Early Bird Gets the Worms

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Early Bird Gets the Worms

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:17 am

d42jeep wrote:Pipe thread is deceiving in size. I'm only looking at your picture, but I'm pretty sure that the fitting screwing into your air sprayer is 1/4" pipe thread. Usually the wrench used on that fitting would be a 9/16" wrench. If the other end of the blower is threaded that would likely be 1/8" pipe thread for some sort of nozzle.
You are correct on all counts, Don. I'm just dizzy today.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:48 am

Today's haul before clean-up...
20161113_092736.jpg
20161113_092736.jpg (231.05 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
...and after clean-up....
20161113_132705.jpg
20161113_132705.jpg (226.52 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
That 1/2-inch drive double-end offset (I still prefer "T-L" to "L") handle near the top in the center is an underline geometric CRAFTSMAN BE!

All the wrenches under that handle in the middle of the pic from the smallest tappet to the DOE engrs wrench are all CRAFTSMAN, all CI! No. 1 thru No. 3 tappets, a pair of combos, a pair of DBEs, and another 1033C.

The hammer to the right is a [PLUMB] with a big fat "U.S." martial marking. Based on size, I am guessing 8 ozs., unfortunately. Has to be an application somewhere though.

Neither of the two DBE's to the left of the Crafty CI wrenches are GMTK sizes, but one of them is a Blackhawk 15940 (3/4 x 25/32) with what I think is a 1944 date code.

I love the WARNOCK strap wrench - which has a heavy OD canvas strap.

Moving further left are a PENENS 6" adjustable with a 1946 date code and another CRAFTSMAN 6-inch RIDGID-made pipe wrench. (I forget what we concluded based on the catalog, but this thing has wartime features.)

The flexile black hose has the wartime Alemite fitting and barrel-type nozzle.

At the bottom are a Plomb WF-36 1/2-inch sq drive extension (20 inches long!), an Indestro Super 2789 (PAT. 1902879) 3/8-inch sq dr ratchet, and a Blue-Point X-360 extra heavy duty single offset boxsocket with a stop and retention button for a handle, a phosphate finish and a 1942 date code!

Across the top are a huge (1-3/16") Kraeuter double-bow cutting punch, perfectly GMTK- and upper echelon-correct Vlchek 8-inch slip joints (the style shown in many RAPD figures in the ORD 6), and perfectly GMTK-correct WISS V13 7" combination cut tin snips.

The Schrader gage is the civilian version, but I like them just because, and also because they make fine look-alikes.

The file card is unmarked. Not sure about the pullers. I grabbed the one (on top) because it was a PROTO and the other because it was a CLESCO (and because Gordon just acquired a CLESCO item).
TEMPORARY DUTY

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: central and north east Scotland, depending on the day

Post by Gordon_M » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm

WF-36 I have room for, it would package up nicely with that big Plomb DOE you are holding for me.

CLESCO is Cleveland Sales Co. The puller you found is more common than the tube puller I already have, but I see another tube puller on e-bay now. I could take that little puller off your hands too ...
Gordon

1941 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Iron Fireman T-36 Snow Tractor
1986 Nolan Road/Rail trailer

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:58 pm

The WF-36 is already tentatively spoken for Gordon. Sorry. (It's tough being fair around a multitude of Plomb nuts! :|) He is checking his collection.

Here's the Craftsman BE "L" handle.

Here’s that Blue-Point extra heavy duty offset Boxocket.

The close-up I took outside earlier today did not do the marking justice, so I just took another one…

TEMPORARY DUTY

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:00 pm

Gentlemen,

At the risk of this getting redundant let me add my $.02 to the airgun discussion.

If you look at the image of the RA PD photo that I attached with my hand written annotations and compare it to the image of Greg's air gun that I also annotated, here's what I think:

1.) in the RA PD photo is the integral tip cast as part of the whole assembly. No additional tips or nozzles will screw into that end and I suspect it has a built in small orifice to let the air out in a very directed and pressurized stream when the button (2.) is pressed. On Greg's air gun, 1. Is the same tip end but as mentioned, is threaded to accept different tips such as the rubber one Don posted a photo of up thread.

2.) in the RA PD photo is the trigger button and the removal nut for that whole valve assembly is RIGHT below the button. On the modern/different manufacturer version that Greg acquired yesterday the removal nut is on the bottom directly opposite the trigger button. So, I don't believe the RA PD photo has be airbrushed or doctored to remove the valve assembly removal nut from the bottom of the whole assembly but rather, is just of different construction than Greg's.

3.) in the RA PD photo is the end where the supply air hose 1/4" NPT quick connector goes OR... as I've seen in period photos, where the the 1/4" supply hose connects directly to the device (air gun in this case). It is also where the supply Joes connects to Greg's gun. What may be throwing folks off is that the ring shanked tube that comes out is where the hose slips on and then there is a crush collar that gets cinched down over the outside of the hose to hold it all in place. You could use a small band clamp in a pinch.
IMG_1261.JPG
RA PD air gun
IMG_1261.JPG (110.98 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
IMG_1262.JPG
Greg's air gun
IMG_1262.JPG (140.38 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Henry

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Greg,

Already sent you a PM on the Craftsman BE L handle.

Thanks,
Henry

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:27 pm

Got it. Replied.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:17 am

This was the entire weekend haul. Just cleaned it up this morning... before it started lightly snowing!
20161120_090957.jpg
20161120_090957.jpg (224.77 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Here's the USM PRG-440 Hand Pop Riveter. I plan to donate this to Saddle Tramp's museum. I haven't been able to definitively ID it as an aircraft fabrication or maintenance tool, but given all the other vintage military grade fabrication and maintenance tools I have been finding in this estate sale lot (located near JB-MDL!), my gut says yes, and even if no, it will make a convincing display item.
20161120_091124.jpg
20161120_091124.jpg (173.9 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Details and more photos later.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:28 pm

As promised... More photos and details... just the highlights...

Spec-correct Reiff & Nestor Nu-Trix 41-F-1425 thread file! (I am not positive of the vintage, but given the lot it comes from, and the much more modern versions out there, I am very confident at this point.) Every common (unit level) upper echelon tool-set (2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 4-2, and all the Armored Force sets) had one of these!

April 1945 ORD 6 SNL G-27 references

Here is the 1/4-inch sq drive stuff…

The ratchets are CRAFTSMAN (H) open head, two (2) Cornwell TR-301's (I am thinking these might be 1950’s or even later - hoping Katalog King will help me out), and a sweet little Williams NM-51 Superratchet.
The sox are G M Co (never heard of them before).
The T-handle is a torque stop wrench set to 25 inch lbs. made by Jo Mfg in Los Angeles. Funny thing is, the last time I found any Jo Mfgr pieces, they were 1/4-inch sq drive wingnut sockets! (Kid you not!) And, they were in a NOS box of Plomb sockets and Williams sliding tee handles. You see the Plomb 4861 1/4-inch drive 6” extension next to it? That was attached to the Tee-handle when I found it.

Blue-Point RX-14, -16, and -18 flare nut wrenches (late 1940’d date codes) and another Blue-Point Extra Heavy Duty offset box wrench attachment. This one is an X-400 1-1/4” with 1942 date code. Last weekend I found the X-360 1-1/8” (photos just upthread a few posts), also with a 1942 date code. That’s how this estate sale (abandoned service garage near Joint Base MDL) has been going. I don’t know if it’s because stuff was all over the place instead of stored together, or because of the way the close-out guy packed it up.

Here’s a fun one… This LBRICANT CASE was issued in the M14 Rifle Cleaning Kit. Oil went in one compartment, rifle grease in the other. The applicators are the screw on lids.

Military grade “AN” system crowsfoot.

PWA-1993 9/16” socket attachment with a Billings & Spencer logo

A WRIGHT (Aeronautical) 80076 spline wrench (33 teeth) made by Bonney (Bonney part number 7356) with a 1943 (FU) date code

The WALDEN 1130 Drag Link Bit has an interesting marking… appears to read, “U.S.A. WVMS 6-1”

Staying with Walden, I really like this dwarfie offset (1/2 x 9/16)!

And for my UK friends, the near-complete 45* offset long DBE set is all KING DICK CHROME-VANADIUM (metric)! (You guys may chuckle, because these are probably as commonplace over there as, er, LECTROLITE is over here. But I had to have them!

Other stuff I’ll save BW on…

The tire iron is a HERBRAND No. 1127
The brake pliers are HERBRAND No. 272
The EHD screwdriver is unmarked
The 16” long 3/8-ich sq drive extension is a Snap-On “E” (1944)
The tool holder is Armstrong No. 2040
The machinist’s clamp is an L-K (? No clue)
The fiber fuse pliers (41-P-2914) are TRICO
I’m sure everyone recognizes the 10” OTC 1/2-inch drive hinged handle
EDIT - Oh, and one of those DOE Engineers' wrenches is a Fairmount 28-S. It comes out of the batch marked "25/32" on one face and "5-8" on the other. I was shocked that any escaped mudbox's acquisition! :o :D

Entire folder: http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/Wingn ... t=3&page=1
Last edited by Wingnutt on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Gordon_M » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:34 pm

More interesting stuff. I can't figure out why UK-made metric spanners would be round your way at all.

The T-handle is interesting. I've seen one sold here and it was described as an aircraft equipment torque wrench, set to avoid over-torquing of non-ferrous aircraft fasteners.
Gordon

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Gordon_M wrote:More interesting stuff. I can't figure out why UK-made metric spanners would be round your way at all.

The T-handle is interesting. I've seen one sold here and it was described as an aircraft equipment torque wrench, set to avoid over-torquing of non-ferrous aircraft fasteners.
Makes sense, especially given all the aircraft fab and maintenance related tools I've been pulling out of this lot. I think it's a click-stop. The drive stud is floating. I am guessing when it hits 25 inch lbs it "clicks" into place.

As for the KING DICK DBE wrenches, no idea. To service British aircraft at Lakehurst Naval Air Engineering Station? The US Navy was secretly supporting Atlantic operations as early as 1940, but I don't know if that included land-based operations.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Gordon_M » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:32 am

Wingnutt wrote:As promised... More photos and details...

.... The T-handle is a torque stop wrench set to 25 inch lbs. made by Jo Mfg in Los Angeles. Funny thing is, the last time I found any Jo Mfgr pieces, they were 1/4-inch sq drive wingnut sockets! (Kid you not!) And, they were in a NOS box of Plomb sockets and Williams sliding tee handles. You see the Plomb 4861 1/4-inch drive 6” extension next to it? That was attached to the Tee-handle when I found it.

It's your fault - at least I'm blaming you - congratulations on your JOTE tee handle.

JOMFG_WEB.JPG
JOMFG_WEB.JPG (122.86 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Unfortunately I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I had to snap up this JODA item ( I'm assuming the 7 just means it is a seven inch set )
JODA_7_1.jpg
JODA_7_1.jpg (103.63 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
The catalogue illustration tells us what a JOTE handle is, but not a JODA, ah well. I'll e-mail you a slightly bigger, clearer illustration of that catalogue page. Don't suppose you have any of those wing nut sockets left?
Gordon

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:23 pm

Gordon_M wrote:It's your fault - at least I'm blaming you - congratulations on your JOTE tee handle.
:lol: Thanks for finding this! What is the source and is it dated? I am guessing 50's. While there is no doubt it's the same tee-handle torque wrench, mine is not marked where that one is, and, it's not marked JOTE (JO Torque Extension?) anywhere. It's marked JO ----- TRADE MARK ----- LINE on one side and the technical specs ('set to 25 inch lbs US standard bla bla) on the other. But again, clearly the same tool! Someone on a different forum said they were used on WWII bombers. Thanks again.
Gordon_M wrote: Don't suppose you have any of those wing nut sockets left?
I know I saved one as a token of my user name. It was in my magical glovebox of curiosities for the longest time, but that truck is now my son's truck after he flipped the last hand-me-down truck. If I can find it you can have it. It's namesake tokenness is all worn out. :lol:
TEMPORARY DUTY

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Gordon_M » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:33 pm

I didn't see a date on that auction catalogue - maybe you can find one. Very little online about the company.

I should have mentioned about those pincers - the seller says they are brass. Made me think ammunition, fuse setter, maybe fuel hose tool or the like, where you would want to avoid any chance of a spark.

Usual question - how did it end up in the UK if not WW2 or at least USAF ?
Gordon

daveus6
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by daveus6 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi Greg,

The 8oz Plumb hammer you mentioned above does indeed have a use. It is the larger of two hammers specified for the Armorer's Kit in G-61. So that's one use at least.

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”