Wiring Harness WC51 rotary vs pull switch types

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
thunder37
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Wiring Harness WC51 rotary vs pull switch types

Post by thunder37 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Guys,

I am putting together a wiring harness for my 1942 WC51. Its not gonna be a perfect restoration, but I need a wire harness as the old one is gone.

I have access to an NOS lower chassis harness and will buy it.

Found an NOS Upper Chassis Harness at a very good price, but it is for late war rotary light switch use. This comment was from another post on G503: "It is New Old Stock (NOS) factory original Dodge T214 upper chassis wiring harness CC-1089071 for the Dodge ¾ ton 4x4 Command Car (less radio) WC-56 and WC-57 and Weapon Carriers WC-51 and WC-52, all of which must have the LATE WAR 5 position ROTARY HEADLIGHT SWITCH. "

My question is, why can't I just take the wires for the rotary switch and put them on the corresponding pull switch terminals? Even if I had to add a jumper if they aren't long enough, it ought to work or at least get me close, right?

I have all the wiring diagrams for the early war WC51 but none for late war with the rotary switch.

Anybody got one of those diagrams?

Any help with this would be appreciated!

Brent

BAR man
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Wiring Harness WC51 rotary vs pull switch types

Post by BAR man » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Brent,
I to am searching for a late war rotary diagram. called Patrick at Portrayal Press and he does not have anything in any of the Change?Updated manuals.
I would be interested in a lower harness. Anymore available?
Jeff
1942 GPW 74680
1942 Bantam 1/4 T 8612
1944 WC 51 81751827
1945 GEMCO 1/4 T

thunder37
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by thunder37 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Unfortunately when I received my harness it was perhaps a European variant and way too different to even modify and use. The gentleman was gracious and refunded my investment. So I can either repair, or replace mine. It does seem unlikely to find nice harness assemblies which are not sold as full sets. I did buy 3 upper chassis assemblies for late war open bodies with the rotary switch. It is a simple mod to use on my early war pull switch. They are NOS perfect condition. If interested I would sell one or two, but you may not even need them.
Thanks
I will keep you posted.

Mike Hiott
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Mike Hiott » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:08 am

Is this the diagram you are looking for?
Attachments
Upper.PNG
Upper.PNG (146.46 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Mike Hiott

1942 Script GPW 44377
1942 Columbia MG48776
1943 WC52 S/N: 81610350
1944 Bantam Trailer
M1A1 Mortar Hand Cart

thunder37
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by thunder37 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Mike,

That is a push-pull switch version, early war. From what I gather, there may not be a TM change that documents the change to rotary type switches. I don't know why, seems like it would be officially documented somewhere...

I was able to find exactly that information for the MB/GPW. I deduced from looking at push-pull and rotary switch schematics that the two vehicles are wired very similarly. Same BO light set up, similar panel lights, similar brake lights and headlights and all that jazz. Therefore I THINK I have penciled in a few changes needed for the rotary. As it turns out, all the same items are being operated, but not all through the light switch. So you just have to make a few changes and drive on with the MB/GPW rotary diagram as a reference.

Thanks!

Brent

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”