How to transport non runner CCKW from MI to GA

Driving one way empty? Need something moved? Coordinating the movement of rolling stock & parts among gee members.
signsup
banned

How to transport non runner CCKW from MI to GA

Post by signsup » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:30 am

Inherited non running CCKW truck in Michigan and need to get it here to Georgia. I don't have a tow vehicle or trailer large enough to transport it, but presume I could rent something one way, but would need to fly to MI, rent car, hook everything up , return car and drive rental rig back to GA. All doable, but don't know if tranport companies like I have used in the past for running cars, deal with non running large trucks.

How have others transported similar items?

I'll hang up and listen.

Thank you.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

gidad
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Re: How to transport non runner CCKW from MI to GA

Post by gidad » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:05 pm

I haul a lot of Dodges back and forth here in the southwest, both for myself and for friends. Moving a non-running vehicle is a bigger deal than most people realize, and a lot of work. First, you need to decide just how much you really want this truck and what it is actually worth to you. CCKW's are about 22 1/2 feet long and weigh about 8800 lbs. That translates into a 10,000 pound trailer with a bare minimum of a 20' deck. Plus it needs a recovery winch. A come along just won't cut it. Then you need the appropriate tow vehicle. I have an F350 diesel. Some people get away with towing this kind of load with a smaller truck but then there is no margin for error or safety or any kind of buffer. And the truck needs to roll. You can get away with 4 tires and chaining up one rear axle. But changing out those tires and repairing flats on split rims in a strange town is difficult. And you may need to drop drive lines if the trans or tc are messed up. And if it has been sitting in a moist environment then the brakes and drums might be frozen and it will only drag. You need to answer these questions and a few more and then decide if this truck has enough value to you to go to the effort and expense of getting it home. And then, when it is home you will need adequate storage. Working on a truck this size takes larger tools and heavier equipment than a hobbyist mechanic would normally have. Years ago I got a screaming deal on a DUKW and had to go through all of this before I understood it just wasn't worth it. I sold it to the next guy for what I had into it and was glad to be able to stop worrying about how I was going to get it home. Moving a large truck is much more than just renting a truck and trailer. Better to hire a local guy to prep the vehicle for transport and then have him available to help load it onto a transport company trailer. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but better to learn from other people's experience. Russ

signsup
banned

Re: How to transport non runner CCKW from MI to GA

Post by signsup » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Absolutely great information. I'd rather learn life lessons from someone else's life than my own. Sounds like I need to find an owner in Michigan and let have the opportunity to restore this. Maybe if I really want something larger than my jeep, I'll look at a WC51 or a G506.
Thanks for saving me a heart attack.

RB
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Return to “Transportation”