Camp Petaluma Replacing SPRING Tower Park 4/18-23/17

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Camp Petaluma Replacing SPRING Tower Park 4/18-23/17

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:23 am

On 3/26/17 I edited the event post on the EVENTS forum to say that Jo-Ann reports the Petaluma KOA is full with a wait list. We welcome day users to buy, socialize, kick tires, participate in events, and bring their MV. Note the info over there about sharing campsites, and making room for day-user's MVs for one or more days. There are many hotels in Petaluma and nearby cities. Here is the link to the event post:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=281399

As MVCC newsletter readers and others who check out this forum know, the 2017 Spring meet will be at the KOA campground in Petaluma, CA with official dates April 18-23, 2017. An event announcement with details, a facility map, and a few photos of the place is over on the EVENTS forum. We won't duplicate the details here. There is also info up on http://www.MVCCNews.net including an interactive map so you can see who is penciled-in for every site.

For campsite and cabin requests and activities-related questions or suggestions, go directly to the people listed, or you can write posts in that thread. Click here to go there - there are many updated as of 3/6/17:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=281399

AFTER YOU TALK TO JO-ANN AND SHE ASSIGNS YOU A SITE OR CABIN, CONTACT KOA ASAP TO PUT A DEPOSIT ON IT OR RISK LOSING IT! This is like any hotel or KOA campground.

The Fall Camp Delta swap meet is still scheduled for the third week of September at Tower Park. Unlike before, this meet is planned for Campgrounds 2, 3, plus 1 which is the one below the boating businesses, formerly used for long term RV/trailer camping. UPDATE: Jo-Ann Lesser has volunteered to coordinate who camps where like she does for the Spring meet. You may contact her NOW to pick a site. mamalesser@yahoo.com
Last edited by John Neuenburg on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Re: West Coast MV Swap Meet & Gathering, Replacing Tower Par

Post by The Fireman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:48 pm

John,

Is there a designated area for car trailer parking within the campground and what about security for same.

Thanks,

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

Greg Lalonde
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Greg Lalonde » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:21 pm

hey john. just wondering if you,or someone, is going to try to organize a convoy to,lets say maybe dillon beach or something similar? that would be a great ride.

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:36 pm

The Fireman wrote:John,

Is there a designated area for car trailer parking within the campground and what about security for same.

Thanks,

Frank
This is similar to Tower Park in that it is possible to park your car hauler in your campsite if you have room. There are many campsites that are longer than the squarish ones at Tower, so they can work well for that. On the other hand the size of these lend themselves to sharing with other people which lowers the cost per party. In this case parking the trailer and extra cars somewhere else can make sense. We encourage sharing because we can fit more people in.

There are large fields next to the KOA that are much larger than the trailer parking field at Tower, but we are not sure how soggy they get during rainy periods. Rainfall in Petaluma is not much different than in the Delta. It can be dry in April, or generally dry with an occasional rainy day or three.

There is some more reliably dry parking nearby and we are looking at that but not ready to announce anything yet. Stay tuned!
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Greg Lalonde wrote:hey john. just wondering if you,or someone, is going to try to organize a convoy to,lets say maybe dillon beach or something similar? that would be a great ride.
Good thinking. I have not heard any proposals for trips. There may be things brewing but if I don't know about them, I can't help advertise them. I create the display ads that appear in Military Vehicles Magazine and in the MVPA's Supply Line magazine, so let's see some ideas folks - who wants to help? This place is a natural for exercising your MVs. Lets pass the word so folks get their MVs ready for some runs.

A Dillon Beach trip would be good, as would a big loop to Freestone, Occidental, Monte Rio, Guerneville, Forestville, Sebastopol, back to Petaluma. Longer loops can include Bodega Bay, Jenner, Duncans Mills. Then there is the Coast Guard base at Two Rock. Oh, and shopping/dining trips into Petaluma. Does everybody know that the 1960s TV series Combat! filmed episodes at Duncans Mills, Korbel Vinyards, and Hop Kiln Winery? Visit those places with your MV!
Last edited by John Neuenburg on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

The Fireman
U.S.M.C. Veteran
U.S.M.C. Veteran

Post by The Fireman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm

John,

Thanks for the information.

Frank
The Fireman
NRG

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Re: Camp Petaluma Replacing SPRING Tower Park 4/18-23/17

Post by John Neuenburg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:06 am

Important update in original post. This weekend I will also mod the official event post on the Events forum to talk about the Friday MV road run loop to Bodega Bay for lunch, a tentative military radio activity on Thursday, and info about the Friday dinner and party, with live music sponsored by the MVCC.
Last edited by John Neuenburg on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:08 am

Check out the many updates on the post in the Events forum: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=281399

Regarding some questions asked earlier, there are now two MV road runs on the schedule to different places on the coast, with longer loop options. We now have access to the fenced trailer storage yard at the north end of the property. The owner is making it off limits to tenants during our week, so we can park trailers in there and autos/pickups that don't fit in the campsites, subject to it filling up. It is unlikely that the large grass fields below the office/pool area will be dry enough for parking. We might be able to use the field by the corner of Rainsville Road and the KOA entrance road. Elevation is higher than the other fields. We might get permission to use the lot across the street from nearby Henny Penny Restaurant. More will be published about parking later.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Mitch Olson
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mitch Olson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:40 pm

John,

Kind of off topic but are there camp fire pits at Petaluma? I am the 'Wood Baron" for the 'Odd Squad'. Can't tell from the maps or google earth if they have any fire rings or pits.

Mitch.
'Jeepless' In Kalifornia

I am not a Complete Idiot, I am just like a jeep...some parts are missing!

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Mitch Olson wrote:John,

Kind of off topic but are there camp fire pits at Petaluma? I am the 'Wood Baron" for the 'Odd Squad'. Can't tell from the maps or google earth if they have any fire rings or pits.

Mitch.
Hi Lumber Lord,
Nothing is off topic as long as it's topical. Yes there are fire rings at cabins and campsites but not sure about every one. You should ask KOA if your site has one.

KOA website: http://koa.com/campgrounds/san-francisco/
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Mitch Olson
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mitch Olson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:06 am

Thanks John,

I will bring some down anyway.... somebody can use it if we don't....and after the storms up here in Grass Valley this winter and all the tree's we lost to the winds... Well, suffice to say I have about 10 cords of oak that needs to be used up.

See you in a few weeks. And many thanks for your efforts to keep this club going.

Mitch
'Jeepless' In Kalifornia

I am not a Complete Idiot, I am just like a jeep...some parts are missing!

shorty3375
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by shorty3375 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:03 am

Are we allowed to drive around on a Mule as long as it is kept to on road and slow speed ?Would Love to be able to see whole park .But I can not walk it .

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by timsresort » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Man, I hope so.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 pm

deleted, sort of
Last edited by John Neuenburg on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:40 pm

shorty3375 wrote:Are we allowed to drive around on a Mule as long as it is kept to on road and slow speed ?Would Love to be able to see whole park .But I can not walk it .
No problem.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “MVCC”