 am

Ted Gates wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:18 am
Nice George. You need to get that truck out for a drive. What are you doing about the airlift towers being short now?
Ted, I had to do a bit of trimming to the forward end of the openings to actually get the hood positioned, because of how the loops angle forward as they rise so after I do my final trimming for the openings, I plan to make sunken buckets shaped like the openings for them. Probably bent aluminum stock done in a simple military style with gaps or holes down low to let water drain. Then probably some sort of flange up top with foam or other type of seal for the underside of the hood to push against. Just like everything else on the Humvee, I have to take into account and do ten other things while I am building these, like the raising of the splash guards to meet the higher placement of the hood and my Super Special Air Lift Tower Cross Bar that I should be able to stand and kneel on without killing myself or damaging anything else around that area. As you know I'm not in a hurry on this vehicle. :D
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:39 am

Action wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:17 am
dilvoy wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 am
I also noticed that your turn signals don't match. I don't know about CA, but I got pulled over in KY, in 1990, for having a red light on the front of my car. It was the night rider thingy! :lol:

Jason
The turn signals are matched Jason, it is just the flash from the camera that changed the lighting from one side to the other.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:55 pm

George, ecv rubber flaps on top of splash shields are tall. Did you use them? Also the civi h1 has a rubber pad between the lift towers. You doing something like that? One day, you'll drive it again.

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”