Are these GMTK?

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
gpw_42
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: Are these GMTK?

Post by gpw_42 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Sunny, welcome to the forum! There's a ton to learn; I'm particularly glad to see you, as your presence means I'm no longer "the new guy" here...though only by a bit :) In my initial posts, someone (Wingnutt?) advised that being a GMTK collector takes deep pockets, thick skin and a willingness to learn. I've been amazed how much there is to learn, but that's what makes this interesting. If you haven't already, select one of the wartime GMTK iterations so you'll have your list, then start hording, *er* collecting against it. There are many options, and no wrong way to approach it.

You might want to start here to decide which tool kit to pursue (this is the GMTK retrospective thread, with links to the component listings of all 5 of the wartime boxes): viewtopic.php?f=48&t=245615

Steve

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:08 pm

The Gray 'Canada' wrenches were made by Bonney and have some collector value of their own, but not much use for the GMTK.
The Indestro Select Steel look the part for wartime, but have not been widely accepted as wartime. Duro/Indestro made both (X) and Chromium Vanadium marked wrenches for the war effort.
The Fairmount wrench are where it's at. The 25 is a winner.
I can't make out the sizes on the Barcalo DOE, but that's the correct wartime pattern wrench.
The Bonney 723 is nice and should have a date code on it. Two small letters (e.g. X.Y.) on the shank which can be used to date them.
Vlchek marked their wrenches 'Alloy Steel' during wartime, so the W series wrenches are not generally regarded as wartime.
The DBEs, the top one is Canada... so...
The next one is the right design for a Barcalo, but it looks like a deep offset, which isn't seen as correct for the GMTK.
The 'Special' Chrome Vanadium wrench is intriguing. What are the sizes?
The Bonney DBE isn't a GMTK size, but again, may be wartime. Check for a date code.

You've got some nice wrenches there and a good eye for this stuff. Keep it up.

-Jason

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:19 pm

mudbox wrote:The next one is the right design for a Barcalo, but it looks like a deep offset, which isn't seen as correct for the GMTK.
Jason, unless I missed a post somewhere I don't think this debate has been settled. Correct me if I missed a post....its hard to keep up around here! :lol:

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:32 pm

pjones wrote:
mudbox wrote:The next one is the right design for a Barcalo, but it looks like a deep offset, which isn't seen as correct for the GMTK.
Jason, unless I missed a post somewhere I don't think this debate has been settled. Correct me if I missed a post....its hard to keep up around here! :lol:
I was just trying to bait you guys a bit... :lol: :lol:
-Jason

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:02 pm

I certainly consider it settled. How can it not be considered settled? Does anyone have a full set of 45* offset pattern DBE's in their GMTK? Unless someone can produce 11/16 x 3/4 DBE wrenches in 45* double offset pattern from ANY of the major Mfgrs, I don't see how it's possible to argue that the long DBE's in the GMTK were 45* offset pattern.

Here's the Longshanks thread as a reminder: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=270691&hilit=longshanks

Here is the key chart from that thread:

WWII vintage 11/16 x 3/4 DBE wrenches in 45* offset pattern don't exist in catalogs, they don't exist in Alloy Artfacts, they don't exist in anyone's personal collections and they never show up on eBay. The only 11/16 x 3/4 DBE wrench with a 45* double offset that appears to be a possibility for wartime production is DUNLAP, which is not exactly a convincing example, and the concept of DUNLAP supplying all the long DBE wrench sets in the US Army inventory is too far-fetched to overcome the obvious dearth by all the major US Army Ordnance Dept suppliers.

In other words, it's impossible to still argue that the long DBE wrenches in GMTK's were 45* offset pattern if there aren't any long DBE wrenches in the 11/16 x 3/4 size.

Why two (2) long 45* offset pattern DBEs (15/16 x 1, and 13/16 x 7/8) are shown in the May 1943 Army Motors magazine is irrelevant. That is not an official manual. If anything, that photo actually helps prove what the research shows - they just didn't exist in the 11/16 x 3/4 size. Someone that assembled those tools for that photo decided to use two 45* pattern and one 15* pattern. But that it is not what the manuals specify.

There were other kits with long 45* offset pattern DBEs, so they do show up in period photos. Those photos have no bearing on the manuals or the fact that none of the major US Army Ordnance wrench suppliers made a long DBE in 45* pattern with 11/16 x 3/4 openings.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Sunny
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Sunny » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:51 pm

The special chrome vad DBE is an Armstrong 13/16 and 7/8

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 am

Sunny wrote:The special chrome vad DBE is an Armstrong 13/16 and 7/8
Probably pre-war, Sunny. But even if it was alloy, you won't be able to complete a matching set of WWII vintage DBEs in the GMTK-specified sizes with 45* offset patterns. Look for long handled DBEs with box ends set at 15* angles. That's what the manuals specify, and, as the chart I posted illustrates, they were made by several of the major Mfgrs who are verified wartime Ordnance Dept suppliers.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”