GPW Spare Parts

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Myers
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

GPW Spare Parts

Post by Myers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:17 pm

I am looking for a little help on assembling a GPW spare parts kits. I am wanting to put together a decent factory spare parts kit for a January 44 Richmond built GPW. I am wanting to go as original as possible, but I am ok with substituting quality reproduction pieces where needed.

I have seen spare parts for GPWs in the black cardboard boxes as well as the spare parts bags, were they interchangeable or did they follow a timeline?

Were all the boxes wax sealed? I've been looking through jeep draw and old G posts and it seems like there is a mix of wax sealed boxes and boxes that are plain. Some of them have boxes that are not waxed, but the individual items inside the box have been cosmolined.

Also, if anyone has any of the following items, these are what I still need to find.

Thanks!

GP 13485A2 Stop Lamp Assy Upper
GP 13491A2 Tal Lamp Unit Assy Lower
GPW 18318 Cotter Pins
GPW 17058 Tape
GPW 17060 Wire
1-44 Ford GPW (161784) USA 20439314, USN 87559
5-4-45 Bantam T3 (68871) USA 0948627

wynnski
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: GPW Spare Parts

Post by wynnski » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:50 am

Myers wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:17 pm
I am looking for a little help on assembling a GPW spare parts kits. I am wanting to put together a decent factory spare parts kit for a January 44 Richmond built GPW. I am wanting to go as original as possible, but I am ok with substituting quality reproduction pieces where needed.

I have seen spare parts for GPWs in the black cardboard boxes as well as the spare parts bags, were they interchangeable or did they follow a timeline?

Were all the boxes wax sealed? I've been looking through jeep draw and old G posts and it seems like there is a mix of wax sealed boxes and boxes that are plain. Some of them have boxes that are not waxed, but the individual items inside the box have been cosmolined.

Also, if anyone has any of the following items, these are what I still need to find.

Thanks!

GP 13485A2 Stop Lamp Assy Upper
GP 13491A2 Tal Lamp Unit Assy Lower
GPW 18318 Cotter Pins
GPW 17058 Tape
GPW 17060 Wire
Hello
I am putting the same spares together.
Have a look here, https://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=295220
The tape and cotter pins you can buy on ebay in the States, the tape is use on hockey stick handles.
Hope this helps
Adrian
GPW #106837

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Re: GPW Spare Parts

Post by Chuck Lutz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:50 am

I believe that there is a difference between on-wheels and crated jeeps....I think the black boxes were used to send the spares to each factory from Dearborn. They went into crated jeeps but the contents went into bags and into the glove box. The cardboard boxes for them were then discarded.

I myself collected spares kit items with an eye to putting them into a black box so the kit could be used to represent an on-wheels or crated jeep...to be OK either way it ended up. I found you can't use the cosmolined BOXES as they don't fit and since the contents are cosmolined, no problem.

I have a feeling that in combat, the motorpool would keep the spares bag as it would be pointless to have the 101st. A/B changing burnt out brake light lamps at Bastogne or the troops on the Po river....Possibly in stateside jeeps they would also be removed to the motorpool to prevent theft or in combat instances....to keep the GIs from tossing them so they had more room for ammo, food, personal items they needed. I seriously doubt that GIs in combat would be changing spark plugs....there is only ONE in the spares kit.

I think the spares kit was more designed to include some spares to those who we shipped jeeps to in far-off places....like maybe Russia or North Africa or Australia? They were not even included with a GPW in the First Contract anyway.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”