Cleaning a WC51 fuel tank with "CLR" brand stain remover?

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
thunder37
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Cleaning a WC51 fuel tank with "CLR" brand stain remover?

Post by thunder37 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Guys,

Corrected: After reading the Material; Safety and Use Sheet I think this product will damage your Gas Tanks and all metals except Stainless and Chrome, as one MV guys has said also.
http://clrbrands.com/sds/SDS-CLR-CALCIU ... EMOVER.pdf

I got several great ideas from guys on the forum concerning best way to clean the inside of my WC51 fuel tank.

Its actually in pretty nice shape, surface rust on inside but doesn't look too flaky or pitted from what I can actually see.

I had this ideas: I have used CLR (Calcium, Lime and Rust) brand remover on many things around the house and it works great. (Correction) The product has lactic acid and I don't know if it will hurt anything, but it attacks rust, mineral and calcium deposits, etc. with a vengeance.

Just thought I would ask. I am pulling the tank tomorrow and gonna try several things that were suggested to me in my other thread about fuel tank issues.

Thanks!

Brent
Attachments
CLR brand cleaner.JPG
CLR brand cleaner.JPG (21.04 KiB) Viewed 606 times

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: Cleaning a WC51 fuel tank with "CLR" brand stain remover?

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:38 am

I have used CLR on gas tanks; one cleaning an M37 tank. It is very weak acid, about like lemon juice in PH. I suppose that if you left concentrated lemon juice in your gas tank for a few years it might harm it but for cleaning, it won't. On a GPW tank I gave up on CLR as it was way too weak and used muriatic acid; now, that will remove rust in a hurry.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

thunder37
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Re: Cleaning a WC51 fuel tank with "CLR" brand stain remover?

Post by thunder37 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Guys,

I found the best solution for the repair and cleaning of the fuel tank issue.

I remembered an old radiator repair shop where I used to take all my Willys and Ford GPW radiators over the years. This is an old school shop and the guys are all old timers like me.

They will acid clean, braze a few bad spots, pressure test and line the tank for $125 !!!!! If there are large holes they will cut them out and weld a patch plate in for more money based on the damage.

The guy who owns it says he caters to the vintage vehicle restorers and they are always satisfiewd with his work.

I know they did a super job for me on my radiators in really bad shape.

That's the solution for me, anyway.

Below is the contact info, if you want to try them. Or look for an old time radiator repair shop near you. This guy says most of them also do fuel tanks since there are many similarities to radiator repair.

The shop is :

Cookeville Radiator Shop
435 W. Broad Street
Cookeville, TN 38501
931-526-2013

Brent

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”