Tool Cabinet Variants

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Tool Cabinet Variants

Post by AZ Jeff » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:50 am

As I recall, the workshop benches used in the AFKX and later CCKW (and early M-series) shop trucks were wood-topped but longer. If these smaller cabinets were inside a truck I'm thinking they were intended to be removeable. My cabinet has feeble casters as well.

The ones we had in the service, including this type, were issued in Shop Storage sets intended for maintenance and supply operations (motorpools, warehouses etc.).

Jeff Q.
AZ

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:46 am

AZ Jeff wrote:As I recall, the workshop benches used in the AFKX and later CCKW (and early M-series) shop trucks were wood-topped but longer. If these smaller cabinets were inside a truck I'm thinking they were intended to be removeable. My cabinet has feeble casters as well.

The ones we had in the service, including this type, were issued in Shop Storage sets intended for maintenance and supply operations (motorpools, warehouses etc.).

Jeff Q.
AZ
Good to know your 41-C-15 is on casters, Jeff. Do they appear original though?

As for use, I don't know anything about the AFKX or the M-series setups, but there are no "longer" cabinets in the SNL N-19, TM 10-475, or ORD 6 SNL G-27 that I know of. They were used at every echelon. My understanding is that if that echelon was at a fixed site, they were on the floor. If the echelon was mobile, they were bolted to the truck. If there were multiple cabinets required, they were installed side-by-side-by-side. For example, the 2nd Echelon Set No. 2 was carried on a CCKW 6 x 6 and it had two (2) 41-C-15 cabinets. The 4th Echelon Set No. 2 was semi-mobile and it was carried by several CCKWs and had eleven (11) 41-C-15 cabinets. The April 1945 ORD 6 SNL G-27 is very clear on the cabinets, their distribution to various tool-sets, and whether those tool-sets were mobile, semi-mobile or fixed site.

Here's a photo showing at least three (3) 41-C-15's side by side in the back of a CCKW:
CCKW mobile Ordnance shop.jpg
CCKW mobile Ordnance shop.jpg (210.56 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
There were two other cabinets but they had limited distribution.

41-C-13: CABINET, spare parts, Type II, Class A | 3-2
41-C-15: CABINET, tool, S., w/drawers and bench top | 2-2, 3-2, 4-2, and every AF unit
41-C-18: CABINET, tool, wood | 2-1
TEMPORARY DUTY

Tin Medic
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Tin Medic » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:42 am

Wingnutt wrote:Speaking of the base, I'm assuming the other units have a recessed base, like mine, with corner pieces. But it would be good for Phil/Jeff and Steve to confirm that.

One other comparison note: not sure what nitwit decided to fit the butcher block worktop to the O.D. of the Type V cabinet, except the front, which is the only place I have an overhang, but I hope he was fired. Phil and Jeff have all kinds of places to clamp equipment on their cabinet, since the worktop overhangs on the sides. I only have the front - you know, where the top drawer pulls open!

I have the same corner tabs on mine and I agree with the butcher block overhang. The front is the only place I dont want an overhang but its the only place I have it.
1952 M-37
US ARMY 20955830

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:12 am

Wingnutt wrote:Speaking of the base, I'm assuming the other units have a recessed base, like mine, with corner pieces. But it would be good for Phil/Jeff and Steve to confirm that.
The things I do for you guys! So after 2 herniated disc and a ruptured spleen heres a photo of the bottom of mine.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: central and north east Scotland, depending on the day

Post by Gordon_M » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks Phil, have a rest now ...

My interpretation of that would be four hold-down bolts, just slide the drawers out and drill down through. If they were meant for castors they would be on a thicker plate welded on the very bottom, and probably closer to the corners too.
Gordon

1941 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Iron Fireman T-36 Snow Tractor
1986 Nolan Road/Rail trailer

sincitygpw
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sincitygpw » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi All:

Here is my Tool Cabinet.

Last edited by sincitygpw on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tin Medic
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Tin Medic » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:07 pm

Pic is tool small.
1952 M-37
US ARMY 20955830

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Cabinets coming out of the woodwork now!! Nice one, Dave, but yeah, please post a bigger pic. It looks like a wartime 41-C-15. Do you have it on a floor dolly? Or is that a pallette? Edit: Disregard. I see your bigger pic now. That's a beauty. And it has the security bar! Nice.
TEMPORARY DUTY

sincitygpw
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sincitygpw » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks Greg. It is the first time that I have tried to post a picture. Sorry for the small one to begin with just trying to figure how the system works. My wonderful wife, after much heated debate, figured it out. LOL!!I It is still on the pallet. I have to give it a good cleaning before she allows me to bring it into the house.

Dave
Last edited by sincitygpw on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Dave,
That is a great cabinet and thanks again for the specs on the security bar!

Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

sincitygpw
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sincitygpw » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Hey Phil, You are more than welcome on those specs. By the way, did they fabricate one for you?

Dave

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Specs? Who's bogarting the specs for the bar? Let's post 'em! :)
TEMPORARY DUTY

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Whoa. Great find on the cabinet, Wingnutt! And, likewise to all you other guys who've found one of these beauties! I hope to run into one of these eventually.
-Jason

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Wingnutt wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa. Specs? Who's bogarting the specs for the bar? Let's post 'em! :)
No diagrams Greg but Dave did measure his security bar, take great photos, and send me a template to fabricate my own. Dave, I haven't yet as I was hoping to have a few items for them to help me with but I am definitely going to get one made.....or more if someone else needs one.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

sincitygpw
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sincitygpw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Wingnutt wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa. Specs? Who's bogarting the specs for the bar? Let's post 'em! :)
Hi All
Greg, I posted the pictures and measurements of the security bar on The G503 album .The metal is 1/8 thick. :) If anyone needs more information e-mail or pm me!
Dave

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”