What are Ferrets going for these days? Where to look?

Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture
ChaseR83
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

What are Ferrets going for these days? Where to look?

Post by ChaseR83 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a total armor noob, but not new to restoring vehicles. I'd never given Ferrets much thought because I always assumed I wouldn't fit in one... but now I'm giving them a closer look.

What are they going for these days? Where is the best place to look for one?

I'd be looking for a Mk. 2/3 or M.2/4 with the rotating turret.

Don't mind a project as long I can find one that is complete.... to be honest, after reading through several resto threads on Ferrets I don't think I'd trust going down the road at 50 mph in one I'd hadn't been through completely myself.

I'd appreciate any advise.

Thanks

pdqf
G-Major
G-Major

Re: What are Ferrets going for these days? Where to look?

Post by pdqf » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:08 pm

I have a friend that has one. Call 515-442-3126 PDQF

mosehring
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by mosehring » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:53 am

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by DDTrustee » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:29 am

try these guys....they may have a project vehicle for you or can get you one.....

http://www.khakicorpsimports.com/
reenacting and WWII history

Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Buggy Man » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Chase
The going rate for a ferret depends on a lot of things including where you're located. The particular variant also affects the price. Mk.2s are more popular than say a Mk.1/2 becaue they have a rotating turret (looks more tank like?). I happen to like the 1/2 or the Mk.1 becaue it is easier to get in & out of for us older non rubbery guys. Not 18 or 5'6" & 150 lbs anymore.

I've owned 2 ferrets both Mk.1/2s Didn't set out to specifically buy that mark, it's just what was available at the time. The first one was complete, unrestored but a non runner and I paid around 4k for it back in '08. My current one I accidentally purchased off of ebay :oops: . Is also complete, unrestored but runs. I paid around 10k for that one. Restored (& running) units can be had in the 20-30k range. Prices go up every year.

If you're not already a member join this sight: hmvf.co.uk Lot's of good guys over there that can answer any questions you might have regarding Ferrets. Good luck!

Matt

teletech
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by teletech » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:26 am

Two years on and the state of play is about this:
I've seen them on Craigslist, Ebay, and Millweb. KhakiCorp often has them and lately REME Depot is really getting into the business.

Vehicles needing total restoration and missing parts seem to be going for $8,000-10,000 in the US.
Good running vehicles I've been seeing for around $30,000 in the US. MUCH cheaper in the UK, but doing your own import is NOT for the faint of heart. A Mk2 is still worth a good premium over a Mk1 but I notice the more active Ferret fans actually have more love for the Mk1. Myself included, I got a Mk1 that someone converter to a Mk2 and stripped the turret back off.

Yes, if it's been sitting at all you should assume you need to do the brakes at least and likely the fuel tank.
It's 32 grease fittings and four fill plugs just for the exterior front suspension, these things were state of the art in the early 50s but are super maintenance-heavy by today's standards. You have been warned.

Trackpad
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Trackpad » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:31 pm

Hello mate,

I am 6'6 tall and have been driving Ferrets on and off road for years with no big problems. Just remove the back of the driver's seat ( and the screw adjuster) and you should be OK.

At my height I am cramped in almost every vehicle ever built so I'm well accustomed to making allowances.

It might also help to drive with your side hatch scopes not fitted. Even that inch or so of vision block can make a difference.

Cheers

Phill
1944 GPW (USMC Ambulance tribute)
1943 MB (Parts vehicle)

Return to “Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture”