Sold WC-12 W-231808

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Restoring WC12 W-231808

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:23 am

It does, but i left out the 1357 hours of my labor at $1.25/ hr😆
Wow, an awfully cheap rate! Too bad you're not closer to me, I might otherwise pressure you for help at times :lol: :wink:

Overall doesn't seem too unreasonable with your current cost. Obviously, as you mentioned, the other items will run you quite a bit more, but still doesn't seem to bad for something with this level of quality. I'd love for my next project to be one of these, it's just impossible at time to find them on the east coast!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 am

Trying to get ahead of some of the body work, I stripped the doors and cab. All of the door latch and window mechanisms are in order except one of the door lock sliders is missing. I have one good door window and one cracked. The bottom edges will need some sheet metal work

The windshield frame came out easily. I have a small crack in the lower driver side corner. I'm not sure if I want to replace that or not. I am open to suggestions. See the arrow in the image.

The cab has quite a bit of sheet metal work to do in the floor and the rear back edge. I am going to get an estimate on all of this work some time next week. I'm just not ready to tackle sheet metal welding yet, but the price may drive me there :shock:
doors.jpg
doors.jpg (122.88 KiB) Viewed 910 times
window crack.jpg
window crack.jpg (97.09 KiB) Viewed 910 times
cab.jpg
cab.jpg (104.85 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:28 am

twinflyer17 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:23 am
Wow, an awfully cheap rate! Too bad you're not closer to me, I might otherwise pressure you for help at times :lol: :wink:

Overall doesn't seem too unreasonable with your current cost. Obviously, as you mentioned, the other items will run you quite a bit more, but still doesn't seem to bad for something with this level of quality. I'd love for my next project to be one of these, it's just impossible at time to find them on the east coast!
It seems like most of the restor-able bodies are out west where it is dry. There are a few in CA that I see from time to time, and occasionally CO. It;s a long schlep to the other coast.

I could just drive this thing out to WDC when I'm done and you could take ownership for the right price :P
Oz

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:43 am

twinflyer17 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:23 am

Seems pretty decent cost wise. I have restored a couple of things, and I say that it would cost me about $15,000 give or take a few thousand to restore a Dodge WC. That is if all of the parts were there initially, and I completed all of the work with the exception of having the engine rebuilt and wiring harness completed by others. If things are missing like seat frames or the sort add for those. If it is a vehicle that requires a canvas top and doors like a command car, add $2,000 to $2,500 minimum. And don't forget to add shipping costs to everything one may need to order. It isn't cheap either. If one can get done under $15,000 not counting the vehicle cost for a full restoration like Oz is doing...well done!

Of course, there are always items missing in the rigs I start with. My motto is buy 'em as cheap as I can as they all cost relatively the same to restore running or not. However, there would be varying degrees of time to replace the usual rusted sections which is typically at the $1.25 per hour labor rate. Another good way to determine what a restoration may cost is to estimate the cost and then double it. One should most likely be in the ballpark then.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Dozerman51
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Dozerman51 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Hello 17thAirborne,
As far as purchasing an NOS steering gear, be advised that both of those cork gaskets used in it are most likely dried out and worthless as far as sealing oil leaks . What I did to stop oil leakage in mine is the following:1) using the circular end of the 916083 wheel bearing nut tool, I made a new cork housing bracket gasket. On installing the steering gear housing assembly to the housing bracket assembly, I applied #2 Permatex betweeen them. Instead of using the OEM cork gasket and metal seal retainer for the steering shaft, I used a National metric oil seal with the dimensions, 32x42x7. The steering gear has been in the WC-12 for over a year now, and not one drop of 90WT has left the unit. After almost 30 years of watching it leak oil, I believe I finally have got it licked so to speak. Just giving you a heads up as to what has worked for me if you do not want oil leakage out of the Gemmer Steering Gear. Your doing a great job on the restoration. Keep the faith and when done you will have a truck you can be really proud of. As I tell people when they are asking me questions about my truck, I tell them that the “Wife goes before the truck goes”. LOL. :D

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:32 am

I could just drive this thing out to WDC when I'm done and you could take ownership for the right price :P
I've been following your thread for months now and will continue to until your finished. We might have to talk once you're done, as front door delivery would be nice and convenient! :lol: When I bought my GPW I just so happened to find a guy in Richmond, VA who had family in Lancaster, PA, where I lived at the time and still house the GPW, and ended up getting the jeep delivered to my front door when he was north for a visit. Needless to say, that kind of convenience makes buying an MV that much better!
Sean

MVPA
AOPA

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:35 am

Another good way to determine what a restoration may cost is to estimate the cost and then double it. One should most likely be in the ballpark then.
You hit the nail on the head there, Zeph! :lol: All other good points as well, though!
Sean

MVPA
AOPA

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:46 am

twinflyer17 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:35 am
Another good way to determine what a restoration may cost is to estimate the cost and then double it. One should most likely be in the ballpark then.
You hit the nail on the head there, Zeph! :lol: All other good points as well, though!
Yeah, I'm always an optimist when estimating. If I estimate a time for a project, it always ends up taking twice as long and costs twice as much. :shock:
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:57 am

Dozerman51 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 pm
Hello 17thAirborne,
As far as purchasing an NOS steering gear, be advised that both of those cork gaskets used in it are most likely dried out and worthless as far as sealing oil leaks . What I did to stop oil leakage in mine is the following:1) using the circular end of the 916083 wheel bearing nut tool, I made a new cork housing bracket gasket. On installing the steering gear housing assembly to the housing bracket assembly, I applied #2 Permatex betweeen them. Instead of using the OEM cork gasket and metal seal retainer for the steering shaft, I used a National metric oil seal with the dimensions, 32x42x7. The steering gear has been in the WC-12 for over a year now, and not one drop of 90WT has left the unit. After almost 30 years of watching it leak oil, I believe I finally have got it licked so to speak. Just giving you a heads up as to what has worked for me if you do not want oil leakage out of the Gemmer Steering Gear. Your doing a great job on the restoration. Keep the faith and when done you will have a truck you can be really proud of. As I tell people when they are asking me questions about my truck, I tell them that the “Wife goes before the truck goes”. LOL. :D
That sound like super advice. I'll follow your guidance rather than just bolting it on. Will look for that seal.
Oz

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:57 am

zepher11 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:43 am

Seems pretty decent cost wise. I have restored a couple of things, and I say that it would cost me about $15,000 give or take a few thousand to restore a Dodge WC. That is if all of the parts were there initially, and I completed all of the work with the exception of having the engine rebuilt and wiring harness completed by others. If things are missing like seat frames or the sort add for those. If it is a vehicle that requires a canvas top and doors like a command car, add $2,000 to $2,500 minimum. And don't forget to add shipping costs to everything one may need to order. It isn't cheap either. If one can get done under $15,000 not counting the vehicle cost for a full restoration like Oz is doing...well done!

Of course, there are always items missing in the rigs I start with. My motto is buy 'em as cheap as I can as they all cost relatively the same to restore running or not. However, there would be varying degrees of time to replace the usual rusted sections which is typically at the $1.25 per hour labor rate. Another good way to determine what a restoration may cost is to estimate the cost and then double it. One should most likely be in the ballpark then.
As i read many of your posts on the g i am bolstered by how readily you tackle sheet metal and welding jobs. I should just bite the bullet and start, but since i plan on selling this when done so i can tackle my VEP GPW i will send out the body and doors. I would rather have it done right than to learn on this one. I am hoping to have it ready by May and reliably in the hands of its next owner.

I looked for a local jeep for 6 months and then found this. shortly there after jeep projects started pouring in and i have sifted through 4 to settle on GPW 5765. Thanks for all your help and encouragement. :)
Oz

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 am

I took the cab and the doors down to the body shop today. They are going to fix all of the rust issued in the cab and the bottom of the doors. I think having those items out for work will allow me to focus on tranny, engine and the smalls on the frame. Can't wait for my big order to arrive so I can finish brakes, fuel and steering. Cost post updated page 1
Oz

Ernie Baals
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ernie Baals » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:05 am

You guys are brave, I don't think i want to know what i have in half my trucks lol
Years ago. late 1970s. dad started a running tally on his carryall. i think he stopped at 7000. lol
Ernie
Rip Dad 1/22/24 to 12/21/11
I will always love and miss you.
Ernie Baals MVPA 104C and 3104, AACA, SJC MVPA

Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government
that requires every citizen to prove
they are insured……but not everyone
must prove they are a citizen”

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:20 am

Ernie Baals wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:05 am
You guys are brave, I don't think i want to know what i have in half my trucks lol
Years ago. late 1970s. dad started a running tally on his carryall. i think he stopped at 7000. lol
Ernie
You are probably right. I think I was much happier thinking I actually was going to get this done for 8500, and with my memory I would have thought for sure I was in under budget. :lol: The one good part of discussing this, and posting costs like daveyboy did is that when tire kickers think you should settle for $15,000 for a restored ww2 Dodge it would be like asking GM to sell their vehicles for parts cost only and let the workers just be happy with pride in workmanship without pay.

I realize there is an upper limit to the "value" of these things, but my original thinking of $15,000-ish was fair has been modified heavily by maintaining the spreadsheet. I can understand why the guy who is selling the $18,000 WC that was restored some years ago is asking that price, and I am beginning to believe he is a bit under priced.

I have been seeing an increasing price trend in the 42WLAs as well. There are a hand full for sale and the median seems to be well over $20,000. I was happy to get mine in near restored condition in 2010 for $15,000.
Oz

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:11 am

Dozerman51 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 pm
Instead of using the OEM cork gasket and metal seal retainer for the steering shaft, I used a National metric oil seal with the dimensions, 32x42x7.
Joe,
I ordered one of those seals. I'll post some images following your advice when I install the gear box.
Oz

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 am

Ernie
You are probably right. I think I was much happier thinking I actually was going to get this done for 8500, and with my memory I would have thought for sure I was in under budget. :lol: The one good part of discussing this, and posting costs like daveyboy did is that when tire kickers think you should settle for $15,000 for a restored ww2 Dodge it would be like asking GM to sell their vehicles for parts cost only and let the workers just be happy with pride in workmanship without pay.

I realize there is an upper limit to the "value" of these things, but my original thinking of $15,000-ish was fair has been modified heavily by maintaining the spreadsheet. I can understand why the guy who is selling the $18,000 WC that was restored some years ago is asking that price, and I am beginning to believe he is a bit under priced.
Now u understand oz!! It's a costly endeavor to
Restore one of these, well any truck.

I'm glad I kept accurate records of my costs on the wc12, otherwise as time fades the memory, I would have sworn I never spent that much!

But I did.. and I still put money into it , albeit not like when I was in the restoration stage.

I still upgrade and or replace or rework here and there, so the "restoration" really isn't done yet. It continues. And maintence is always a factor as well. Like oil changes. Recently took wheels and tires to be balanced. (Oh the highway ride is sooo much better) stuff like that always pops up.

I am also always on the lookout for good new or NOS parts for it to hoard away. Like the brand new Carter carb I recently found. Wow. What a nice unit. I'll keep it for the future should I need it.
Then there are the small things like pioneer tool straps, which I bought. NOS leather straps from early ww2 for it.
Then I wasn't happy with the gauges I had so I spend the $$ for new reproduction units. Really added to the dash look.

What I'm saying is whatever I "thought" was my so called final cost during the restoration, really wasn't! I'm still putting money into it.

Still it's a great truck. I don't mind spending the money but it is still money spent and I should be recording it!!

Now like you wrote, it's when it's time to sell where do u price it? I mean my costs are just material and parts. I haven't included one penny of my time. What's that worth? Something I would like to think should I ever sell it.

But then if you even threw a few dollars per hour rate in the final cost, you would put the truck out of a reasonable price range where other comparative trucks are selling at

On your truck: I can't believe your gonna sell it once it's done! You gotta keep it just a little bit and enjoy!

Though the thought of selling mine crosses my mind at times, especially since the power wagon bug hit the collector world and these trucks lumped into the power wagon category are fetching all time dollars!!

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”