Converting M998 to an M1026

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

lkgindy
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Converting M998 to an M1026

Post by lkgindy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 am

The clips are available at Auto Zone in the “Help” section where they sell door window crank handles and the like. They are in a bubble pack and there are various sizes in each package. You will have to buy 2 packages to get enough to replace all the clips and each package has both the right and left side type. I completed a new rear hatch lid this past summer using these clips.

Larry
1987 M-998 Project
1995 Hummer HT
2006 H3

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:03 pm

lkgindy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 am
The clips are available at Auto Zone in the “Help” section where they sell door window crank handles and the like. They are in a bubble pack and there are various sizes in each package. You will have to buy 2 packages to get enough to replace all the clips and each package has both the right and left side type. I completed a new rear hatch lid this past summer using these clips.

Larry
That's good info Larry. I'm going to go and get some today!
George D. Paxinos

M998's
M1044
M1123A2

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 pm

RockHillWill wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:38 am
Thanks, Jason. I did know that the hatch opens both ways, and I had a hard time explaining that to the guys at the local armory motor pool. They had never worked on a TOW missile carrier and were giving me some grief over it. What I was actually saying about the hatch was that the latch handle had a 'catch' in it about halfway thru the movement, and it would not release latches at either side to position themselves to let the hatch close. Once it was closed, it would allow the hatch to open, but then again, it would not close. The hatch looks like it had been dropped on a sharp object right in the middle at some point in time and the sheet metal 'tunnels' that the operating rods go thru were collapsed. I disassembled the rods and straightened out the tunnels and that did not correct the problem, so I started looking at the latch, and short of removing the spot welds, I decided that based not only on the non-functioning aspect, but the poor appearance of the latch, I just bought another one. I am waiting for that latch to arrive from HPGUY, but they are waiting to ship because he was the only vendor that I could locate that had the retaining clips, and he has to order them from AMG. I tried to source these clips elsewhere, but was unable to do so.

I can see in a couple of the photos that part of the rear most hatch latch has a bent piece. It is the little flat metal piece that slides when the latch is operated. That little piece is supposed to be bent at a ninety degree angle at it's rearmost point and it probably got bend when the hatch was being handled. That could be the hitch in it's operation. The actual part that shows being bent would be well out of it's sliding encasement half way through thge operation, but maybe the rest of it is twisted. The actual operating handle is hardened steel and if that is bent, I think it's pretty much impossible to get it back to shape.
George D. Paxinos

M998's
M1044
M1123A2

RockHillWill
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by RockHillWill » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 pm

A little bit more done this weekend. Wife is being of great help on this. Got the wires and connectors figured out for the wiper motor and installed with a new 'grommet' per the TM's. Took the windshield back off prior to that and siliconed the windshield items per George's suggestion. Taped both sides of the 'gap', ran the silicone, wiped it smooth , then removed the tape. It came out very nice. Aligned the doors, also per George's suggestion (Thanks!), and have ordered shims for both the windshield hinges and the roof/turret. Water jet guy called and is cutting the roof insulation today, will let it dry until the weekend, then install. I found the rear latch clips in the help section of an Advance store and have included pictures to show the part number. As was mentioned, I had to buy two sets at $6 ea. to get what I needed, but it looks appropriate.
Attachments
wcSunday 005.jpg
wcSunday 005.jpg (99.81 KiB) Viewed 40 times
wcSunday 004.jpg
wcSunday 004.jpg (110.44 KiB) Viewed 40 times
hatch 006.jpg
hatch 006.jpg (109.51 KiB) Viewed 40 times
hatch 003.jpg
hatch 003.jpg (107.94 KiB) Viewed 40 times
hatch 002.jpg
hatch 002.jpg (146.04 KiB) Viewed 40 times
camers1 014.jpg