An affordable off-road vehicle w. replacement parts

Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture
DAnconiaLead
G-Civilian
An affordable off-road vehicle w. replacement parts

Post by DAnconiaLead » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm seeking suggestions for an affordable off-road vehicle that also street-legal (with nothing more then a Class A license), has good off-road capabilities, can serve as a platform for family-camping, and if/when needed, could serve as a bug-out-vehicle for the family.

I'm an OTR driver and, while on-the-road, I meet a family (in Kansas) that was using a BTR-152 for this purpose. According to them, the BTR-152 as near perfect because it was affordable to acquire (they claim to have paid $5,000), easy to maintain with lots of spare parts available, has good off-road capabilities, is legal on-road, is currently their family camping platform, and is armored against small-arms if/when SHTF.

Out of curiosity, I checked to see where one of these vehicles could be purchased in the US and what one would cost and, unfortunately, can't find one...

First, would any of you be able to recommend a better vehicle for this purpose?

Secondly, would you know where I could acquire such a vehicle?

I'm seeking something with the following characteristics;

1.) Decent off-road capabilities.

2.) Legal on-road (with a Class-A)

3.) Able to transport a family of four for camping, an off-road adventure, or to bug-out.

4.) Armored against small-arms fire (an asset in a bug-out scenario)

5.) Affordable in it's own right as well as having plentiful and affordable replacement parts.

Thank you for your assistance....
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis!!!

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: An affordable off-road vehicle w. replacement parts

Post by W. Winget » Mon May 02, 2016 6:44 am

I would highly recommend visiting the SteelSoldiers.com forum for modified vehicles and equipment of this nature.
That said, few armored "trucks" are available in the US unless imported from overseas as they apparently had done.

US military vehicles are typically demilled of Armor before being released as scrap, but there are a few out there, not likely suitable for a family road trip, nor cheap. You will not find a MRAP for sale anytime soon.

The US M939 series 5 Tons can be had for around $5000 (really lucky find) and up at Govplanet surplus sales, these are automatic 6x6 cargo trucks with super single Central Inflation System tires, and could fill the bill for three in the passenger compartment, and if not driven for commercial use, do not require a Class A or B even though equipped with airbrakes. You could add a porta-poty, cargo area seats and armor via "Hillbilly Armor" if desired as you built out a camper, this would be your cheapest 'practical' route of achieving your goal that I can see.

There's also a slew of FMTV modern style 3-5T series trucks on Gov Planet (look at LMTV and MTV) that would use many off the shelf commercial parts (if your not worried about keeping her military obviously) and keep running for many years.

All that said, there are several importers of foreign vehicles, some of which may have armored capabilities, but I'm not playing the SHTF card for my family... good luck.
V/R W. Winget

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forum.php

http://www.govplanet.com/Trucks+and+Vehicles

FMTV (Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles, the newest generation of tactical trucks (generally 1991 onward))
LMTV (Light Medium Tactical Vehicle, 4x4 COE type trucks)
MTV (Medium Tactical Vehicle 6x6 COE type trucks)

Conny
Active ARMY - Sgt
Active ARMY - Sgt

Post by Conny » Tue May 17, 2016 7:19 am

The BTR-40 is a good choice and available as well as a good camper vehicle. I saw one BTR-40 with an old Dodge 230 engine with syncro transmission. However, "IF" the SHTF, I would not be driving around in any vehicle. Your a sitting duck for all the zombie's out there. Learn how to fortify your home, your yard, escape route, etc...Learn to make weapons that the government says you can't own. In a fortified position, your odds are 3-1 which is better then being in the middle of nowhere in a vehicle.
Rangers Lead the Way,
Duane Leiker

1944 M29C Floater, "Jasmine" (SOLD)
1974 German Faun Kraka (Kraftkarren) "Rommel" (SOLD)

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed May 18, 2016 9:48 am

BTR had twin Dodge WWII 230 (Russian engines) The one at Fort Stewart had a really stiff clutch spring and I had to push my leg down with a hand to get it into and out of gear (done supposedly to keep GI's from riding the clutch)
It was a real sweatbox, which I was only too happy to turn back in after doing a target recognition week for the troops I was training and try walking straight again.
Much more reasonable means of accomplishing your desired mission, you just have to spend money...
V/R W Winget

Return to “Other MV's, Non U.S. Manufacture”