shovels and more shovels ADDED more info

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
john barton
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

shovels and more shovels ADDED more info

Post by john barton » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:17 pm

I recently received some dated gov’t documents that give extremely detailed specifications for shovels. They include drawings, measurement, markings, finish, etc. I’ll show some scans below. They provide complete descriptions of many types and styles.

I’d like to show some info about the number 2, round point, D handle shovel, usually associated with our jeeps. First, I have not seen any WWII documents or manuals that state a MB/GPW gets a #2 shovel. It has been discussed on here many times, with the basic spec’s given, that this (#2 round point D handle) is the jeep shovel. I have yet to see- in any G503 wartime SNL, ORD7 8 9, or TM, a description of a shovel. There are pictures of jeeps with shovels on them in a few manuals, but they are not discussed. I have seen articles in the MV magazines that gave unit Tables of Equipment (T/E)‘s. If there was a jeep and a shovel in a T/E, I guess you could make a connection and claim that at least one jeep and a shovel would eventually meet. In later M series manuals I have seen this shovel listed in a roundabout way. The vehicle has a “pioneer rack” ..it then lists tools that fit in the rack. Again, the manual doesn’t say shovel is part of vehicle equipment. The shovel is described “must meet spec xxx…”. That number is the same as the documents I’m going to reference.

But, again- the shovel and axe were not part of the vehicle, They weren’t put on at the factory, and weren’t provided by some upper echelon. The unit that had a jeep, had a T/E, and if it included shovels, they probably carried it on the jeep.

I received these papers from the historian at the AMES company. AMES supplied “over 11 million” shovels to the gov’t in WWII. Not all were #2, in fact- they are more famous for the folding E-tool. I have not been through all the documents, but even if I find a contract, it will not say the shovels were for jeeps.
However, the #2 round point, D handle shovels that AMES did sell…would have to meet Federal Specification GGG-S-326. These are not AMES documents, but the federal spec that AMES had to comply with to sell the gov’t a shovel. I received several versions of this document dating from 1917 up to 1940. This spec (latest revision) is still in effect. You can order it from the GAO, but I did not find an online version. If you want to sell a shovel to the gov’t…it must still meet these specs.

I read all the spec’s. They describe several styles of #2 shovels that would fit on jeep. #2’s came in long handle, square point, different blade types, etc.. But, the #2 shovels that will fit a jeep are called:

plain back, blade secured by two straps …pic

solid shank, socket for wood handle…pic

open or closed back, has open recess or covered back…pic

A few times on here I have seen on G503 someone say the “triangle reinforcement” was a spec for correct shovels- (I would point it out on shovels I sold). The triangle reinforcement does not appear in any spec. The shovel that has it, is the plain back, two strap design. One strap is integral with blade, the other is on opposite side and welded to blade. It appears most often in the period pictures.

While there are 3 or 4 types of blades on these shovels…from the spec, and from the pictures, there are ½ dozen of more types of D handles:
split wood, steel socket, cast steel. etc…all are allowable in spec as long as they are certain width and depth.

I went though all my jeep picture books looking for pictures of shovels.

Picture books..a partial list includes:
Hail to the Jeep Wells
Jeeps Over the Pacific Ohtsuka
JEEP Becker & Dentzler
Art of the Jeep AAW in Japanese
La JEEP
Jeep ISO Pictorial #2
Indestructible Jeep Ballentine/Denfield
US Military Jeep 1941-1945
Military Jeep Complete 3 in 1
The Jeep Juedy/Tararine
Essential Military Jeep Scott
Jeep Fertherston
AAW 1, 1rev 2, 3.
Preproduction Civilian Jeeps Coldwell
Jeep Clayton
JEEP 1942-1945 Brookland collection 1
Jeep Olyslager
Military Jeep (different one) 1941 1945
Jeep 1940-45 Bilch/Daten
American Jeep in War and Peace (suck book)
The Standardized Wartime Jeep Farley
Rare WW2 Jeep Photo Archives
Jeep Genesis Rifkind
The Military Jeep Nabholtz
The GPW Judging Standards
Wheels and Tracks, After the Battle series books
every issue of ARMY MOTORS & Military Vehicles from #1
couple dozen SNL’s TM’s ORD’s
lot of unit books, history series, Campaign books…etc..plus many others

I have posted scans from some of these books many times when I was selling shovel and axe sets here. The first thing that was obvious from the pictures… was that- 99 percent of the time the jeeps didn’t have a shovel..! When there was a shovel on the jeep…it was usually one of the 3 styles listed above.
Pics from jeep books of each style.

plain back two strap
see how d handle is way out from body on last pic above!! Discussed below.

solid shank

open back

Again, the plain back two strap style seems more prevalent, the solid shank was next, and least often seen was the open back. But all did appear, as well as the WWI style (it is described in the 1917 spec), the solid wood D handle, the British (my description) T handle, and others. Some have posted on here that the open back, rolled over shoulder was not correct. It does appear in period pics. Some have also posted that all WWII shovels needed USA stamped on them to be correct; not so-see below.

The gov’t spec’s refer to shovels by commercial number…#2, #3, #4, etc…as well as the gov’t designated names (type A, etc or type II, VI etc), and sometimes cite a specific manufacturers model as an example of what shovels must look like. Using a branded and commercial designation implies that off the shelf stock shovels were used in writing the specs. There is probably no Willys or Ford engineering drawing for a shovel!!

Posting some scans from 1934 and 1940 version of spec. Can’t post all of each..one is 21 pages, the other is 12. Also the photocopy quality is not that great on 1934 version…I hope you can read these-

Note the detail about wood specs..it goes on for 3 pages about knots, blemishes, etc. Detailed metal requirements…Rockwell hardness, min/max thickness, etc

The 1934 spec contains the most details…the 1940 revision has a few differences. One important difference, is the marking (included in scans above). All must have manufacturer’s name or trademark. From 1917 until 1934..it also needed USED stamped on it- United States Engineering Depot. After 1934, it also needed- USA (Army purchases only) stamped on it.. But those requirements are not in the 1940 revision…only name or trademark were necessary. I have seen USED shovels, there was a pic of one on here a few days ago..I have found USA on many..But, it was not a requirement for WWII. I imagine a lot of WWII jeeps had USED and USA marked shovels…but a shovel without USA is correct after 1940..if you go by the specs!
“Made in USA” appears on many shovels, (sometimes with USA) but I don’t believe that is what the spec refers to.

Did the gov’t, realizing in 1940, that they would need a lot of shovels, and that manufacturers had a lot of commercial unmarked ones in stock, remove the USA requirement?? The gov’t and suppliers probably also had some USA stamped still in stock??. If you read the Rifkin report on the jeep procurement…there were many instances were the spec was determined and written from an available part…and not the other way around. I don’t know…speculation on my part. Another reason for this guess is that the history of QMC and Procurement (as I can find on the web) describes how gov’t buyers would use commercial samples, and had relationships with large suppliers. So, having a spec that described an already existing, on the shelf, item is not unusual. I don’t think the gov’t wrote a new spec for the jeep shovel and then send out initiations….the shovels were already there.
Page 49 of the Jeep Genesis/Rifkind Report (the ISO book…not the actual report) lists some of the final characteristics that were provided by the QMC Motor Transport Service to Willy’s. Included is the sentence-“and brackets for mounting the standard shovel and axe”. What is a “standard” shovel?
How did the willys engineers decide the body cutout and shovel bracket dimensions? Probably went to the hardware store and bought a shovel and axe?? Do any of the jeep historians have any info??

Shovel fit:
There are #2, round point, D handle shovels…that meet the spec in every regard…but do not fit on a jeep. (see pic above) It must have the correct lift. The spec allows several inches variance. Lift is how much the D handle rises off the ground if back of blade is flat on ground. Another lift measurement is how far the blade tip is off the ground if the handle is flat on the ground.

Check out Claude Pons’ website...he illustrates what I call the flea market test. If you lay the shovel tip down on the ground, there needs to be 3 or 4 inches of space between where wood handle enter blade socket. If the handle is parallel, or near parallel to the ground..it will not fit on jeep. The D handle will stick out from side of jeep…6 or more inches…! The gov’t bought some of these!…there are pics of many shovels on jeeps…D handle sticking out..or the handle is snug and the blade is out on fender!. Claude’s site also has 30/40 pictures of the 1000+? surplus shovels that where found in the French warehouse (70’s). An article in ARMY MOTORS listed all the brands they found. The Becker/Dentzer book also lists them.
AMES now owns most of the old shovel brands…they also made shovels for other companies during WWII. Baldwin, AMES, True Temper- seem to be most common?

Some pictures of variations:
WWI style
all wood D handle
color photo

I looked for this information because I am asked many questions about shovels and axes…I don’t have any gov’t contracts…I couldn’t prove that any particular brand or style was on a WWII jeep. Please don’t start the wrench argument! I’m providing it for information only. Looking at the pictures of WWII jeeps and shovels, I think it can be seen that shovels purchased under both specs showed up on jeeps. There are some that look painted black, some that don’t look painted. I have found OD painted shovels with or without USA, etc. A WWII jeep shovel could be: #2, round point, several styles of D handle, vary between- 38 3/8” and 41 3/8”, painted or natural metal, wax or lacquered wood, USA on some, brand or trademark for sure, handle painted some with name, and probably some other variations. Specs are precise, but describe a lot of shovels. And, I get asked, but I’m not aware of a certain shovels for slats, MB’s or GPW’s
Comments, additional info, or more pics (I probably have it), are appreciated.
thanks, John

Wanted to add some more information about shovel fit. There have been some questions lately. I went to a flea market today and found several good shovels. But I really wanted to show the “flea market test”. If you go to Claude Pons website, there are examples of
many acceptable brands, and one picture of the flea market test. He invented it??
I referred to it in the original shovel post, and had a spec drawing that described lift,
but a picture is better
Flea market season is here…so everyone should get out there for the shovels and axes.

picture of solid shank shovel, note distance between ground and where shank and
blade meet..this one has 3 or 4 inches…it fits very well on jeep. This shovel is 36
inches long.

another solid shank…this shovel is almost 37 inches long. has 3 or 4 inches of lift again
fits on jeep well

here is an open back shovel, lift is ok, but it is 39 inches long…that’s within specs..
but it does make it stand out further from body. In this case the front footman with long shovel strap should be moved to the back holes…when you tighten down the strap,
and put axe strap over it, and tighten that one..it is still pretty close to body.
I didn’t move footman loop for these pic’s

here is a two strap shovel…it is the most common in period jeep pics..it is also the one that I find most often with out enough lift. This one has less lift, but fits ok. I would use
back holes again because it is longer.

here is a two strap with not enough lift, regardless of length, it will stick out from body

there are period pics of ill fitting shovels on jeeps..i showed one pic above in original post.
There are also several pictures where it is obvious the GI didn’t strap them on securely
or properly because they are falling and loose…Probably didn’t have operator’s manual?
Here’s a period pic of shovel with not enough lift..and with straps not through
handle correctly..Hey! that’s the way it was…more interesting with variation!

So when you’re out tool hunting like all good jeepers should…try the flea market test.
Prices on these shovels ranged from $3 to $10…just depends on how much you like it.
I’ll buy some broken ones for parts, etc. Always searching for the perfect set. As I find more, I keep the best ones for my jeep and sell the others. Only found one good axe head!
Will be cleaning, sand blasting, sanding, painting, and oiling tomorrow. Sunday, there is a good flea market with lots of tools…have to get there early…
John

NEXT…axes!
Last edited by john barton on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
original MVCC since 1978
original member # 1532

Sic Semper Tyrannis

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:29 pm

Outstanding post, as usual, John! I have only read it once, but I am sure I will go over it quite a few times.
Basically, if I got you right, there is not a jeep shovel as such, but rather there are shovels that complied with army requirements and ,by pure luck, did fit better than others when strapped to a jeep.
There is a manual for jeeps that does mention and list shovels,even if expressly mentioning that they <are NOT issued with the vehicle,but issued as organisational equipment and installed by the using troops.>
It is a postwar manual for MB and GPW.
ORD 7 SNL G-503,JUNE 1951.
Page 92, Miscellaneous material
SHOVEL,general purpose( yeah, a G.P. shovel!) "D" hdl,plain back,strap pattern,rd-pt.
STOCK No 41-S-3170, ORD PART No 41-S-3170.

Digressing a tiny bit, John, I saw your comment on that American Jeep in war and peace book. I do not disagree with you, but I wonder what your comment is regarding Essential jeep, by G.Scott, the one with aluminum alloy springs...

Looking forward to your post on axes.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:29 pm

Wow!!!! Thanx John!!! Little by little some of the minute mysteries of our beloved little trucks reveal themselves :D
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Robert Tofson
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Robert Tofson » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:41 pm

Hi John,............thanks for going the extra mile to provide this information. It was I am sure, quite a task to obtain the data, then to sort through it. It's information like this, from people like you that make the GEE a world class site.

Once again, many thanks for your hard work.

Bob
I have a 1945 MB, DOD 16 Jan 1945, MB # 407049, Hood # 20673717 S, Engine # MB 537670, Body Serial # 178043
MVPA # 21201

Nikko
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: shovels and more shovels

Post by Nikko » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:08 am

HI John

Thank a lot for all the info you have DIGGED upp :D :D

Cheers From The Cold North
Nikko 8)
1943 GPW 135099
1949 Spen 1/4 t trailer S/N 158
and a lot of nuts and bolts :-)

lucas
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by lucas » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:08 am

Thanks John, VERY informative......

Mike C
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Mike C » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:47 am

What an awesome post! I'll be diligently waiting for axes.
44 MB
52 M38A1
64 Corvette Coupe
68 Camaro
69 Camaro
72 GMC Jimmy
72 Datsun 240Z
02 GMC 2500HD Duramax

john barton
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by john barton » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:31 pm

Here is a scan from a June 1951 ORD7..
luca mentioned it in his reply...I had said "no wartime" manual
contained any reference to shovel, which I still haven't seen..
But there is in fact a G503 book, see below, that does...
I had seen this before but had not thought of it for my above post..
Interesting that shovel and axe have a part number....something else for me to search for...
the footnote on both parts says: Allowances authorized in applicable T/A or T/E&E.
thanks Luca..
John
original MVCC since 1978
original member # 1532

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Jammie A. Romee
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Jammie A. Romee » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:10 pm

John,
A very outstanding post ! This is something that we all have been waiting for. Many thanks !!
Jammie A. Romee
Oklahoma City, Ok
1942 GPW

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:16 am

John, in the hope this does not make a researcher out of me, I would draw your attention on 1944 TM9-803.
Page 50- Vehicle Equipment:
Shovel,D handle,rd. pt. .....41-6-3170

Same for Ax,chopping, single- bit,41-A-1277.

I am looking forward your post on axes !
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

alain simonin
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by alain simonin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:35 am

Hi,
Thanks John for the great job
I wait for the axes
I would confirm Luca says on the tools' ref on the TM 9-803
I add the same ref appear also on TM 9-801 Truck GMC CCKW 352 & 353 page 20
I would add also even if this is not the right place that the tools picture on this TM 9-801 clearly show at least TWO different makers in the same set of wrenches
Set wrench which is the same sizes as Jeep
Hope that helps
Alain
MB 262183 09/43
MB 394012 12/44

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

APPEAL

Post by lucakiki » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:03 am

John, we are waiting for your ax post! Luca

john barton
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by john barton » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:52 am

i'm rebuilding a GPW engine...taking lots of pic's will probably post those before axes...
engines are an indoor winter activity..
shovels and axes are a summer flea market adventure..
my only real axe question is "U.S.A." Is it required on wartime axes or not?
it was posted on here by an expert that "all WWII required USA stamped on them"
considering what i found out about shovels...I'll wait and see before
I'm ready to accept that...
If USA was a army requirement..not a US of America as with shovels..
I'm wondering if it was removed at the same time..
Luca ..it figures you found shovel and axe numbers in...803...the most common jeep book ever!..I have a 43 version...plus the 3 in 1 reprint..
never saw it!!...I stand corrected...!
john
original MVCC since 1978
original member # 1532

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Bill Eldred
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Bill Eldred » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:07 pm

I can add to the axes with USA on them. I own 2 original axes, these came by way of my WW2 vet friend. Both were OD painted heads. One has the original handle complete with the curved handle. Fits really nice in the tool holder. Neither one has USA stamped in the head. Both are EVANS manufacturer. Now this does not answer for the other manufactures. But this one was not required to put USA on it. Or they just accepted them as made.
42 MB123366 USA 2078369 est.
Need a hood number for my Slat.
USAF Foward Air Combat Controller
Lebanon, Libya, Grenada, Panama, DS1

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:10 pm

Might as well ask John, or anyone else what this mfg mark is.

The shovel has a closed back with the triagle reinforcement.

AB&C inside a spade.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”