Tire pressure and balancing

1985 - Present, Questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the Humvee. (NO AUCTION or EBAY)

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Tire pressure and balancing

Post by Action » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:58 pm

RockHillWill wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:54 pm
I'm not knowledgeable enough to make that decision. Can you run the screws in without dismounting the tires?
I have never seen them on HMMWV rims before, but they are used to hold tires to rims. Here is the first article that popped up. I never thought of it on our humvees until we started talking about the rubber turning inside.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/wheels ... screw-kit/

Jason

RockHillWill
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by RockHillWill » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:32 am

I do not know enough regarding the Humvee tires with run flats in them to contribute much info at this time, and my earlier comment was not about gluing the run flat to the tire, but an attempt to glue the run flat to the rim, assuming that the run flat did not extend from one sidewall inside to the other sidewall inside. If the run flat does in fact goes from sidewall to sidewall on the inside, there might be a simple solution to the 'rotating' run flat. I owned and crew chief'd Winston Cup stock cars for 24 years (no run flats) and no tire spinning issues, but then moved to a Top Dragster and Alcohol Funny cars and we consistently screwing the wheels to the tires as in that article, so I am comfortable with that process. Would it be possible to glue the tires to the run flats prior to inflation with a 'rubber glue' of some sort?

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:35 am

That could be a reasonable option, but may limit the runflat to one time use. The runflat does fit completely inside the tire from bead to bead.
With the work involved with screws or glue, I would just buy a set of the dynamic balancers.
The lube inside the tires is probably what causes the runflats to turn inside the wheel.

Jason

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:12 am

$6 for glue, $4 for screws, 3 hours of labor vs $2000 and I hour to remove and replace tires = gives me some serious thinking to do.

BalanceMaster sure would be easier and require less thinking or effort, but it might have a negative effect on my grocery budget, LOL.

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am

I know the rock crawlers attach their tires to the wheels with screws to keep them seated when they air them down but their wheels are still beaded where ours aren't so I don't know how well that'd work for us.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

dilvoy
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dilvoy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 am

The run flats are also bead locks at the same time. They are designed to be the perfect width so when you tighten the bolts for the two wheel halves, they put outwards pressure on the inner parts of the tire beads. I've put a couple of twelve bolters together with hand tools and it is in no way a loose fit inside the tire. From memory about half inch of squeeze was needed, but that was twenty years ago. Now I use an impact wrench so the feel is no longer there for the compression of the rubber. There is a special lube that is in a plastic packet inside of every Humvee wheel that is used to keep the tire from catching fire while being driven flat. That stuff is evenly spread inside of the tire after the bag breaks. The early run flats that were used with the eight bolt Humvee wheels, were made of magnesium and maybe other metals too. Those were for the Bias Ply tires and those wheels are weak. I don't think any mixing of those into a radial setup should be done. There is also the issue of the two wheel halves being positioned by the twelve or twenty four studs. It is not a perfect fitment by any means. AM General put out some sort of washers as a fix for balance issues on Hummers, that would be placed beneath two or three wheel half nuts while a wheel was being assembled to keep the outer wheel disk half better lined up with the inner wheel part. Just think of a flat copper washer that was stamped to have a protrusion at it's center hole enough to fill the space between the wheel half stud and the hole for the stud. Since the outer wheel half is a disk and is what is bolted to the spindle, the whole rest of the wheel, runflat and half the tire are working against those studs so maybe there is movement at that point instead of the run flat being the only thing that might move. Final torque of those wheel half studs is over 100 lb. ft.
George D. Paxinos

M998
M1123A2

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:41 am

Another issue I had with the 12 bolt wheels was that I wasn't torquing them properly when I changed tires. I used a long 1/2" breaker bar and tightened them to where I thought they felt tight. What was happening was I'd be driving down the road and all the sudden I'd hear what sounded like a pistol shot. It didn't matter what speed I was going or if I was on a straight or curve section of road. Bang! I'd get out and would see 1 or two studs broken off at the wheel face.

What it turned out to be was uneven torque on the wheel bolts. I aired down all my tires and retorqued all the bolts in a two step process, I torqued them to 75 pounds and then to 110. Since doing this I haven't broken a stud so be aware that it's important to torque them properly. In the long run I don't know whether I was overtorquing them or undertorquing them but when working on your wheels and tires keep this in mind.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

RockHillWill

Post by RockHillWill » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:39 am

WOW! That is great advice. I will be sure to make a note of that.

Ted Gates
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Ted Gates » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am

If a stud is broken off the rim, then the adjacent studs (one on each side of broken stud) shall be replaced and torqued to specifications. Improper care of rims can cause serious injury and or death.

TM92320387241

Action
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Action » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:09 pm

This is the lube that i remember from my parts selling days....
it is an 11 oz tube and is $49.56 at Lynch.
I never knew if that was 1 tube per tire or just a little bit or ???

Jason

Return to “Humvee Technical Knowledge Base -”