Daimler engine oil laks

Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture
Paul Randazzo
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Daimler engine oil laks

Post by Paul Randazzo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:22 am

Hello all,

I'm presently working on a Dingo Scout Car and need information about crank shaft seals. We are having a leakage problem from the oil pan gasket, timing case cover gasket, oil pump gasket and crank shaft as well. I see the crank shaft has a spiral cut groove to direct the oil back into the sump the same spiral cut on vibration damper. Could it be possible that too much oil is remaining in the sump when the engine is running and not enough is being scavenged out to the tank? I am looking for a good place to find gaskets and also the rubber seal that is fitted to the back side of the vibration damper that rides against the timing case cover (see attached photo). We pulled the pan and disassembled the oil pumps and found no wear. We do have work shop and parts manuals. Both have been somewhat helpful but not so comprehensive. Trying to translate the King's English to what we yanks would call part names has been a bit of a challenge too. It's all been fun though. Any and all information will be helpful. When we get this done we'll go after the differential gear boxes, they're all leaking too. Many thanks in advance.

Paul
image1[2].JPG
image1[2].JPG (16 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
1960 Hotchkiss M201
1951 JDF 1/4 ton
Fleet Automotive Tech ret
Chief Veh Maint Mech Museum of American Armor Old Bethpage NY

Blitzdough
G-Major
G-Major
Re: Daimler engine oil leaks

Post by Blitzdough » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi Paul,

If you aren't already signed up on "The Dingo Register" in Yahoo Groups, you might try joining that group for information & parts sources. Another place to try for parts is the El Alamein Collection. http://www.elalamein.eu/ Peter-Geert Hommes has had some dingo parts for sale in the past.

Chuck

Paul Randazzo
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Daimler engine oil leaks

Post by Paul Randazzo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Chuck,
Thanks, I'll check him out. I registered with the yahoo group-not much there. I registered with the Dingo Society on FB-no responce. I did make contact with a good guy in the UK and he had the info I needed and the parts as well. They were delivered this week. I'll be digging in next week. If anyone needs stuff this guy might be of some help. Again many thanks!
Paul
1960 Hotchkiss M201
1951 JDF 1/4 ton

artificer
banned

Re: Daimler engine oil laks

Post by artificer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:35 am

Make sure the reverse scrolls are clean & free from damage plus the oil is only coming from that area....not wicking from elsewhere ....keyway etc.
We used a compound called Stag 'red' sealing all over on the Austin Champs Ferrets etc especially the bevel boxes & dry dumps.

Google:

British to US automotive terms/terminology

One will find lists from various sources.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Paul Randazzo
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Daimler engine oil laks

Post by Paul Randazzo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi John,
The reverse scrolls are clean. There was seepage between the timing cover and front plate as well as the sump and rear cover. Part of the problem was we weren't checking the oil correctly. We over filled the tank bringing the oil level above the scrolls. We received new gaskets and the rubber seal behind the damper. Going back together soon. I'll post the results
1960 Hotchkiss M201
1951 JDF 1/4 ton

Return to “Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture”