Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Post by zepher11 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:25 am

Made a template and cut the pyramidal front compartment floor mat for the CC today. The pyramidal mat is different than the ribbed mat used in the rest of the command car:

Had some help from Ralphie. He has a habit of taking a one hour project and turning it into a four hour affair. Oh well, it's nice to have company...now where did my masking tape go?:

Template worked well:

The pyramidal mat is at least twice as thick as the ribbed mat. Pretty solid and heavy:

Now need to get back to the radio cabinet project...
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 pm

I made it to a little show and shine car show up at Shasta Dam last week. Big car show in town with usually right around 2,000 cars. There were only about 25-30 at this show:

I did beat out the hot rods and won a major award:

Then they allowed us to cross the dam on a little cruise:

Sacramento River way below on the south side.

Heading home. The three Shastas. Shasta Dam, Lake Shasta and Mount Shasta in the background about 80 miles to the north. 14,180 foot elevation there abouts. One can just make out the crane we passed under while crossing the dam in the photo above just a bit earlier:

Here's a little video of crossing the dam. The lake level is less than 10 feet from the top which is a good thing this time of year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WR9rISJfyc
Zeph

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:04 am

Command Car looks great, Zeph! Just hope that wasn't one of those leaky dams you guys have in CA, though... :shock:
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:06 am

twinflyer17 wrote:Command Car looks great, Zeph! Just hope that wasn't one of those leaky dams you guys have in CA, though... :shock:
Thank you! lol...this is a Federal Project built in the 1930's and is rock solid. The leaky Oroville Dam is about an hour south of us and is a Stare project. Evidently, they run it like they run the state. :shock:
Zeph

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:31 am

zepher11 wrote:The leaky Oroville Dam is about an hour south of us and is a Stare project. Evidently, they run it like they run the state. :shock:
Ahh, that makes much more sense. However, the way the federal government is run today I can't say I would trust new projects as much as the old ones. Things just aren't made the same or managed the same anymore! :cry:
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:47 pm

twinflyer17 wrote:
zepher11 wrote:The leaky Oroville Dam is about an hour south of us and is a Stare project. Evidently, they run it like they run the state. :shock:
Ahh, that makes much more sense. However, the way the federal government is run today I can't say I would trust new projects as much as the old ones. Things just aren't made the same or managed the same anymore! :cry:
That's for sure. That's for darn sure!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:20 pm

It took me a while to find 12 inch long springs to use for the front brake lines, but I finally found some. Installed them this evening. They don't quite look right as the brake lines are a lot shorter than the originals that required the use of the lower and upper springs. At least it is something else to check off from the "to do" list:

I also started to dink around with the transmitter and receiver upper shock mounts. The BC-312 that I scored down at Petaluma already has the holes for the shock mount brackets on top of the case. I need to remove the receiver guts from the case in order to attache the "L" brackets that I am making:

Making the "L" brackets:

I need to secure the shock mounts to the rear of the CH60 cabinet as well as mount each of the radio component shock mount bases to the cabinet. Hopefully, I will have some time tomorrow to do so.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:49 pm

Spent the few hours I had today fitting the shock mounts to the cabinet as well as riveting the hasp latches to the doors. I also installed the eye bolts for the hasp latches. Actually worked pretty good as I was a bit worried that the latches would be loose and the doors would rattle whilst in transit. Not the case. Once the hasp latch is folded over the eye bolt, and the eye bolt is twisted to lock the hasp latch in place, everything fits well and is tight and solid with no looseness or rattle potential:

Need a little longer rod for the padlocking of the cabinet:

Not too happy with the fit of the upper shock mounts for the receiver. Very tight in there. I built the cabinet to dimensions given, but it would have been nice if the tray would have been about an inch lower than it is here:

Drilled the holes to mount the transmitter and receiver shock mounts. Now I need to drill the holes for the dynamotor, mount the transmitter upper shock mount, and then blast and paint the entire cabinet. Before all that, however, I need to hulk the cabinet into the back of the command car and drill the mounting holes in the feet of the cabinet. May have to remove the front seat to get in there to mark and drill. Amazing how much time this project is consuming...
Zeph

brian in denver
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by brian in denver » Sun May 14, 2017 2:06 pm

seen quite a few receivers drilled in the corner like that, but not sure what they came out of. most of the installation manuals only show one mount centered in the cabinets or on the braces. might be an airforce thing ?

BB
keeping it strac here boss
I hate aquaphobic horses ;)

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:46 pm

brian in denver wrote:seen quite a few receivers drilled in the corner like that, but not sure what they came out of. most of the installation manuals only show one mount centered in the cabinets or on the braces. might be an airforce thing ?

BB
I have seen the transmitters in the period photos with the single mount in the center. I can't see how the receivers were mounted in any of the period photos. I just figured since the receiver case was drilled for two "L" brackets that they used two on the receiver for some reason. Not sure why they would have, but the holes have paint in them as though it was originally manufactured that way...so just went with it. I didn't think they used the BC-312 in the planes for some reason.

I believe I met a friend of yours at the Petaluma Military Vehicle event. His name was Keith I believe. He was from Colorado and said he hangs out with you.

I dropped in the radio cabinet in the CC today:

It's a tight fit. I couldn't get it as close as I would have liked to the back of the front seat. The cabinet hits the conduit mounting hardware and can't go any further toward the seat. I had to modify the mounting feet as well as the cabinet tilted toward the rear of the vehicle and wasn't level. I think it is a mix of the original and new floor that caused the uneven surface:

After dinking around with it for a while, I have the cabinet so that one can still attach the safety strap:

I also noticed with the lack of room that if there was to be a cable from the junction box to the radio cabinet, there is no way to route it by the conduit. One would have to remove the connectors and thread the cable through there and then reassemble.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Received my data plates today! From Robert de Ruyter in the Netherlands. He really does nice work.

Also had him make up some of the 10.5 volt NOTE plates that were used on the 1/2 ton radio command cars. All I could find for sale were the 11.25 volt NOTE plates used on the 3/4 ton command cars. Thanks to Russ R - gidad here on the G - for the nice photo of an original 10.5 volt NOTE plate to copy for the reproduction. I picked up five extras just in case I will need a replacement. No, just kidding. Had him make one for all of the 1/2 ton radio command car owners I know. I'm hoping they are a least worth a six pack each! :o

Zeph

brian in denver
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by brian in denver » Mon May 22, 2017 11:33 am

I think you met russ morgan, he said he talked to you. we just got back from the cheyenne wells. MG shoot. kinda wet this year. cabinet is really looking good.
were getting kinda of overwhelmed with projects. I hope I can get the carryall together. before the storm hits. he snagged a BC191 out there. so after our sparky gets done trouble shooting it. I can just slap it in.

BB
keeping it strac here boss
I hate aquaphobic horses ;)

timsresort
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by timsresort » Mon May 22, 2017 6:57 pm

We b.s'd with Russ for a while around the command cars, had a few Coors, talked Dodge, weasels and radios. Always great to see him at the spring meet.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

timsresort

Post by timsresort » Mon May 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Also had him make up some of the 10.5 volt NOTE plates that were used on the 1/2 ton radio command cars. All I could find for sale were the 11.25 volt NOTE plates used on the 3/4 ton command cars. Thanks to Russ R - gidad here on the G - for the nice photo of an original 10.5 volt NOTE plate to copy for the reproduction. I picked up five extras just in case I will need a replacement. No, just kidding. Had him make one for all of the 1/2 ton radio command car owners I know. I'm hoping they are a least worth a six pack each! :o

Thanks, John. But after the last meet, I'm not sure if by six pack you mean beer or scotch.
41 WC-16
41 Lavine Gear !-ton trailer
51 M37
53 CJ3B
65 CJ5A
(2) 67 CJ5
46 Bantam T3-C #2376
67 M416
68 M274A5
MVPA #20343

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:31 pm

brian in denver wrote:I think you met russ morgan, he said he talked to you. we just got back from the cheyenne wells. MG shoot. kinda wet this year. cabinet is really looking good.
were getting kinda of overwhelmed with projects. I hope I can get the carryall together. before the storm hits. he snagged a BC191 out there. so after our sparky gets done trouble shooting it. I can just slap it in.

BB
Yes, that was him from Loveland Colorado. Met so many people his name escaped me. Seemed like a great guy. The projects can stack up that's for sure! Yes, we did drink a few beers that's for sure as well. Not that there is anything wrong with that...
Zeph

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”