Upper Echelon, How About One of These for the Garage??

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: Upper Echelon, How About One of These for the Garage??

Post by henry501 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Greg/all,

Not sure whether it will help but I have the WWII welding manual which features not only RAPD photos of the tools but several photos of the welding truck. As such, give me a day or two and I'll post the various photos of the interior of the truck and the tools specified.

Thank you,
Henry

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:31 pm

If you're referring to the pictures and lists of tools in the M12 Welder's Truck in the June 1943 TM 9-2852, Welding Theory and Application, you already did, at the tail end of Don's Welder's Tool-Set (41-T-3555) thread, here: viewtopic.php?p=1581314#p1581314.

It's online, by the way: https://archive.org/details/TM9-2852

I recall having the same questions at that time. And after reviewing the online version, I still have the same questions. Were the tools and equipment in the Welder's Truck part of its own tool-set? If so, what was the FSN and why isn't such a set included in SNL N-19 or ORD 6 SNL G-27 and cited as belonging to an M12 Welder's Truck? Many, and possibly all of (I have not done a one for one correlation) the tools shown in that TM are part of unit level tool-sets that are included in the SNL N-19 and the ORD 6 SNL G-27, such as the anvil and the forge and the oxy-acetylene apparatuses, etc.

I think we need an ORD 2 or an ORD 5-2 or something like that to reconcile what these "new" (in late 1943?) Ordnance shop trucks and their equipment and tools are relative to the equipment and tools belonging to the tool-sets articulated in detail in the ORD 6 SNL G-27, which, again, describes what trucks they go on. And that's a 1945 publication!

For example, 2nd Echelon Set No. 1 was mobile, set up in the back of a Dodge 4 x 4 WC 3/4-ton truck.

2nd Echelon Set No. 2 was also mobile, put in the back of a CCKW 6 x 6 2.5-ton truck. It had two (2) 41-C-15 cabinets. According to the SNL, the same truck also carried 2nd Echelon Set No. 5 (the Gas Welding set) and No. 7 (the tow-bar and hoist)!

I'll stop there, but you get the idea.

The key might be which size (company, regiment, etc) and types (light, medium, heavy) of maintenance units got the shop trucks and which got the tool-sets articulated in N-19 and G-27. It's just odd that there's no mention of the shop trucks or their tool-sets or an explanation of how they differ from the tool-sets and trucks that are described in the N-19 and G-27, and what manuals they are described in. In the Welding Theory TM 9-2852, for example, the chapter on the trucks and equipment is just there for introductory purposes. There is no SNL with FSN's and quantities etc.
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Greg, Unfortunately my article doesn't shed much light on those questions. It is an article that primarily details the new shop trucks photographically, more of a "look what we now have" bragging rights type article. There is some brief discussion of the vehicles attributes and its construction. Unfortunately there is no mention of any FSNs or specific SNLs.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”