zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Dodge WC57 Command Car Project

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:01 pm

Fred Coldwell wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:50 pm
Zeph:

That is a lovely WC-57 Command Car you have purchased for restoration. You are blessed that the rear top deck above the tailgate has not been cut out and discarded for farming, as on many surplussed 3/4 ton CC's I have seen. The body sheetmetal is wonderfully straight, and -- as you state -- this CC has retained many of its small unusual military parts like the map case body and map board brackets still attached to the back side of the front seat, and the original tailgate latch handles. Up front, I love the wire-in radiator guard and matching headlight guards. IMO, they look much more refined than the optional wire-on guards that have plain straight rods crudely welded to their front surface.

Finally, the salvage company was very respectful of the CC when they welded the front boom cable support eyes to the rear bumperettes. That is the most thoughtful and unobtrusive method for supporting a front boom I have ever seen on a WW II Dodge. Thank you for showing and sharing exactly how they did that by welding and sacrificing only the two rear bumperettes, very common parts today that can be found in excellent condition. Patching the two small holes in the CC's rear floor should be rather easy for a skilled craftsman like you.

Congratulations on your very fine acquisition!
Hi Fred,

Yes, they were very kind to this command car over the years. It's pretty amazing really to have what appears to be a long commercial career and survive virtually intact.
twinflyer17 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:44 am
Zeph, both the CC and the Carryall look like great projects. I'm excited to follow your progress on each!
Thanks. I guess I better start a Carryall thread!
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:27 am

Took advantage of the 98 degree temperature to pull the engine from the WC57 yesterday. 8) It put up a bit of a fight, but managed to get it out. This T214 and the T223 for my WC63 are going in for rebuild. Just need to figure out a way to drag the WC63 to the shop, or I would need to do it in the back field where she's taken up residence.

I was placed on the engine builder's list a few years ago. He's ready, so better get them in there now, or it could be another five years:

Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:54 am

zepher11 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:27 am
Took advantage of the 98 degree temperature to pull the engine from the WC57 yesterday. 8) It put up a bit of a fight, but managed to get it out. This T214 and the T223 for my WC63 are going in for rebuild. Just need to figure out a way to drag the WC63 to the shop, or I would need to do it in the back field where she's taken up residence.

I was placed on the engine builder's list a few years ago. He's ready, so better get them in there now, or it could be another five years:

Hello Zeph,

This is great that you are pulling the engine for a rebuild !!
Another project on the production line 😁 !
That is quite a wait for an engine rebuild, but getting multiple engines in the rebuild slot will be great !!
Are you using the same rebuilder that did your earlier engines ?

They must do good work to be so well booked !

I recently got a WC-57 to go with my WC-56, along with a couple spare engines.

Keep is posted !

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:40 am

70th Division wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:54 am

Hello Zeph,

This is great that you are pulling the engine for a rebuild !!
Another project on the production line 😁 !
That is quite a wait for an engine rebuild, but getting multiple engines in the rebuild slot will be great !!
Are you using the same rebuilder that did your earlier engines ?

They must do good work to be so well booked !

I recently got a WC-57 to go with my WC-56, along with a couple spare engines.

Keep is posted !

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

Yes, same engine builder. He works at a place the restores Aston Martins and Jaguars as well as other amazing exotic rigs. The engines he does are works of art. It's good to have him build my engines.

This does give me an opportunity to get the T214 done. I have two T215's done by him already. One for my WC22, and now the other is extra. May have to sell it or just let it sit. The extra T215 was going to go in the WC57, but now that I found a T214 block last year, I can get the correct engine in the WC22, WC57, and the WC63.

Nice that you have a matched set of Command Cars! That's really neat. Good to find rebuildable engines as well nowadays!
Zeph

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”