MP Markings on WWII Dodges

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
Walter
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

MP Markings on WWII Dodges

Post by Walter » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:36 pm

Greetings everyone:

I am in the process of finishing a complete ground up restoration on a 1944 WC-56. I would like to mark it for a WWII vet who was in an MP company assigned to the 10th Armored (Ghost) Division. I have read a couple of books on this Division and know that for the most part, as a part of their mission, their vehicles were unmarked.

However, my question for the board is where did they place, in general, the plain language -- MILITARY POLICE -- marking? I have seen them displayed on the sheet metal immediately below the inner windshield on jeeps. Given that the area immediately under the inner windshield of the Dodge open cabs is considerably smaller than the jeep, where was it placed on the 3/4 ton dodges? Did it go on the front bumper? Or the front of the top radiator housing, just above the grill? Or was it just supper small lettering and placed under the windshield? Any period photos would be really helpful.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Walter

WP1
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: MP Markings on WWII Dodges

Post by WP1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:06 am

MP markings were based on unit SOP (standard operating procedure) so each unit marked them in different ways. The best thing to do is search the net for vintage pictures of the unit you want to depict and see if you can fin an example of how they did it.

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”