Spring cleaning

1941 - 1945, Willys MB & Ford GPW jeeps, NO EBAY, Craigslist or COMMERCIAL SALES.
lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Spring cleaning

Post by lt.luke » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:39 am

Sump mouth. GPW and brass. $20

Frame section with body support $5

T84 trans crossmember. As pictured, fair condition. The part where the trans sits is flat. Some of the bolt holes and flanges will need some work. Fairly easy to repair. $30.

CCKW hooks. Two left shoes. (Both go on the left frame horn as facing the vehicle. These are the same or similar as found on SOME jeeps. $20 each.

All plus the ride. Overseas sales are fine. Some negotiability possible....I’ll laugh if you lowball me and the parts will continue to ride my shelves.

I have a set of TO Willys main bearing caps. No pic, but can with interest. $25 for the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Re: Spring cleaning

Post by lt.luke » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:38 pm

Bump

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:28 pm

lt.luke wrote:Bump
What's the difference between a T84 and a T90 crossmember? The one in my GPW does not line up with the transfer case front housing bracket mount. Could it be the wrong crossmember? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:36 pm

The T-84 is physically smaller. The cover plate is significantly different and the crossmember is made a bit deeper.

On the crossmember, there is a plate with a dogleg type bend that extends the mount point rearward slightly and downward a bit. The wide rubber mount goes on the plate.

If you are talking about the large bolt with the donut on the passenger side, I guess it’s possible the cross member is the issue.

Do you have propshafts & pedal Z-bar mounted? If all that stuff lines up, then the crossmember is all I can think of.

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 am

lt.luke wrote:The T-84 is physically smaller. The cover plate is significantly different and the crossmember is made a bit deeper.

On the crossmember, there is a plate with a dogleg type bend that extends the mount point rearward slightly and downward a bit. The wide rubber mount goes on the plate.

If you are talking about the large bolt with the donut on the passenger side, I guess it’s possible the cross member is the issue.

Do you have propshafts & pedal Z-bar mounted? If all that stuff lines up, then the crossmember is all I can think of.
Thanks for the help. Is the plate with a dogleg type bend that extends the mount point rearward slightly and downward a bit in your picture above?

Everything (except the doughnut on the passenger side) aligns up pretty well but I do have to force the cross member back when mounting it to the frame after mounting the transmission.

Perhaps I need to buy yours to see if that is the problem.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:58 am

That plate is not in the pic. Give me a little bit. It’s impossible to see the thing on the jeep with everything in place.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:09 am

I looked and can’t find one here, so I robbed this from Ron’s parts site...

You should not really have to “force” anything.

This plate mounts to the crossmember. The rectangle rubber mount mounts to the plate. The transfer case mount point then mounts through the doughnut on the actual crossmember as you’ve well sorted out.

I’m all about selling my parts (obviously) but I’m not on board with someone buying them as a “maybe” versus troubleshooting the issue first.

I suppose your crossmember could be altered or banged out of line? If that’s the case, mine is a take out. It’s not terrible...but might not be any better.

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:48 pm

cjpryor wrote:
lt.luke wrote:The T-84 is physically smaller. The cover plate is significantly different and the crossmember is made a bit deeper.

Thanks for the help. Is the plate with a dogleg type bend that extends the mount point rearward slightly and downward a bit in your picture above?

Everything (except the doughnut on the passenger side) aligns up pretty well but I do have to force the cross member back when mounting it to the frame after mounting the transmission.

This is what mine looks like at the doughnut hole.

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:58 pm

cjpryor wrote:
cjpryor wrote:

This is what mine looks like at the doughnut hole.

This what it looks like top side.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Ok, I went to Google and pulled up pics of a M.B./GPW & an M38. (M38 had the T90).

I would suggest you do as well and compare the pics to what you have. The m38 cross looks deeper & you can tell by measuring from the donut down to the bottom of the saddle. There is a dicernable difference in the two.

Assuming you have all the mounts installed properly, the incorrect crossmember would exhibit the symptoms you have.

(Is it my imagination or are your levers a little short?)

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:18 pm

lt.luke wrote:Ok, I went to Google and pulled up pics of a M.B./GPW & an M38. (M38 had the T90).

I would suggest you do as well and compare the pics to what you have. The m38 cross looks deeper & you can tell by measuring from the donut down to the bottom of the saddle. There is a dicernable difference in the two.

Assuming you have all the mounts installed properly, the incorrect crossmember would exhibit the symptoms you have.

The levers look short due to their position and the alignment of the camera. I did not know I had a problem with the crossmember until I replaced the front TC housing that had a broken front mount with one that was not broken. It seems to work fine as is but I would prefer that it be correct.

It is often hard for me to figure out this sort of problem just by looking at pictures. That is why I like to ask people with actual hands-on experience.

How much do you think it would cost to ship your cross member to 87123?

Thanks

cjpryor
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by cjpryor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:31 pm

cjpryor wrote:
lt.luke wrote:Ok, I went to Google and pulled up pics of a M.B./GPW & an M38. (M38 had the T90).

The levers look short due to their position and the alignment of the camera. I did not know I had a problem with the crossmember until I replaced the front TC housing that had a broken front mount with one that was not broken. It seems to work fine as is but I would prefer that it be correct.

It is often hard for me to figure out this sort of problem just by looking at pictures. That is why I like to ask people with actual hands-on experience.

How much do you think it would cost to ship your cross member to 87123?

Thanks

I looked at pics and my cross member is Not what I saw for the M38. The pics I saw for an M38 have three top holes on each end where it bolts to the frame. Mine only has one on each end.

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:33 pm

You are missing the rubber portion of the mount at the t-case. Wonder if that would help everything else line up.

There are slight differences between CJ and M38. CJ2a probably had attaching points similar to M.B./GPW. Tho that’s just a guess.

Return to “Willys MB & Ford GPW, For Sale Section”