IS TOWER PARK GOING TO BE AGAIN?

Military Vehicle Collectors of California Club Forum.

Moderator: John Neuenburg

GRAVEDIGGER
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
IS TOWER PARK GOING TO BE AGAIN?

Post by GRAVEDIGGER » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:46 pm

I just got off the phone with Tower Park and it sounds like a lot of changes going on with the new owners.
Reduction of camp sites because they are making them bigger for RVs.
They told me they do not know if we will have space for next year.
Is there plans for moving to some other park?
I hate to see this go away.
Mike

mspeters
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: IS TOWER PARK GOING TO BE AGAIN?

Post by mspeters » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:06 pm

A recent press blurb from the new owners. Less campsites, more cottages.

http://www.recordnet.com/article/201608 ... /160819877

199th MP
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by 199th MP » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:37 am

i just read the article, which stated that the end result will be 100 more cottages, and FIVE tent sites. that is a significant change, and i will be interested to hear what Kurt Lesser has to say about this, in regard to future planned Camp Delta events.

softskin_driver
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by softskin_driver » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:48 pm

The MVCC Board has been talking with the new Jellystone management team and for now the biggest change besides that to management is to the "dry camping area" They have moved the jump pillow and are adding the volleyball area.
One thing every MVCC member should know is that the Spring swapmeet has had several locations over the years and has been held annually going back to the 1970's. This club will always have a spring swapmeet.
The board has already been discussing our options. Come to the Fall swapmeet in a few weeks we are going to try and get the Jellystone Park managers to come to the General membership meeting Saturday morning where you can ask them questions directly.
Keep an eye on the newsletter for more details.
Above all else lets not speculate or start a panic until we know more info about actual planned changes from the new managers directly. Then we can decide on the proper course of action if any is needed.
See you all in a few weeks at Camp Delta. (Jellystone Park) :)
Dave Ball
MVCC, President, Editor
MVPA 9377
http://www.mvccnews.net
1942 USA Dodge WC-24
1942 USN Dodge WC-56

Trojan
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Trojan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:50 am

What and where is "Jellystone Park." Is this the new name for Tower Park, Camp Delta ?

Jetnoise400
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Jetnoise400 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Trojan wrote:What and where is "Jellystone Park." Is this the new name for Tower Park, Camp Delta ?
Stockton Delta KOA was recently sold to Jellystone Park. They are similar to KOA in that they operate numerous campgrounds nationwide. Same place, new owner/management.

The MVCC Spring meet is still called "Camp Delta".
Sean Nichols
MVCC Webmaster

'42 IHC FFN-3 Crash Truck (resto in progress)
'85 M1038 HMMWV

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:04 pm

We can call it Tower Park for as long as the place is called Tower Park Resort, or Camp Delta which has been it's official name for years. Here is some history for you trivia fans on a lazy Saturday...

Tower Park Resort was (is?) the name of the place and it has been called "Tower Park" by boaters and campers for years. After we did the deal to move the meet during the last Big Bear Park meet in 2003, we adopted the descriptive term. When KOA came in 2005 I think it was, the campground became Stockton Delta KOA but the TP name continued for the marina and the billboard by the highway still featured TPR. The signature water tower is still there. If the Jellystone people own the whole place and remove TP from the name of the marina, then at some point using the TP name for the place will confuse our newbies. The restaurant is still called Rosa's at Tower Park.

In fact this is the reason why I as the TP activities and marketing guy have always liked calling the event by a name that could continue regardless of the name of the place changing, or even if it was moved. During the 12 months of chatter before the first event, some of us talked about creating a formal event name. VP Jerry Mambretti was first to bring it up in the newsletter. In his March 2004 article he said, "Speaking of Tower Park...It's an OK name for a campground but not for a military vehicle meet. I submit we have a contest to rename the meet at Tower Park. Something with a higher testosterone level and a military feeling. Any suggestions? Camp Delta? Delta Ops? Camp 4 Bits? Come on, help me out here. The Tower Park meet sounds like a place for the Madame's to have a High Tea but for an MVCC meet? Come on. Let's work on this name thing." In his April article he floated the name "Delta Motor T." Always thinking, that Jerry.

My idea was "Delta Bivouac" and since the Board hadn't decided on a name, in the April 2004 newsletter ad for the meet I titled it "First Annual Delta Bivouac at Tower Park." But Camp Delta won out because it's a better name - descriptive of the delta region and very military. In a post-event newsletter, VP Jack Valenti said "... Tower Park, sorry Camp Delta..." So it appears there was consensus about adopting that name. So most ads and event forum posts I have written have used the name "Camp Delta at Tower Park Resort" but I don't think the MVCC Board has ever voted on that. "Tower Park" is used by people 90% of the time.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:19 pm

Any update to this since the September Camp delta has passed? One rumor I heard was that a camp in Petaluma was being considered?
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:01 pm

Marty, SoCal wrote:Any update to this since the September Camp delta has passed? One rumor I heard was that a camp in Petaluma was being considered?
Yes the Tower Park campsite consolidations turning many pairs into single pull-throughs, additional cabins, and new recreation facilities, mean the place will not have enough spaces for our annual Spring meet. Also there will be considerable construction over the winter and well into May. It is a possibility for the smaller Fall meet however.

There is a campground being considered but as of this writing the dates, rates, and other details are not set. The MVCC president Dave Ball is doing the negotiating and he will publicize details on the MVCC website, newsletter, and here at some point.

I think there is some misinformation floating around and it would be bad if people call or visit the proposed campground AND tell the staff the event is set, or try to negotiate something, or choose a site. It can complicate the negotiation. I say this as a professional negotiator. It is likely our volunteer will be coordinating who camps where and when. Like the way the Spring meet has run for many years.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Marty, SoCal
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Marty, SoCal » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Cool, please update this thread as more "Official" info comes in.

Hope you can find a suitable location further south for us so-cal boys! :wink: :mrgreen:
43 Ford GPW 92098
53 Dunbar Kapple M100
Sold: 61 CJ-5, 41 T207 WC-1 Dodge closed cab pickup
MVPA #8266
USMC Tanker (1811, 1812), 85-93
ASE Automotive Master tech, former Chrysler-Jeep Level 4 Mastertech, CA state EA smog license

Jetnoise400
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Jetnoise400 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:48 am

Keep calm. Everything will be just fine. :) The more you commit to and participate in any given event, the better it is for everyone.
Last edited by Jetnoise400 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Nichols
MVCC Webmaster

'42 IHC FFN-3 Crash Truck (resto in progress)
'85 M1038 HMMWV

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Writing this on 10/29.

It looks like we will be in the Petaluma KOA in April of 2017 and hopefully for years to come. It's a very nice park with plenty of peripheral activities throughout Sonoma County. As at Tower Park, please make all reservations through JoAnn Lesser so that the MVCC and KOA can maximize usage of the sites we have available. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE PARK DIRECTLY! JoAnn will then notify KOA and then they will contact you for site deposits. The MVCC does not handle any monetary transactions regarding these events.

Getting back to the original question I'm sure it has to do with April but it is also relevant to next September. Right now with Lodi in flux we don't know how the park will look then but there is still a chance that we can use campground 2 for our meet. There is nothing in the works right now but it is a possibility. Let the MVCC Board work on it and stay current by visiting the MVCC webpage often for the latest information.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 am

We'll put up some details soon about the Petaluma meet, which will be the same third week of April.

At this point we have no plans to move away from Tower Park for the September meet but the campgrounds are going to be revamped and the manager has not given us the campsite layout to work with yet. There is a good chance the event will be concentrated in Campground 2 and 3, not 4 where we usually are in September.
Last edited by John Neuenburg on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:52 pm

There is an event announcement over on the EVENTS forum. That's where we'll put updates and news that relate to the big audience.
MVPA 7404
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “MVCC”