WC62, 63 OWNERS POWER QUESTIONS

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
Tankdriver
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: WC62, 63 OWNERS POWER QUESTIONS

Post by Tankdriver » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:17 pm

Marty, SoCal wrote:If we can find a Zenith, we may try it, since I believe the 1942 3/4T should have one of those, anyways. His truck went through at least one European rebuild.
I like the Zenith better. I learned on it while I was restoring my 1st vehicle, a M20. :D
1943 WC63...1942 M3 Autocar...1944 M3A1 Diamond T...1942 57mm Anti-Tank

Have owned...M5A1 Stuart

Have Restored...M20

MVPA Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors... https://wtmvc.shutterfly.com/

motto
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by motto » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:00 pm

I don't believe that the distributor centrifugal advance has been mentioned. If frozen this would result in a similar problem to what is described. The engine would run out of puff at higher speeds but pull ok low down.

David

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:32 am

The Zeniths also have the vacuum pump, which I hate; the reason your BBD worked so well is that it uses a mechanical accelerator pump. But the Army wanted a sealed carburetor; hence the vacuum system. They have to be perfect to work.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Peterdodge6volt
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Peterdodge6volt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi
I heard many people and friends in Australia hate Zenith carby, as they don't run properly, the ejected pin gets worn out quickly, and flooded and jammed.

I was told that Carter carby are the best one than Zenith carby.

As I did had that problem a few months ago with two of my wc51 dodges with Zenith carby and runs like garbage.
So i call my experts dodge mechanics and told me that carter are the best one than Zenith carby, so I change both to carter carby and when for a long trip and both runs so sweet and goes on 65 MPH. I am running on overdrive Diff and Transfer case.

Peter

Tankdriver
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Tankdriver » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:54 am

Ah... You friends are like the ones around when I was a kid....

They'd put a 750 CFM Holly on a 350 Chevy, because they were "better" than a 1.300 CFM. Quadra Jet Simply because they did not know how to correctly rebuild the Quadra Jet. Once my old Dad taught how to rebuild a Quadra Jet, I, never had a problem with it, and it was twice the CFM as the Holley and you could get them for next to nothing, because they were "no good".......

I go back to my original statement.....

How many THOUSANDS were built with the Zenith Carbs, and run correctly? Were all of them sitting somewhere shut down?

Just like 6vt systems don't work, you have to convert them to 12vt........ How many thousands of cars, trucks, tractors, boats, planes...etc ran great on 6vt?
1943 WC63...1942 M3 Autocar...1944 M3A1 Diamond T...1942 57mm Anti-Tank

Have owned...M5A1 Stuart

Have Restored...M20

MVPA Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors... https://wtmvc.shutterfly.com/

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:36 am

My Zenith equipped 3/4T has runn perfectly for 28 years now with the exception of an accelerator pump locking up when I went away for a year to Stan and the alcohol fuel dried up in it. I can turn 62mph, maybe 64 with 4:30 ratios, not a lot of power but at that speed the tires want to death wobble from balance and I slow down. Engine revs never an issue with the Zeinth, it works fine.

Freind bought a WC52, new Carter on her, wouldn't run fast just like yours. Bought an adjustment tool from VPW (Vintage Power Wagons) adjusted it and it runs in the low 50's with the 4:89 ratios.

You haven't mentioned using the tool to adjust the govenor, if it could be done with a screw driver it would have been pointless to put it on the vehicle after issuing the driver a tool set....
The distributor weights are a good catch, they could possibly be the problem as well like he mentioned above.

Neat Side note: The WWI 1918 Standard B Liberty I have, had two random nuts put inside the govenor housing to push the govenor spring further in, leaving the "US" embossed wired inspection screw to "look" like it was sealed by the motorpool. (Can't keep a Doughboy down long.. :D .) I assume that wasn't enough, as someone later busted out the bronze butterfly valve of the govenor to get more speed which ultimately destroyed the engine :roll: (before I found her...)
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Just bite the bullet and have VPW rebuild it for you, correctly. It will work then.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Peterdodge6volt

Post by Peterdodge6volt » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:55 pm

I have a NOS carter carby on my wc51 dodge project and first time fired up with a fresh rebuild engine last week runs so sweet and so quiet. :D. All I can hear is clock sound. In the engine.

Cheers Peter

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”