MVPA Affiliate

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

MVPA Affiliate

Post by Ed Roberts » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Is my beloved MVCC no longer affiliated with the MVPA? I've noted in the current and recent past issues of Supply Line we are not listed. Curious.
Best, Eddie
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: MVPA Affiliate

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 am

Eddy,
We would love to see the MVCC back. It is certainly important that we all work together as part of an international organization. The future holds many challenges, as well as opportunities, related to our mission of historic military vehicle preservation. It is unfortunate that leadership within the MVCC has lost sight of the benefits provided to ALL MV owners by being part of a larger coalition. The MVPA does require that our affiliates officers maintain their personal MVPA membership. My understanding is that the MVCC leadership has chosen to not be a part of the HMV community at large and are not MVPA members. Perhaps the MVCC members could chip in and assist their leadership by subsidizing the cost of their MVPA dues?
I am certain that we will all be better off as part of a larger force. While no one organization can be a perfect fit for each individual I am proud to be part of an organization that accomplishes much towards the continued use and preservation of what I feel are important, tangible, relics of history.
Any assistance I can give towards a better partnership with the MVCC is available upon request.
Thanks for your interest and have a safe and enjoyable holiday season.
Merry Christmas
Kevin Lockwood
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks Kevin for your input. Any MVCC Board members care to comment on this subject?
Best, Eddie
V/r Eddie
MVPA & MVCC

ndnile
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by ndnile » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Everyone is free to be, or not be, in whatever organization they choose. At the last spring Petaluma event the leadership all but begged for more people to step up. I don't think that anyone did, me included. This being an understandable concern to many, it might be reasonable for the officers to go on record if they are members of MVPA at election time (if this is indeed the reason), but with no one running against them I don't see much benefit to this. MVPA or not, I thank them for stepping up when so many of us do not.

Cheers, Doug
Doug
Sacramento Area
1943 Willys MB
1943 GPW-125334 (Sold)
1962 M170
1959 Willys Wagon

chasendeer
G-Major
G-Major

Post by chasendeer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 pm

IT sounds ridiculous to not be on the same page as the MVPA.
Jay

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 am

That is odd. I thought the MVCC held the MVPA annual convention in 2016, so I had always believed the club was a member... :? Sounds complicated.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:18 am

While I was not a part of the decision making process within the MVCC I can only share the points that I know and/or have been told. The MVCC was a long time affiliate of the MVPA. Prior to the 2016 International show the MVPA board was asked to allow the MVCC to maintain their affiliate status but not be held to the standard that the officers of an affiliate be current members of the MVPA. After the 2016 show I had four plus hours of conversations trying to build a workable path to continuing the affiliate status of the MVCC. I feel that having the officers of an affiliate be required to be members of the MVPA is not too much to ask. We as historic military vehicle owners need to step up. Not only should the officers have the best interest of all HMV owners at heart it would be nice to assume that these individuals would be inspired to recruit MVPA members. If you have an incredible officer that simply cannot afford the MVCC and/or MVPA dues it would seem that the club could in fact subsidize this cost to the individual.
When the MVPA had input during the EPA/DoD discussions regarding termination of ALL military vehicle sales to the public it was great to have a large membership number to back us up. Currently we are assisting members in 2 states regarding registration of MVs, we continue to work on International shows. We will not be able to move forward if we splinter into little 500 member regional clubs.
Sorry for the wordy response.
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by timsresort » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Hmm, why no explanation from our Board?
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:12 pm

OK. MVCC/MVPA affiliation: Since I've gotten no answer from any MVCC Board member, I will conclude that 1) we are no longer affiliates, and 2) it is not necessary for our Board members to respond to reasonable questions about our club. Strong organizations thrive on good communications. Silence, however, can speak volumes as well.
V/r Eddie Roberts
V/r Eddie
MVPA & MVCC

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:34 pm

I have not been monitoring this forum for a while. I am busy with family business pertaining to the ongoing care of an elderly family member.
The rest of my free time has been given to repairing and selling off most of my International trucks and parts so I can concentrate on the vehicles I plan on keeping. I have not had a vehicle at the meets in recent years and would like to bring one to go on the awesome rides out to the coast in April. I am sure over the years many have noticed my fickle MV tastes. I love them all and that has caused me to have rethink about keeping them all. That’s how this all started for me so that’s how it will finish.
With that said here is my response to this post. I have no doubt that other MVCC officers will have read this post but are staying quiet because they think the MVCC President should respond to this.
Please see my comments below in CAPS. NO I AM NOT SHOUTING :)
Kevin Lockwood wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 am
Eddy,
We would love to see the MVCC back. It is certainly important that we all work together as part of an international organization. The future holds many challenges, as well as opportunities, related to our mission of historic military vehicle preservation. It is unfortunate that leadership within the MVCC has lost sight of the benefits provided to ALL MV owners by being part of a larger coalition.
THE MVCC BOARD HAS NOT "LOST SIGHT" OF WHAT THE MVPA DOES AND WHO IT REPRESENTS. WE ACTIVELY ENCOURAGE MEMBERS TO CONSIDER THE MVPA AND WE PUBLISH YOUR MEMBER APP. THIS HAS NOT CHANGED SINCE THE MVPA SPRUNG FROM ITS BEGINNINGS IN CALIFORNIA TO BE A NATIONAL CLUB AND WE IN OUR AREA BECAME A "CHAPTER." WE HAVE NOT DECIDED TO LEAVE THE MVPA AS AN AFFILIATE. WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR REQUIREMENT THAT ALL TEN OF OUR BOARD MEMBERS BE REQUIRED TO BE IN THE MVPA.
SO YOU HAVE PULLED OUR AFFILIATION.
Kevin Lockwood wrote:
The MVPA does require that our affiliates officers maintain their personal MVPA membership. My understanding is that the MVCC leadership has chosen to not be a part of the HMV community at large and are not MVPA members.
NOT TRUE, AND THERE ARE SEVERAL OFFICERS WHO ARE MVPA MEMBERS. WE DO NOT THINK THAT IT SHOULD BE A REQUIREMENT FOR ALL CLUB OFFICERS TO BE MVPA MEMBERS. WE HAVE ASKED FOR A MODIFIED RULE, BASED ON ONE OF THE REQUIREMENTS TO FORM AN AFFILIATED CLUB, NAMELY THAT THERE BE A PRESIDENT, SECRETARY, AND NEWSLETTER EDITOR. ALL CLUBS ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE THESE THREE POSITIONS IN PLACE TO BE AN AFFILIATE. IT SEEMS REASONABLE TO REQUIRE THAT THEY BE MVPA MEMBERS IF FOR NO OTHER REASON THAT IT IS IMPORTANT FOR THE MVPA TO BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH MORE THAN ONE CLUB OFFICER, AND SO THEY NEED THE CURRENT CONTACT INFO.

THE MVCC IS UNLIKE MOST OR MAYBE ALL OTHER CLUBS BECAUSE WE HAVE REGIONAL VPS. OUR TERRITORY IS VERY LARGE AND WE ARE THE LARGEST MV CLUB IN NORTH AMERICA WITH NEARLY 500 MEMBERS NOT COUNTING ASSOCIATES (FAMILY). CAR CLUBS ARE INHERENTLY LOCAL. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE ABOUT CLUBS FOR OLD CARS. CLUBS LIKE THIS ARE MOSTLY ABOUT LOCAL EVENTS. MEMBERS GENERALLY DON'T GO 75+ MILES TO PARADES AND DISPLAYS. SO A LONG TIME AGO WE CREATED REGIONAL VPS TO GIVE MEMBERS IN VARIOUS AREAS THEIR OWN REPRESENTATIVE, WHO HELPS GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT REGIONAL EVENTS VIA REGULAR NEWSLETTER ARTICLES. WE ALSO BELIEVE THAT HAVING A LARGE BOARD IS GOOD FOR AN ORGANIZATION OF OUR SIZE BECAUSE IT EVENS OUT VOTES, WHICH IS HOW THE CLUB IS RUN.

OUR CHALLENGE THAT RELATES TO THIS CONVERSATION IS RECRUITING OFFICERS. AS WAS SAID WE OFTEN HAVE A HARD TIME FINDING A REPLACEMENT FOR AN OFFICER WANTING TO TAKE A BREAK. SO, WE MUST MAKE IT EASY TO BE AN OFFICER AND WE DECIDED TO NOT MAKE THEM JOIN THE MVPA. THEY JOIN BASED ON THE MERITS OF THE MVPA IN THEIR MINDS. THIS IS NOT A SLAM ON MVPA, IT IS SIMPLY THE FACT THAT THERE ARE SOME GOOD PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO DON'T LIKE JOINING MORE ORGANIZATIONS. YOUNG PEOPLE ARE LIKE THAT. SOME OTHERS MIGHT NOT LIKE THE MVPA FOR WHATEVER REASON. IT DOESN'T MATTER. SO THIS IS WHY WE HAVE ASKED MVPA TO CHANGE THEIR POLICY #4 ABOUT 100% OF CLUB OFFICERS BEING MVPA MEMBERS. OUR FOCUS IS WHAT WORKS FOR MVCC FIRST, MVPA SECOND.
Kevin Lockwood wrote:
Perhaps the MVCC members could chip in and assist their leadership by subsidizing the cost of their MVPA dues?
MONEY MIGHT ENTER INTO IT BUT IT IS NOT THE PRIMARY REASON FOR OUR POSITION.
Kevin Lockwood wrote:
I am certain that we will all be better off as part of a larger force. While no one organization can be a perfect fit for each individual I am proud to be part of an organization that accomplishes much towards the continued use and preservation of what I feel are important, tangible, relics of history.
MVCC MEMBERS CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS THIS LARGER FORCE. PERHAPS A THIRD OF OUR MEMBERS ARE MVPA. THAT NUMBER IS LARGER THAN MOST, MAYBE ALL OF YOUR AFFILIATED CLUB'S TOTAL MEMBERSHIPS. MANY DOZENS OF THEM WORKED ON THE 2016 CONVENTION WHICH MANY ATTENDEES THOUGHT WAS ONE OF THE BEST. IT SPIKED MVPA MEMBERSHIP, DIDN'T IT? WE THINK THE MVPA SHOULD FOCUS ON HAVING AN ORGANIZATION THE OTHER TWO THIRDS WILL WANT TO JOIN. THE MVPA IS SEVERAL THINGS: A MAGAZINE PUBLISHER, A CONVENTION ORGANIZER (WITH HELP FROM AN AFFILIATE), AND A LOBBYING GROUP. MAYBE THE MVPA OUGHT TO TALK MORE TO NON-MEMBERS ABOUT WHAT THEY DO. WE CAN HELP THROUGH OUR MAILED NEWSLETTER.

I HOPE THIS HELPS. IF ANY MEMBER WANTS TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE MVCC AND OUR POLICIES, ALL OFFICER CONTACT INFORMATION IS IN THE NEWSLETTER AND ON THE WEBSITE. PROBABLY THAT IS A BETTER PLACE TO START THAN POSTING A QUESTION ON A MESSAGE FORUM.
- DAVE BALL, MVCC PRESIDENT AND NEWSLETTER EDITOR
Kevin Lockwood wrote:
Any assistance I can give towards a better partnership with the MVCC is available upon request.
Thanks for your interest and have a safe and enjoyable holiday season.
Merry Christmas
Kevin Lockwood
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Dave, thanks for the information. That's all I was looking for. As an aside, I asked the question exactly where I thought it would get answered. All the best to you and everyone in the OD family.
V/r Eddie Roberts
1942 GPW #5739
1917-1955 Stuff, other, bunch of.
V/r Eddie
MVPA & MVCC

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:34 pm

As Moderator of this forum I'd like to say that I hope the comments Dave made at the beginning and end of his post are understood by everybody. This is not the best place to contact MVCC officers with questions, especially if impatient for an answer. Depending on what's going on in their lives, what time of year it is, and what event is coming up or not, they might not visit the forum every day or week. The newsletter and www.MVCCNews.net publish officer contact info, and there is a private message feature on this forum plus direct email if the user has turned this on.

The OP's question was best for the club president or secretary and my guess is anyone can contact Dave or Johnny and get a response about something important in 1-4 hours depending on how many oil changes they are in the middle of.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:22 pm

NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR:
I moved the posts about titling HMMWVs and other modern ex-military vehicles to their own thread on the MVCC forum. Steve brought this up here because it related to the MVPAs potential as a government lobbying force, which got this thread off track. More importantly, the titling subject is very important and deserved it's own, uhhh, title (no pun).

In one of Dave's posts in the thread about vehicle titling I spotted a line that pertained to this Affiliate conversation, before the topics were split. So I moved it here, again demonstrating God-like powers:
softskin_driver wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:34 pm
"Update on the MVCC MVPA affiliate situation: I have been in contact with Kevin Lockwood the current MVPA President and we are trying to work out some differences in the MVCC's interpretation of MVPA policy 4. So stayed tuned to the MVCC newsletter."
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Just wanted to call you-alls attention to what I just added to my post above - the comment by Dave.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

As a member of the MVCC and not the MVPA....I fully support Dave Ball's post above. If the President, Secretary and Editor meet the MVPA membership requirements, the status of any other member should not be a REQUIREMENT (with regard to the MVPA membership question) nor should it reflect on the club and its members in relationship to the MVPA in a negative way. A healthy, strong affiliate such as the MVCC does drive membership to the MVPA as a manner of course.

As an aside, the G503 also drives MVers to the MVCC membership rolls.

For an affiliate to have membership in both northern and southern California, and members in Oregon and provide a jeep meet once or twice a year that brings in MVers from those areas as well as Nevada and Arizona then the cub...and its officers MUST be doing something right.

Penalizing a heathy, widespread club such as the MVCC with regard to "requiring" all officers....meaning the regional V.P.s or any other "officers" this club or any other may elect to smoothly run the events and operations of the club is a bad idea.

Modify Rule #4.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “MVCC”