zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Rondo's Command Car restoration

Post by zepher11 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:01 am

rondo wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:59 pm
Phil,
thanks for the input. the splice is almost done but its worth taking a look. the undercoat is reference to the WC6 not the trailer. my fault for writing that up the way it was. Zeph has been a great source (as usual) lol
I will definitely be undercoating the WC body, its just a matter of choosing something that is correct
A lot of my undercoating was still intact when I started my WC16 project. It really looked like a sort of tar that was sprayed on. Very chunky and not smooth. I couldn't figure out how to reproduce it, so I ended up using a bedliner material. Since none of the other Dodge WC half-tons have this type of undercoating, I was under the impression that it was for sound deadening due to the large expanse of the flat sheet metal floor. It appeared to work really well in holding in moisture to accelerate the rusting process.... :)

So far, I haven't noticed a great deal of road noise when driving at around 50 mph. Of course, the doors are off,so there is a lot of general noise. One of these days I will figure out the doors and get those on for a enclosed test.

Here's a photo that I shot when I started my WC16 project. One can just see the undercoating texture on the floor:

If one right clicks the photo and selects "open in new tab" the photo should be larger for viewing.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:27 am

thanks for the input Zeph

a friend of mine, who is a professional body man and who Is also restoring a WC said to use speedliner which is a bedliner product. he he also suggested adding olive drab color to is and spraying the inside of the floor as well as the bottom. he said a thin coat would take care of the pitting on this floor which looks kinda rough. Already have the rubber matt that will go in as well.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

Kurtshalftrack
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Kurtshalftrack » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Rondo,
Very nice. Impressive amount of patience. Looks great! Let me know if you need me to scout parts on the east coast ....lot of rust out here though.
Kurt
1943 M3 Halftrack
1952 M37
1984 M998
M100
America is still the greatest country on earth...don't give up the fight!

San Diego, CA

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:21 am

thank you for the kind words Kurt :)

on the CC, got it home from the body man. He went way beyond the call of duty and fixed a lot more underneath that was bad. had hat channels made at the local metal shop.
picked up what I think is a Command Car with winch. the frame matches my CC exactly. it has the early T207 engine and a weird carb with a governor on it (I think that's what it is).
tried the MG mount from my WW2 jeep on the passenger side and the size might be right. Patton would scoff as he had a big 50 cal on his 3/4 ton :lol:
bad thing is the army is sending me to S Carolina. The fam will say in Idaho. Wife won't work on this while i'm gone so this may be the end of the updates for a while (crying)
Attachments
cc home3.jpg
cc home3.jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 545 times
CC home1.jpg
CC home1.jpg (28.93 KiB) Viewed 545 times
cc home.jpg
cc home.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 545 times
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Sold the WC4 or was it a WC3? wait it was a WC12 LOL anyway it was the parts rig with the open cab. The last of it was taken away by a fellow who restores them and sends them to Belgium.
Then I ran into a fellow who sold me everything but the nose and cab; he said it was a WC12 :lol: he said it had a data plate. anyway it was a military cab sitting on what I think is a CC with winch and it has a Ford Bed on it. yeah he used the cab for a rock crawler project.
Cool thing about this parts drivetrain is It has the horn and horn bracket that I need, an alternator bracket, and vintage locking hubs. He said he got it running and drove it around his field. If the radiator checks out i'll be using that because its got the honeycomb look. I've had several and none were good.
Then my pal comes over to scavenge parts off it for his dodge like a ravenous vulture :lol: bad thing is he's trying to convince me to start over and restore mine with this frame so mine will be a winch model. Yeah its sexy to have a winch but do I really want to start over? I mean my frame is painted, done, axles and brakes done.

what would you all do? lol
Attachments
00505_7AwQ0y4OKgh_600x450.jpg
00505_7AwQ0y4OKgh_600x450.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 544 times
wc7.jpg
wc7.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 544 times
42 GPW; 41WC6

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”