Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
Dozerman51
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: Zeph's Dodge WC26 Carryall Restoration

Post by Dozerman51 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Hey Zepher,
You need to slow down on the restoration of that carryall. At the rate your going, that rig will be pristine in no time. Then what will you do? :lol:. CJV-35 my brother(The Jeep Guy) and I would sure like to visit your collection of beauties one of these days when we are up your way. My cousin has a spread near you and we go there to visit. Hope in the next few months we can make it happen. Carry on the good work. You and Ozzie are an inspiration to a lot of folks here on the forum.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:53 pm

Dozerman51 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:49 pm
Hey Zepher,
You need to slow down on the restoration of that carryall. At the rate your going, that rig will be pristine in no time. Then what will you do? :lol:. CJV-35 my brother(The Jeep Guy) and I would sure like to visit your collection of beauties one of these days when we are up your way. My cousin has a spread near you and we go there to visit. Hope in the next few months we can make it happen. Carry on the good work. You and Ozzie are an inspiration to a lot of folks here on the forum.
Not a problem. I recall that you have a relative that lives up in the same area. Just let me know when your heading up, and we can make it happen.

Cheers,
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

USAFpj
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by USAFpj » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:31 am

Tell me I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet that you are wondering where you're garage expansion is going to take place... :wink:

Exactly why I built a 30x50x14 shop, with a cleared 10ft pad that joins it. Too much space for me now, but if I follow your path, it will need expansion as well!

Great job(s) on the MV's.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:28 pm

USAFpj wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:31 am
Tell me I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet that you are wondering where you're garage expansion is going to take place... :wink:

Exactly why I built a 30x50x14 shop, with a cleared 10ft pad that joins it. Too much space for me now, but if I follow your path, it will need expansion as well!

Great job(s) on the MV's.
Haha...you have that right. I don't think I have ever heard of someone complain that they built their shop too big before. 8)

I wouldn't mind having another shop out in the back. I can't remember what the county allows. I think we're limited to three buildings, or so much square footage.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Gutted the doors today. Had a hart time removing the lock cylinder. Wasn't sure how it came out exactly as the manual I have only talks about the windows and remote control removal. I noticed a screw through a little hole in the door, but it was offset where I really could get a good bite with a screw driver. Played with it for an hour or so trying to figure out how it should be removed. I tried and tried to get the little screw out without stripping it:

I couldn't get the door latch out unless I removed the cylinder and the shaft. Contemplated cutting the shaft and going that route, Finally added some heat to the mix. Success! I finally got the screw out which actually ended up being a set screw:

All the doors are fully gutted now. I noticed that the passenger door rubbed the body when it shut and had chipped the paint and buckled a little. It looked like the hinges were bent a bit. After a little pressure, It adjusted really nice:

The body line looks pretty good now and is comparable to the driver's door:

I then was anticipating removing the front doors. I have been soaking the screws the best I could in Kroil over the past few weeks. Managed to break one that just would not budge. Had to drill it out and reestablish the threads:

Anyway, removed all of the bolts for the hinges:

However, I can't get the doors removed. What am I missing? I have hammered them, pried on them and no movement. I thought if I removed the bolts that these would slide out. Not happening. Abandoned removing the front doors for now until I can figure how to remove them.

Moved on to removing a few other things:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Popped the doors off today:

Then worked on getting the steering wheel off. I don't have a military steering wheel puller, but rigged up a bearing puller I have to remove it. Took a while, but finally was able to get it off without damaging it:

Also removed the top:

Had some type of leveling goo on it that made it a bit of a project to remove:

Outta there:

Removed the floor as well. Now noodling through how to get the body off the frame:

Zeph

jeepfinger
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jeepfinger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Page 4 already :D Zeph,I can see this being at least a 50 pager :)

How does the roof work? is it a roll back type? any luck with your engine?

Dave
Dave Boocock
GPW 41158 June 19 1942
Bantam T3 9555 1/11/1943 USA 0258448
BSA WDM20 Sept 1940 C4343114

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:24 pm

jeepfinger wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 pm
Page 4 already :D Zeph,I can see this being at least a 50 pager :)

How does the roof work? is it a roll back type? any luck with your engine?

Dave
Hi Dave,

Yes, the pages will start stacking up now. The roof is weird...maybe for not back in the day, but it is a piece of Masonite with canvas over it and then held in there with rubber weatherstripping.

No word on the engine still waiting for word if they can fix the crack in the block and head.

I dinked around today so I could add another page. :) Here's where the body is separating from the cab section. I found out that the rear cab bolts were solidly rusted in there. One can see where the weld is gone and the rear cab bolt is rotted a bit:

Had to use the air hammer to eject these:

I rigged up the tractor to lift the body, but the tractor was not up to it. I then rigged it up a different way after I removed the stock cab bolts and it almost lifted it. Disassembled and looked for another way. Decided to pull the engine. I then noticed that I neglected to disconnect the starter pedal. Reassembled everything to try lifting with the tractor again, and was able to lift the body about 12"'s. Whew! Just enough to roll the frame out from under the body after I removed the engine. Couldn't do it with the engine in the frame:

Engine leaving the frame:

Frame rolled out:

Now I can get a better look at all of the issues with the frame. One can see how bent the rear frame cross member is. Needs a bit of repair:

Here is the butchered steering box mounting area on the frame. Not sure what kind of steering box they were using, but it isn't a Dodge WC half-ton steering box:

At least I have a mirror image on the other side of the frame:

A better look at the gaping hole in the cross member. Really rusted out:

Busted down the grill assembly as well to get ready to work it over in the not too distant future:

I was going to build a rotisserie, but now that I can lift it with the tractor, I may do most of the work on the saw horses. I think I will resurrect the cart I built for the Command Car body to roll it around when I need to do so. We'll see:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Worked on disassembling the frame. The thing is kicking my butt. Using heat and impact gun, but sill can't get most of the bolts off easily:

The rear leaf springs are just about to turn to dust. A quick start would probably snap these in half:

Drained the fuel and removed the tank which seems to be in really nice shape:

Looks like this nut backed on in around 1955 and has been overlooked since then:

I think I have like five of these battery holders. Everyone of them but one has suffered this same type of fate:

After a few busted knuckles, it is slowing getting stripped:

So this is the comparison of the steering box that I removed (on the left) vs. an NOS half-ton one I have. Not sure what the one was that was in there, but it is quite a bit different. It may be an M38 Jeep box as the linkage between it to the axle was Jeep parts:

Well, back to work tomorrow for some rest...
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Completed a search and rescue mission to recover a Dodge WC10 Carryall frame. I found a guy that has a nice Dodge WC26 frame for my Carryall project, but he only wants to trade for a WC10 project as that is the body he has. Well, pulled it off and found a WC10 frame.

Headed out at about 6am yesterday morning, and was rolling it up on the trailer about 8am:

Been meaning to get down to this boneyard for a while now. It is loaded with WWII era Dodge WC parts. I also picked up two nice front fenders for the Carryall project as the ones I have are pretty rusted out:

The dogs tagged along for the ride as well:

Ralph giddy with OD fever:

Brought it home and then finished stripping down the original frame:

In with the new. I think I can use some of the axles, springs and wheels off the WC10 frame. Will complete stripping it tomorrow:

Worked over the WC10 frame today. All done:

Zeph

BATMOBILE1
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by BATMOBILE1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:19 am

Wow thats the sort of yard i could spend hours in...i think i would end up buying too much though,especially the PBR boat..!
94 locating Regt RA,57 Bty B troop 1982-1985.
32 Heavy Regt RA,57 Bty D droop 1985-1990.
M38 1952 ,restoration project
Dodge 1/2 ton WC-24 Chassis WC-6 body..combo.
Dodge 1951 M43 ,SOLD
Harley Davidson WLA.type IV. SOLD

Peterdodge6volt

Post by Peterdodge6volt » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 am

Aarrrhh oh that's the poorest full of dodges in the yard, sitting there rusting away very slowly, I would bought them all and restored them.
On the other note.
You did a really great restoration work there Zeph well done.

PM you.
Peter

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:37 pm

BATMOBILE1 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:19 am
Wow thats the sort of yard i could spend hours in...i think i would end up buying too much though,especially the PBR boat..!
Yeah, a lot of eye candy down there that's for sure...at least for us Dodge Boys.
Peterdodge6volt wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 am
Aarrrhh oh that's the poorest full of dodges in the yard, sitting there rusting away very slowly, I would bought them all and restored them.
On the other note.
You did a really great restoration work there Zeph well done.

PM you.
Peter
Thank you Peter! Really doesn't look too much different than my own yard...sadly, can't restore all of them at the same time... 8)
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Hello Zeph,

What a place !!!!!
It is better than Disney for us all :D :D :D
They look like they are doing ok there, I am glad they were saved from any scrappers :D :D :D

It is nice to know that there are still good places like that around !

Ray

Dozerman51

Post by Dozerman51 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 am

Hi Zeph,
Where is this yard located and is there a phone number for the yard? That closed cab WC with no bed on it, was it a T-207-T-211 cab or a T-215 cab. Looks like it has a winch mounted behind the cab. Thanks for any Info. Yes, it is nice that someone saved these vehicles from the scrappers. Wonder if he has any 265 motors lying around.

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”