Vlcheck Chrome Alloy Double Box Deep Offset

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Vlcheck Chrome Alloy Double Box Deep Offset

Post by Rustman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:00 pm

So I went hunting for tools today at a couple of antique malls. One I know a longtime tool vendor, usually has newer stuff. But always quality, and at good prices. Picked up this one today trying to outfit my GMTK. I believe it to be a Vlcheck and believe it to be wartime. Can that be confirmed? Interestingly it is only stamped on one side, yet has the raised boss on both sides.
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG (32.67 KiB) Viewed 524 times
IMG_5382.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG (29.63 KiB) Viewed 524 times
IMG_5383.JPG
IMG_5383.JPG (33 KiB) Viewed 524 times
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5384.JPG (31.79 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Thanks
Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Vlcheck Chrome Alloy Double Box Deep Offset

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:27 am

From what I have gathered, the "Chrome-Alloy" marking was a 1940-1941 trend, across industry.

As for the long DBE's, you may want to read this thread, linked here, before getting too deep into a set.

And, as a warning, it's impossible to complete a brand matching GMTK set with Vlchek. They did not produce all three size combinations.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:58 am

Wingnutt, thank you. It appears you are the guru of the DBE. For this wrench the closest match I've found so far is from Alloy Artifacts described as: WBA2628 13/16x7/8 Deep Offset Box-End Wrench.
Fig. 96 shows a Vlchek WBA2628 13/16x7/8 deep offset box-end wrench with raised panels, stamped with "Vlchek" and "Alloy U.S.A." plus the model and fractional sizes on the front panel. The reverse shank also has a forged-in code "5..." (not shown).
The overall length is 12.7 inches, and the finish is plain steel, with pitting due to rust.
The top inset shows a side view of the wrench, illustrating the deeply offset design.
The raised panels indicate production from the late 1930s to mid 1940s, and the "Alloy" marking and plain finish suggest production during the 1942-1945 wartime years.
Again that was only the closest I found. Matches in dimensions and the raised panels. Has the "Vlchek Asterisk". Right now my method is to buy tools as I find them that are correct. I am not attempting to make a brand specific box. I do WW2 living history and need to stock a GMTK correctly so that at shows I can do work on my friends Jeeps. To that end once I really get somewhere I won't be opposed to trading tools one-for-one with other members here so that others may obtain brand specific kits. If I find something desired by someone else and they offer a trade to me of a like tool from a different maker. As long as it appeals to me aesthetically I'd be game for a trade. So I'm safe from your caution of not being able to complete a Vlchek box.

Thank you again for all your information on all of my posts. I do genuinely appreciate it.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 am

Not a guru, just passing along an informative thread. To put a finer point on it related to your desire for correctness, the thread I recommended shows that all the GMTK manuals specify long DBE wrenches with 15* angle ends, not long DBE wrenches with 45* offsets, and, that we still have not seen any documentation (catalog, etc) or a collected example of a long DBE wrench with 45* offsets and 11/16" and 3/4" service openings. We have seen many long DBE wrenches with 11/16" x 3/4" service openings in a 15* angle pattern, in catalogs, and in collected examples, just as the manuals specify. You can draw your own conclusions.

As for brand-matching, I wasn't referring to the whole kit. That's impossible, as no single mfgr produced all the contents of the WWII GMTK. I was referring to a brand-matching set of the long 15* angle pattern DBE wrenches specified by the GMTK manuals. There's nothing wrong with a mixed brand set of long 15* angle pattern DBEs (or a mixed brand set of any of the subsets - e.g., DOE wrenches, 1/2-inch drive sockets, pipe wrenches, etc). I've done it myself. Having said that, most guys do prefer to match brands, so I was warning you about Vlchek's DBE wrench production gap.

Good luck.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”