GPA Radiator Value?

1941 - 1945, Willys MB & Ford GPW jeeps, NO EBAY, Craigslist or COMMERCIAL SALES.
SPIESS
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

GPA Radiator Value?

Post by SPIESS » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:26 am

Gentlemen, It has been a long time since I have asked for help but I recently purchased a 42 GPW that has what looks to be a great condition original GPA marked radiator in it. I want to put a good GPW marked radiator in it. What is the market value of this radiator. I haven' tested to condition of it but it is holding antifreeze.

Thanks
Scott

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: GPA Radiator Value?

Post by Michael O. » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:47 am

The question is what is it worth to you? The problem with having parts to rare vehicles is that it's a very small niche market...trust me....I have had various parts for years that I can't practically give away because the vehicles aren't the "common" types although I'm sure a GPA radiator will be easier to move.

Put a price on it and post it to the appropriate boards in this forum. If it doesn't sell, then lower your price until it does.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

SPIESS
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by SPIESS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:57 am

Michael, I appreciate the comments, but I need a ball park figure to set what I think is fair. Left and right limits! I am looking to replace it with a correct good functional original or reproduction GPW radiator.

Scott

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:05 am

SPIESS wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:57 am
Michael, I appreciate the comments, but I need a ball park figure to set what I think is fair. Left and right limits! I am looking to replace it with a correct good functional original or reproduction GPW radiator.

Scott
Then do it backwards, and figure out what a "good" GPW radiator that fits your needs will cost. The GPA radiator will be worth a little more....maybe $50 - 100 additional.

Are you completing a factory level restoration of your GPW? If not, I'd just leave the GPA radiator on it.

Donovan
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Donovan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:07 pm

Scott,
Do not get too strarry-eyed because you found a GPA radiator. The problem is that it may have enough modifications for it to fit into a GPW that it may detract from its value. I am pretty sure that the way a GPW radiator mounts compared to a GPA is different and would require mods to mounting hardware. Also the radiator shroud on a GPA is bolted on not soldered like I believe a GPW is. If these components are missing on the GPA radiator it may be expensive to repair/replace for the new GPA purchaser.

FWIW,

Donovan
GPA 11374

Michael Browne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: Yackandandah, NE Victoria..greatest part of Australia, always 26 deg and sunny

Post by Michael Browne » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:22 pm

SPIESS wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:57 am

Scott
Hi Scott,

Years ago I sold a GPA radiator to a GPA guy for three times the then going price for a GPW radiator. Why ... because there are no reproduction GPA radiators and he needed one.
Most GPA guys want to collect the parts at normal jeep prices, and I was one of them, but I ask them this ... would they sell me their GPA for $25-30K (about the going price for a nice GPW) .. no :o ... nothing about being starry eyed just supply and demand.

Keep the GPA one in your jeep until you find a buyer who will pay the right price.

Good luck
Michael Browne
Heron Hill Motorpool

REAL jeeps have BAR GRILLES and FLAT FENDERS. The rest are imitations.

Donovan
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Donovan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Michael,
He has every right to get what the going rate is which is higher than a GPW radiator. My point is that the true value is likely diminished by being modified to fit a GPW. Often people find they have a GPA part on their jeep and believe they have hit a gold mine. As a GPA owner, I have seen these modifications and seen what it takes to correct the modifications to make it fit a factory class GPA and often is not cheap. My point is that he should be aware of these potential modifications and make sure the potential buyer is aware.

Often existing GPA owners will acquire parts they do not need for potential bartering for parts they do need. If he is anxious to sell and replace, then my opinion still stands as it may provide additional buyers to purchase the GPA radiator even though it has likely been modified.

I also agree that if he is not in a hurry to replace the radiator then he should keep the radiator in his vehicle until a suitable buyer is found.

Donovan
GPA 11374

SPIESS
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by SPIESS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:35 am

Thanks guys.

Bruce W
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Bruce W » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:25 pm

" potential modifications"

I have a GPA radiator in a '48 CJ2-A, it works very well, never overheats and has no shroud, but I can't find any evidence that it's been modified. What makes anyone say that his is probably modified? Has anyone seen it? Has anyone ever seen a GPA radiator in an MB or CJ? Does anyone know for a fact that modifications are needed to make a GPA radiator work in an MB or CJ?
I originally thought that I had struck gold too, when I realized that my radiator was a GPA unit, but when I thought about the questionable quality of anyone's used or repro radiator (either way you don't know what you're going to get), and the fact that it works very well where it is, I decided to leave it there. BW
G Trp 2nd Sqdrn 3d Armored Cavalry Ft. Lewis 1970-71. 43GPW(Sarge?) 47CJ2A(Teddy) 47CJ2A(Rusty) 47CJ2A(Zak) 48CJ2A(Lefty) 48CJ2A(Uncle Linden) 53CJ3B(Bulldog) 88XJ(Pluto) NE CO

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 am

Just to add my 2 cents to what Bruce wrote: I've not found any evidence of modifications on my GPA radiator in my GPW.
The short shroud is attached by means of bolts so the radiator can even be sold without it :mrgreen: .
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

wo2jeeper
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by wo2jeeper » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:38 pm

There are more GPA radiators in the market then GPA’s to excist. That affects the price for sure. Think level is just same as a GPW marked one then.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:03 pm

More GPA Radiators on the market? Where are they all? Am sure if the core is the same as GPW and it is serviceable they could be valuable to GPW restorers. If Scott holds on to it and puts the word out a customer will show up. This is a good question for GPA owners.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 am

If my radiator core is still original, and I believe it is, the GPA radiator core is not the same.
It's a 4 tubes core.
I don't have a GPW radiator, but I think it's a 3 tubes core, isn't it ?
The cooling capacity should be higher than normal MB/GPW radiators.

I believe that there are a few GPA radiators installed in MB's and GPW's like mine. At least in Europe.

I've eventually found mods on GPA radiators to fit the jeep :
The little tab that secures the radiator rod was added on my radiator and is to be removed. Easy as the tab is tin soldered.
Top view of the GPA radiator.
GPA_ROLLING_CHASSIS-7.jpg
GPA_ROLLING_CHASSIS-7.jpg (105.05 KiB) Viewed 995 times
Also the 2 screws at the bottom side to attach the radiator are not necessary in a GPA.

I don't know if the radiator cap on that picture is the correct one, but I've found exactly the same on my GPA radiator.

BTW there is an original GPA radiator for sale @ 315 € here : http://www.nekvasil.cz/en/special-offer ... d-gpa.html
That's really a cheap price.
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:59 am

In all fairness to the seller, I don't have a clue about the differences and similarities of the two types of radiators used on GPA/GPW, but am learning a lesson in not commenting on the value of property belonging to others without first knowing what I am talking about.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Return to “Willys MB & Ford GPW, For Sale Section”