USGI specs of pioneer tool kit mattox

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
maddawg308
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

USGI specs of pioneer tool kit mattox

Post by maddawg308 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Anyone have the official specs of the USGI mattox that goes in the pioneer tool kit rack on the deuce? Handle length, mattox and pick length/width, etc. ? There's a gent near me that has a few dozen pick axes and mattox, most don't look right but some do, just want to be sure I grab the right ones, or at least ones close enough they could play the part in the tool rack.

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: USGI specs of pioneer tool kit mattox

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:59 am

The handles and the heads for pioneer tools (axes, picks, etc) were specified separately. I have Section IV, Part 5 for "GGG-H-506, Federal Specification for Hoes; Mattocks, and Picks" and "NN-H-91, Federal Specification for Handles; Hickory, Long (for) Tools", from the Federal Standard Stock Catalog, dated June 1, 1939.

If you're familiar with John Barton's work on the Pioneer Kit shovel and axe (linked here, then scroll all the way down to the bottom), the Federal Standard Stock Catalog is the same source for those specs and figures. If you're not familiar with it, it's the source for all the Federal Stock Numbers (e.g., 41-W-xxx) cited in various TM's. Pioneer tools were acquired and issued by the Ordnance Dept with these numbers and specs. While it would be better to have a copy of the Federal Specification with a wartime date, we have discovered through empirical evidence (matching collected examples of tools against the 1939 specs) that many of the specs were unchanged throughout the war. I'm not guaranteeing that, but note that it was exactly the case with the other pioneer tools (shovel and axe).

GGG-H-506 (Hoes, Mattocks, and Picks), Para. A-1, APPLICABLE FEDERAL SPECIFICATIONS, reads, "The following Federal specification, of the issue in effect on date of invitation for bids, shall form part of this specification: NN-H-91, Handles; Hickory, Long (for) Tools."

GGG-H-506 (Hoes, Mattocks, and Picks), Para. D-8, HANDLES, reads, "Unless otherwise specified handles shall not be furnished with the tools listed in the specification. When so specified the handles for all types and classes of tools in this specification shall be in accordance with grades AA, AAR, and BR of Federal Specification NN-H-91, Handles; Hickory, Long (for) Tools."

GGG-H-506 (Hoes, Mattocks, and Picks), Para. B-1, TYPES, reads, "Hoes, mattocks, and picks shall be of the following types and classes, and shall be furnished without handles, unless otherwise specified." It goes on to identify the mattocks as Type II. There are six (6) classes of mattocks identified, including asphalt, brush, cutter, nursery, and pick. The Pioneer Kit mattocks is Class F, Pick.

Here is the figure for Type II Class F, mattocks, pick:

Mattocks II F.jpg
Mattocks II F.jpg (119.49 KiB) Viewed 1299 times

NN-H-91 (Handles; Hickory, Long, for Tools), Para. B-1, TYPES AND GRADES, lists the types of handles it covers (adzes, axes, sledges, and picks). Mattocks is not included. Type B-1c. is for "pick handles (surface and railroad)".

NN-H-91 (Handles; Hickory, Long, for Tools), Para E, DETAIL REQUIREMENTS provides the details for the handle grades specified in GGG-H-506 (Hoes, Mattocks, and Picks).

Grade AA: "not more than 17 rings of annual growth per inch of radius" and "shall contain only all white hickory (sapwood)".

Grade AAR: same age as above, also allows "red hickory (heartwood)" and "mixed hickory (heartwood and sapwood)"

Grade BR: same wood as above, but "27 rings of annual growth per inch of radius."

NN-H-91 (Handles; Hickory, Long, for Tools)< Para. D, GENERAL REQUIREMENTS, includes figures for every handle.

Here is the figure for a pick handle:

Mattocks Handle.jpg
Mattocks Handle.jpg (41.08 KiB) Viewed 1299 times

And here are two zooms on either end, so you can read the dimensions:

Mattocks Handle Zoom 1.jpg
Mattocks Handle Zoom 1.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Mattocks Handle Zoom 2.jpg
Mattocks Handle Zoom 2.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Last edited by Wingnutt on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Tin Medic
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Tin Medic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 am

If Wingnutt responds to a question you can bet your butt that you will get the full unabbreviated answer. You will never be able to say "I didn't know". :lol:
1952 M-37
US ARMY 20955830

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:09 am

I actually relish these kinds of question, because it's a motivational opportunity to get some more of these pertinent specs scanned! :lol:

As you know, I already scanned, posted, and/or posted summaries of ALL of the G503 and MVMTS/GMTS ("GMTK") related specs. I've actually removed all the spec books from these binders and separated the fun but non-essential (e.g., cherry cobbler) ones from the other indirectly relevant specs (e.g., rope, paint, nuts and bolts, other tools, etc.), and even those are numerous enough to fill out one of those binders.

In all seriousness, we should probably have this thread added to John's sticky in case anyone else from the bigger trucks is looking for "other" pioneer tools.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Hartofoak
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hartofoak » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:56 am

Being a photo sort of person, I thought you may like to see these that were in my archive and which I found previously on the internet:
Original Pioneer Tools.jpg
Original Pioneer Tools.jpg (181.5 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
MB 298781 DoD: est. 01-19-44 (ex British Army 1958)
T1 Trailer: "Transportation Equipment Co."
MVMTS toolboxes & tools

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:33 am

Now we've got a John Barton Pioneer Kit "stickie" addendum worthy of John. Specs, explanation, AND photos! :)
TEMPORARY DUTY

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 am

Wingnutt,
Great work. Thanks for all you are doing.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”