Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Post by zepher11 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:35 pm

I decided to paint the stars on the side of the command car. Been a day now and I still like 'em:

Installed the data plates this past weekend as well:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:37 pm

timsresort wrote:
Also had him make up some of the 10.5 volt NOTE plates that were used on the 1/2 ton radio command cars. All I could find for sale were the 11.25 volt NOTE plates used on the 3/4 ton command cars. Thanks to Russ R - gidad here on the G - for the nice photo of an original 10.5 volt NOTE plate to copy for the reproduction. I picked up five extras just in case I will need a replacement. No, just kidding. Had him make one for all of the 1/2 ton radio command car owners I know. I'm hoping they are a least worth a six pack each! :o

Thanks, John. But after the last meet, I'm not sure if by six pack you mean beer or scotch.
lol...that's true. That was the first Scotch six pack I have ever seen. Hopefully, it won't be the last.
Zeph

gidad
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by gidad » Mon May 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Saw my name dropped so I figured I ought to chime in. Those plates turned out so nice. Now that you're close to finished, I remember clearly when your CC was first posted for sale. It was pretty rough and missing a lot of key pieces. Man, look at it now. You and Pete have set the bar very high. Not to mention your Jeep. When you finally retire you can go into the restoration business. Russ

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by timsresort » Tue May 23, 2017 7:55 pm

It did turn out nice. That photo of the dash is sweet. Something we can all aspire to.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:12 am

gidad wrote:Saw my name dropped so I figured I ought to chime in. Those plates turned out so nice. Now that you're close to finished, I remember clearly when your CC was first posted for sale. It was pretty rough and missing a lot of key pieces. Man, look at it now. You and Pete have set the bar very high. Not to mention your Jeep. When you finally retire you can go into the restoration business. Russ
Pete was my inspiration. I have thought about restoring vehicles for others, but I don't think I can totally get into it. I'm more into my own stuff.
timsresort wrote:It did turn out nice. That photo of the dash is sweet. Something we can all aspire to.
Thanks Tim!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Painted on the hood star as I believe I found the no start issue now with the CC:

Also needed to make sure I remember what voltage this thing is. I have a couple other rigs that are six volt so good to be reminded:

A shot I took as I let this thing idle for a few hours and was happy that it still starts after tuning it off. Been a month and a half dealing with that issue. Set me back a bit:

Now I can get on to other things now that the no start issue is solved like the radio box blasting:

And now I can get on to more pressing issues, like deciding if I'm going with the yellow or the white lighting:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Sanded down the CH60 replica cabinet and doors yesterday and then shot some OD:

Bolted in the shock mounts. I didn't have the pins that the dynamotor needed to mount in the cabinet. It has little slides that allow it to be latch into place and be removed. I made my own:

I then hulked it into the back and bolted the cabinet down to the floor:

Tough to take a decent photo with the top up:

Zeph

Tapper02
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Tapper02 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Looks awesome Zeph. Do you have the BC-191 already?
zepher11 wrote: Not too happy with the fit of the upper shock mounts for the receiver. Very tight in there. I built the cabinet to dimensions given, but it would have been nice if the tray would have been about an inch lower than it is here:

When you replaced the tube frame with angle, did you lower the shelf? If not, how is the clearance for the BD-77 dynamotor? If you dropped the shelf 1" to accommodate the BC-312 shock mounts, would there still be room to put the dynamotor in and take it out?

-Tom
1944 Autocar M3A1 Halftrack
1944 Schelm Bros. M10 Ammunition Trailer

MVPA # 30507

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Tapper02 wrote:Looks awesome Zeph. Do you have the BC-191 already?

When you replaced the tube frame with angle, did you lower the shelf? If not, how is the clearance for the BD-77 dynamotor? If you dropped the shelf 1" to accommodate the BC-312 shock mounts, would there still be room to put the dynamotor in and take it out?

-Tom
Hi Tom,

Yes, I have a BC-191. I just ran out of time to install it into the cabinet. Of course, I have to hulk it in there as well. These old radio components are amazingly heavy!

I wish I would have lowered the shelf in the cabinet a bit, but it is located as the plans that we have show. I didn't have a BC-312 when I modified the cabinet from the tubing to the angle iron. If so, I could have measured it out better. Overall, there is plenty of room to remove and install the BD-77 dynamotor even if the shelf would have been moved down 1" maybe 2". The doors are split at the level of the shelf for the receiver. From what I can determine from period photos is that my cabinet itself is not as tall as it should be. One can see the period cabinets sticking up above the rear of the front seat where my cabinet is below the rear of the front seat. I think it if was taller and the shelf was centered then the doors would be perfectly split with equal sized panels and the BC-312 and BD-77 would have the same amount of room.

Oh well, I got what I paid for with the plans which was nothing. If I made another cabinet, I would change a number of things that I think would be more period accurate... Live an learn!
Zeph

brian in denver
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by brian in denver » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:37 am

your missing a mounting plate on the dyno. there is a plate with the pins that bolts in. kinda like this one
http://www.radionerds.com/index.php/BD-77

http://www.radionerds.com/index.php/FM-43

BB
keeping it strac here boss
I hate aquaphobic horses ;)

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:35 pm

brian in denver wrote:your missing a mounting plate on the dyno. there is a plate with the pins that bolts in. kinda like this one

http://www.radionerds.com/index.php/FM-43

BB
Yeah, I went to the radio store, and they were all out! Just kidding. I didn't realize that there was another plate. Probably hard to locate one I'm sure. If I could find the pins, I'd make one. know of any sources? I might even be able to make the pins if I was so inclined.

Thanks,
Zeph

Tankdriver
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Tankdriver » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:29 am

Looks good.

I have always liked the 1/2 ton Command Car. I like the sloped hood on it.
1943 WC63...1942 M3 Autocar...1944 M3A1 Diamond T...1942 57mm Anti-Tank

Have owned...M5A1 Stuart

Have Restored...M20

MVPA Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors... https://wtmvc.shutterfly.com/

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:04 am

Tankdriver wrote:Looks good.

I have always liked the 1/2 ton Command Car. I like the sloped hood on it.
Thank you!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:34 am

I taped up and painted the lightning bolts on the command car. Then I finished up the radio installions:

Some shots of the radio components installed:

Also made up some little storage loops for the front compartment safety straps. They were always getting in the way, so this allows them to be stowed out of the way:

I think I can basically call this command car project completed with the exception of a few little tweaks here and there. I did drive it about 15 miles yesterday. Only about 98 degrees out, but reached the hottest yet on the heat gauge at 160 degrees. Turned it off and restarted it a number of times with no issues. Supposed to be 111 plus degrees today, so I'll complete another test drive. If all is well and it starts, I think I can say the upside down coil was the demon that I have dealt with for the past month and a half!
Zeph

brian in denver
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by brian in denver » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:58 am

nice, found a drawing of BD-77 and posted it to radio nerds. so you can download it

BB
keeping it strac here boss
I hate aquaphobic horses ;)

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”