Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 pm

While I try to get the Carryall project straight in my mind, I decided to check out a supposedly NOS transfer case that came with my Command Car project that I had tossed in a corner. darn that thing is heavy:

Popped it open to see what's what. Outside was a little dirty, but not all oily like they usually are by the time I acquire them:

Appears to me this thing has never had any oil in it. There is no oil film whatsoever. Even the gasket exposed on the inside doesn't look like it contacted oil. Appears like a fresh coating of red Glyptal or the like:

The races and the bearings look brand new as well. I think I will clean it up and put it back together. That would scratch one thing off the Carryall project list.

Ralph hung out with me. He is really liking just hanging out in the various vehicles:

Also, put up a new photo in the garage to represent the women of the era. Actresses actually. Can anyone name what movie this still photo is from and name the actresses? One of these actresses had a very sad ending... :(

Movie still:
CC 24.JPG
What Movie??
CC 24.JPG (66.62 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

tractor12
banned

Post by tractor12 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:04 pm

Keep your powder dry
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Your_Powder_Dry

Just watched this the other week on TCM
WC12 Wc 27 2 K38s Mz2 ambulance jeep 2 M3a4s M1a1 Chemical Mortar cart T4e1 usmc cart convertible

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:29 pm

tractor12 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:04 pm
Keep your powder dry
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Your_Powder_Dry

Just watched this the other week on TCM
Yep. Susan Peters, the women on the right side of the photo, accidentally shot herself in a hunting accident and became a paraplegic three months before the movie was released in 1945. She died seven years later. Quite tragic...

Actually some great vehicles in the movie.
Zeph

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:30 am

zepher11 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 pm
While I try to get the Carryall project straight in my mind, I decided to check out a supposedly NOS transfer case that came with my Command Car project that I had tossed in a corner.

Zeph,
That is one great looking TC. Knowing you it will be up and running quickly.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:38 am

17thAirborne wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:30 am
That is one great looking TC. Knowing you it will be up and running quickly.
Wouldn't it be nice if everything we took apart to restore was this nice? I don't think it will be the case as I get further into this project. 8)
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:54 am

DaninNM wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:12 pm
"....I have a slightly bent rear frame member where the pintle hook mounts....still trying to figure out how to bend it back and bolt the pintle on....can't heat with a torch - too close to the gas tank....not sure how to got bent - was that way before I got the truck."
Here is the photo of the rear frame of my WC26. It's in pretty bad shape. Someone welded in a bunch of I-beam and butchered it pretty good. A big chunk of 1/2" plate is welded on the inside where the bolt holes for the pintle hitch would be. I may need to cut out and replace the whole thing. I do have a WC13 frame as a donor. I'm not sure if the rear cross members were the same for both. I need to find a good photo of the rear cross member on a WC26.

I also have a lot of other frame work to do around the steering box that someone butchered as well as the front cross member. There will be a lot of work on the frame in general:

Zeph

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:48 am

My rear cross member is bent and the pintle is not installed - these following photos are of another guys WC26 that did have the pintle - there is a angle bracket that is used for the attachment.....two hoes on the frame member and two holes on the bracket....the pic below with nopintle is my BENT rear frame member
Attachments
DSCF1372-sm.jpg
DSCF1372-sm.jpg (216.41 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
DSCF1367-sm.jpg
DSCF1367-sm.jpg (203.85 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
DSCF1366-sm.jpg
DSCF1366-sm.jpg (224.69 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
DSCF1364-sm.jpg
DSCF1364-sm.jpg (192.09 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
DSCF1362-sm.jpg
DSCF1362-sm.jpg (178.08 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
DSCF6776-sm.jpg
DSCF6776-sm.jpg (144.99 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
reenacting and WWII history

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Okay, thank you for the photos! It looks just like my Command Car rear cross member and the WC13's. I think I have another donor frame from a WC21 that might even be in better shape then the WC13's. May have to grind out the rivets and replace the whole thing. Might be easier in the long run. Need to see if I have a pintle hitch lying around now.
Zeph

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:40 pm

the pintle, I was told, was specific to the Dodge.....I hunted and fond one for sale at the national last year.
I have to make the bracket that you see that bolts to the lower part of the pintle and the underside of the frame member.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:52 pm

DaninNM wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:40 pm
the pintle, I was told, was specific to the Dodge.....I hunted and fond one for sale at the national last year.
I have to make the bracket that you see that bolts to the lower part of the pintle and the underside of the frame member.
Here's a shot of my rear frame cross member where the pintle hitch mounts. Does this look correct. It is bowed outward toward the rear and sits below the regular frame. There is no cross member at the very end of the main frame rails as shown in the second photo. The rear of the frame just ends and sits above the bumpettes. Does all this look like yours?:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:55 pm

In looking at the photos you posted above. It appears the rear frame cross member is straight and not bowed like mine is. That's not good....
Last edited by zepher11 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Finished dismantling the transfer case. I cleaned it up, blasted a little, primed and then shot some OD on it:

Looks like a late war production date of 7-17-1945. I guess it will be okay to use for the 1941 Carryall?:

This has the late war style yokes. I need the mechanics style as was used in 1941:

I have the bearings adjusted pretty good except the drive gear. I need some extra shims. Not the gender bias kind, but the metal kind. Therefore, I dug out an early rusty transfer case thinking I could snag a shim out of there. Well, after like an hour of trying to get it apart there wasn't any shims!! Oh well:

Tow of the yokes were toast. I thought I could use the yokes on the rebuilt transfer case, but two were crushed and the good one will need a speedy sleeve at a minimum:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:37 pm

Also spent a lot of time today to see if I could align the body with the rear doors. As one can see, the gap between the doors and the body on the passenger side is really good:

Driver's side not so much:

Someone had already tried to pull it over using the latch bolt holes it appears. I can tell as the mounting point is bowed and bent. Hard to tell here, but it is. Actually, at the bottom of the latch, one can see how the mounting point is pulled away from the sheet metal:

I also was able to get a look at some of the rust outs after I removed the inner sheet metal:

I thought to pull the body inward, I would make a plate with some captive nuts and insert it on the inside and drill holes to thread some bolt through at different locations. Hopefully, it would not bend the metal outward like was done previously:

Mounting a chain to the inner plate I made after I drilled holes through the opening section where the latch is bolted:

Since I didn't have a frame machine, I used the tractor to pull from. Kind of handy, but all I ended up doing was bending the metal outward like was done previously. I would just pull the whole body over in a tilt. There was a lot of force, but that thing would not move. Overall, I didn't end up moving it over to close the gap at all. A lot of work and preparation, but in the end I basically wasted the whole day. I don't feel like I can move forward until I can get this figure out first. Then I can really get going.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm

extra post
Last edited by zepher11 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeph

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:51 am

the frame member looks he same - has the tabs that bolt to the side rails in he same place - except yours is bent.....I'd replace it if you can. A steel fab shop can likely bend you anew one.....

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”