Fall 2017 Camp Delta at Tower Park Recap

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Fall 2017 Camp Delta at Tower Park Recap

Post by John Neuenburg » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:55 pm

The annual Camp Delta MV Gathering and Swap Meet at Tower Park Resort came and went, and it was a good one! Plenty of parts and militaria changed hands. There were some large surplus vendor booths there and many amateurs with original parts for sale. Does it seem like folks are starting to clear out their sheds? 66 MVs were there begging to have tires kicked, 77 sites and cabins were rented - typical Fall turnout, it wasn't hot, and much socializing happened as usual including a Ladies Afternoon Social on Friday (at Camp Petaluma they decided to call themselves the "Spark Plugs." The boys in the motor pool are wondering what heat range.....)

This was the first Fall meet where our Jo-Ann Lesser volunteered to work with campground management to assign who camps where, like she does every April. This was also the first time we focused on Campground 2 and it’s southern extension CG 3, by the levee ramps. There was a BIG improvement in how the event looked with our allotted campground dominated by MVers. Thanks Jo-Ann! It's a better swap meet when our own people are side-by-side. Less walking to shop and more security for the sellers. CG 2 and 3 are more shady than parts of 4, with little dust, and are amazingly sheltered from the westerly wind due to the levee, boat barn, and large trees. The palms were rustling Wednesday afternoon but down at ground level it was quite calm where Marilynn and I were hanging out.Typically when we were in CG 4 where the pools and play structures are, KOA assigned sites and we could not keep them from inserting "civilians" and "partyers" in our midst. That's where those folks wanted to be. This has been solved by us moving to 2 and 3. We are close to the marina, restaurant, bar, Sunset Sweets, and store. Jellystone Park got what they wanted because they had CG 4 wide open for families which is their target demographic.

Chip Port's trucks and the author's British Special Air Service jeep replica in the afternoon backlight. If you went to Camp Petaluma, the rare APC was Chip's. He makes a big effort to bring MVs to our meets all the way from Yreka, helping balance out people who are close but don't bring anything!!!

Dave Ball did an excellent job convincing the Jellystone Park manager to not enforce day user fees and other rules that are common at campgrounds with attractions. We could park anywhere on our sites, and levee road parking worked well for our commuters with no parking fee. It was just like any other Tower Park event except they wanted a larger deposit for camping and cabins, and was a little more expensive despite our discount. The tighter cancellation policy we thought would be in place was apparently not enforced. Dave believes everybody who had to cancel their trip or certain days were accommodated and refunds given if owed.

The MVCC Board is working out the deal for 2018 and it looks like the same week in September is planned, 9/18-23, 2018. They are also looking at an optional location for this event "just in case." Many of us like Tower's central location, restaurant, and excellent swap meet layout. We will have one MV run offsite - the return of the A&W Root Beer Run and Display. Do you know A&W Root Beer started in Lodi? This restaurant commemorates it. There is a good, scenic route which gets us off Hwy 12 only 3.4 miles to the east. I doubt if we will schedule a run on another day, so vendors do not worry everybody will be gone for days!

We saw the extensive renovation in CG 1, which used to be for long term renters. You go by it driving on the levee road. It's all cleaned out and they were pouring new, long, concrete RV pads with patios. We can use this area. They will be taking out the white fence so it links with CG2. In fact the CG 1 entrance ramp near the guard shack and the new office will be the entrance to all campgrounds. The current ramp into CG 2 will supposedly be eliminated as a vehicle entry. So this traffic plan means a parts seller who chooses CG 1 to get a modern, RV pull-through site will be visible to everybody who enters the campgrounds. Same goes for MVers with big equipment. More sites without having to bleed into CG 4 means we can advertise the meet more and grow.

If you took photos, please send to Dave and post different ones here! If you don’t know how to, look for posts about how to do that, or email them to me and I will help.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: Fall 2017 Camp Delta at Tower Park Recap

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:22 pm

I was only able to manage day-tripping this year on Thursday and Friday. I too noticed that we generally looked as packed-in as we always do there in previous April events so if we can wrangle Camp One that would open up some additional spaces. I thought the weather both days was great, not too hot or too cool...don't know how it was overnight, but at least no rain, dust or wind to contend with or...colder or hotter temps!

The club did a great job this year with both the April and Sept meets being disrupted as far as how they have been done ever since we moved to Tower Park, Tower Park KOA and now Camp Jellystone. Thanks to all who worked on bringing the event off and as always, a big "atta girl!" to Jo-Ann for putting up with all of us...again....to make sense out of the changes at both places this year.

As they say, the only constant is change itself...so we gotta roll with the punches as there just aren't many options for us with a group this size in the area.

Kudos and Thanks!

Chuck
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

chasendeer
G-Major
G-Major

Post by chasendeer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:08 pm

Chuck
Great assessment of the event!! Jo-Ann and the rest of the club does a great job!! The bottom line is that we have to support the club event, no matter where it is at. If we don't we will soon be without!!
Jay

Mitch Olson
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mitch Olson » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:36 am

John, Chuck;

I agree totally with the contents of both of your posts. Well said.

Though I did not bring anything to sell this time. I seen a lot of green rusty stuff changing hands and I even bought a few tid bits that I have been looking for-for a long time.

I like the fact that Jelly Stone now has curb side trash pickup every day as well as collecting our ashes from our camp fire pits. Nice touch if you ask me.

Thanks Jo-Anne and all.

Mitch
'Jeepless' In Kalifornia

I am not a Complete Idiot, I am just like a jeep...some parts are missing!

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:16 am

They are spending a lot of money on the place. I just hope they leave a lot of the big grass RV sites with all lawn instead of paving a patio and parking place. That can limit where we put tent pins. Some sites have been "improved" that way.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:24 pm

I made some edits to the original post, adding dates for next September, info about Campground 1 improvements, and announcing a MV road run.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by timsresort » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:55 pm

John, thanks for the update. Kind of lost track, with all the uncertainty about the fall meet, when should we place a deposit on our site for next fall? Tim
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:10 pm

timsresort wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:55 pm
John, thanks for the update. Kind of lost track, with all the uncertainty about the fall meet, when should we place a deposit on our site for next fall? Tim
Jo-Ann talked about that in the last newsletter. They are welcoming us back and are taking deposits now. It will be 25% of your stay with another 25% due by July 1, 2018. Remaining balance due at check-in. Any site without deposit on February 1, 2018 will be considered open and available. This means although Jo-Ann is the one putting names on sites and cabins, at some point the reservation staff will place "civilians" in our area if they request that. Most of them prefer to be in Campground 4 where all the play facilities and pools are, however it could be someone will want to be in "our" area closer to the marina and restaurant. So we want everybody to ask Jo-Ann for a site and put a deposit down before that happens. Let's try for a 100% MV crowd in our campgrounds!

If anybody has talked to her about changing sites, those changes have already been given to the reservation staff. They won't accept a reservation deposit unless your name is on the specific campsite or cabin list Jo-Ann gives them. Go to www.towerparkresort.com to learn about the campsites and cabins, see a facility map, and get the phone number for paying your deposit.

Prices that reflect our 25% discount are listed on page 2 of MVCC News issue 9.

Jo-Ann is hoping to place large RVs and fifth wheels in the Campground 1 and 3 pull-throughs, since Campground 2 has back-in sites and are perfect for smaller RVs, tent trailers, and tents. For those who have not been there, on the map CG 2 and 3 are at the top next to the levee road. CG 3 is on the left with the cabins and pull-throughs. CG 2 is the big area, and CG 1 is not shown as of this writing. It is an extension of CG 2 towards the new office and old guard shack. This map will be updated at some point.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:55 pm

Hey John....remember this one:

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

That concrete makes it really hard on us old guys when we fall down, pass out or spend too much time with the Captain.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:35 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:55 pm
Hey John....remember this one:

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

That concrete makes it really hard on us old guys when we fall down, pass out or spend too much time with the Captain.
That's why you and the rest of the Odd Squadders should stick with those generous 40x40 grass sites. Just sayin....
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “MVCC”