Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Power Wagon truck forums, M37 etc.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Post by zepher11 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Well, Mr. Johnson entrusted me with the restoration of this Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car many years ago. This was just too close for me to not take a look at...about an hour north of me. Bill is a class act. With so many parts, I remember I had to make two loaded trips home. Bill also towed down a trailer load in addition to me on my second trip! All made it to my place safely until the restoration bug finally got me.

I know next to nothing about Command Cars...let alone radio stuff. I would like to restore it back to its former glory, but not sure about the availability of the radios that these had. In any event, it will be a great research project as I learn along the way. I really like the straight body as well as all of the little original door hardware etc... that are still in place. The floor needs a little rust repair, but overall there doesn't appear to be much rust repair to tackle. Missing a few items like the bows and rear seat frame and radio box. Most of the front seat frame is there. Bill had already found the hard to find gauges for the radio car, so I don't need to search for those. Here are some photos with her all tucked in now:

Last edited by zepher11 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Mark in Tucson
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Post by Mark in Tucson » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:21 pm

She looks pretty solid.
With that nice new work shop, no shuttling stuff around to work on her.
Has she gotten approval from G & G Services? :)

Mark

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:10 am

Mark in Tucson wrote:She looks pretty solid.
With that nice new work shop, no shuttling stuff around to work on her.
Has she gotten approval from G & G Services? :)

Mark
It will be nice to not trip over everything now with the extra room to work. G & G have gave it the once over and give it two paws up! 8)
Zeph

Niblet
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Niblet » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:05 am

I'm Jeaous :? I havent even started my jeep projects yet and I already know I want to "do" one of these!
1945 Willys MB
DOD 3-10-45
HN 20691353
SN 424804
My Restoration thread <a href=http://g503.com/forums/viewtopi ... >Here</a>

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:50 am

Niblet wrote:I'm Jeaous :? I havent even started my jeep projects yet and I already know I want to "do" one of these!
:lol: It's a lot like a Jeep...just a whole lot more expensive. I actually think I will have time to work on it this weekend. First up is to remove the body from the frame. Noodling through how to make that happen as the body is quite large. Likely will take me all weekend to remove the body bolts.
Zeph

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:19 am

Great project Zepher11,
I can't get over how rust free, complete and straight the body is.
Nice find,
Kelley
Kelley

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:34 pm

kelley wrote:Great project Zepher11,
I can't get over how rust free, complete and straight the body is.
Nice find,
Kelley
Thanks Kelley. I found a few more more rusted out hat channels and wheels wells underneath, but overall the body itself is in really good shape. Hat channels and floor replacement, I hope, will be the only metal replacement. At least any metal replacement I complete will not be easily seen. Takes the pressure off a bit so to speak. :)
Zeph

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Are you planning on replacing the whole floor? It looks like MWM has the rear 1/3rd I'm not sure about the rest. The hat channels can be formed up anywhere.

http://store.midwestmilitary.com/product-p/mwm111.htm
Kelley

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:56 pm

kelley wrote:Are you planning on replacing the whole floor? It looks like MWM has the rear 1/3rd I'm not sure about the rest. The hat channels can be formed up anywhere.

http://store.midwestmilitary.com/product-p/mwm111.htm
Hi Kelley,

I actually spoke to John the other day, but neglected to ask him about the availability of floor panels for the 1/2 ton CC. I knew he had 3/4 ton CC floor panels. It appears to me that the rear 1/3 is in pretty decent shape on this CC. It's the front 2/3 of the floor panel that looks a bit sketchy. I will know more after I get after it with the sandblaster. The hat channels shouldn't be too much trouble...I hope...

I was just checking out your CC project thread a little earlier. I hadn't noticed it before. Looking good! Keep the photos coming. It's nice to follow along with the various projects here on the G. I learn a lot by lurking around on this forum.

Regards,
Zeph

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Well I don't know about looking good, but it does look better than when i first got her. Mine will never be as nice as what you are starting out with, but i do enjoy working on it.
if you replace large sections of floor and hat channels i might suggest drilling a few weep holes in the channels to spray oil into from time to time.
Kelley

SteveG
USAF Cop (Ret)

Post by SteveG » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Zeph
Keep in mind that the asphalt looking coating you may find on the bottom side of the floor is the sound/vibration dampener used by the factory to quiet down that large flat floor.
Steve

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:25 am

kelley wrote:Well I don't know about looking good, but it does look better than when i first got her. Mine will never be as nice as what you are starting out with, but i do enjoy working on it.
if you replace large sections of floor and hat channels i might suggest drilling a few weep holes in the channels to spray oil into from time to time.
Hmmm...I hadn't thought of that.
SteveG wrote:Zeph
Keep in mind that the asphalt looking coating you may find on the bottom side of the floor is the sound/vibration dampener used by the factory to quiet down that large flat floor.
Steve
I was trying to determine if it was caked on mud or something applied at the factory. Now I know. A lot of it is just lifting and looks like it was a perfect reservoir to hold rain water over the years to assist the floor in rusting through. I'll find some updated undercoating for the repair. I'm sure Eastwood has something that would be equivalent to the factory coating.

Thanks!
Zeph

philbrinson
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by philbrinson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Welcome to the club! I'm working on one as well. Its all so much heavier than a jeep.

MWM has a lot of componants for the half tons they used not to. Like gauges and top frames.

If you come up with plans for the rear seat; please pass it on!

Check the bottoms of those frame cross-members; very rust prone!

Have fun!

Phil
1937 Quartermaster Cart
1941 WC12 1941 WC21
1941 MB 1942 GPW
1942 G506 1942 Ben Hur
1943 M3A1 1943 Clark CA-1
1943 USMC Handcart
1944 Ben Hur 1944 Converto
1952 M100

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:07 pm

philbrinson wrote:Welcome to the club! I'm working on one as well. Its all so much heavier than a jeep.

MWM has a lot of componants for the half tons they used not to. Like gauges and top frames.

If you come up with plans for the rear seat; please pass it on!

Check the bottoms of those frame cross-members; very rust prone!

Have fun!

Phil
Hi Phil,

You are right. The CC is like supersized vs. the Jeep. I did check out those cross members a little and they looked okay, but will again. I did notice that what I thought were three missing rivets in the cross member(s), but then I realized that that is normal/common on the half ton frames. I will need to post a photo of what I'm talking about.

I spoke to John at MWM last week, and he said he will have the rear seat frames completed soon. I believe he said 60 days. No fronts frames. I have pieces of the front frame. I think I might be able to make one myself, or repair what is left of the one I have.

I am at the point of removing the body, but not sure how yet. It appears a bit rickety due to the rust in the side channels, floor and floor hat channels. The wheel wells are rusted through pretty good as also. I just don't want it to crumple on me.

Looking forward to getting it all apart so I can start putting her back together.

Regards,
Zeph

philbrinson

Post by philbrinson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Put a couple of cross supports at the safety strap locations. As solid as this ones looks, I doubt you will have any problems at all. I pulled one that had no floor and another that had very little left. With the support at the cowl and the rear, its surprisingly rigid.

That's great news about the rear seats! Hurrah!

Phil
1937 Quartermaster Cart
1941 WC12 1941 WC21
1941 MB 1942 GPW
1942 G506 1942 Ben Hur
1943 M3A1 1943 Clark CA-1
1943 USMC Handcart
1944 Ben Hur 1944 Converto
1952 M100

Return to “Power Wagon Forums”