1943 Bonney Catalog

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
daveus6
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
Re: 1943 Bonney Catalog

Post by daveus6 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Every now and then we in the WW2 tool collecting fraternity have those little wins that make it all worthwhile. That is especially so from literally the opposite side of the world to where all the tools are, out here in Australia. I had one of those moments today that I couldn't help sharing.

I have never seen a Bonney 1/4 drive ratchet with the pre 1946 "Made in USA" marking. They all seemed to be marked just USA - even with the plain steel finish. I am happy to report - they do exist. Here's the proof from one I just scored on the auction site.

My 1/4 drive set is now one step from complete with all "Made in USA" Bonney items - if I could just land one of those *#$@! early 1/4 drive V22 drive handles. Talk about rare as hen's teeth!
Last edited by daveus6 on Mon May 15, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tin Medic
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Tin Medic » Mon May 15, 2017 7:37 pm

How many do you need? Used or NOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1952 M-37
US ARMY 20955830

daveus6
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by daveus6 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi Tin,

I would be overjoyed if a) you do have one and b) are willing to part with it.

I'll PM you.

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Tue May 16, 2017 4:50 am

Wait a minute here guys! I'm also needing one of those Bonney V22 nut drivers! :lol: :lol: I think Phil is looking for one as well...

Dave, that's a fantastic score. Congrats! Inching ever closer to that finish line. I'm still missing quite a few sockets for my set, and of course the nut driver... I have a breaker bar, but it's chrome... Not sure when I'll ever find the missing pieces. Those ratchets are pretty rare to find. I think it was an option for their midget sets, and not included by default. The Plomb nut driver is no slouch, and would make for a good stand-in while you wait for the V22 driver (if it fits in the box). :)

For grins and giggles, here's the current state of my midget socket set. As I said, the breaker is chrome, as are the 2 smallest sockets, and the nut spinner is unbranded.

And, you may have missed it in the 'long shanks' thread, but I finally found the 3/4" & 11/16" long DBE to complete my set of those. All 1942 dated. :D

-Jason

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue May 16, 2017 5:57 am

That's a nice find, Dave, but you guys are killing me. You all know I move a lot of tools along to other collectors, with no regrets. But I will admit (and Cliff will be happy to hear) that I do get pangs for a few things. And one of them vying for the very top of that list is the near-complete Bonney V series 1/4-inch set in a crinkle brown box in very good condition that Phil now owns. If I recall, it was only missing the ratchet and the spinner, and the sockets looked like they all came off the line one right after the other they matched so well.

One observation on your set, Dave: that box is Randolph Tool Equipment Company (R.T.E.C.). I have one with an R.T.E.C. label and a surplus electrical set (Walden sockets and R.T.E.C. ignition wrenches, all in cosmoline) inside of it. Silly's MB has one with an R.T.E.C. label and a Craftsman electrical set inside of it. It's possible your set was assembled with its current components when it was service. We have a tendency to think of mixed brand sets as being mixed after their service, by civilians, and that tendency is correct, I think, unless there's something to suggest otherwise. In this case, there is. The aforementioned sets. It could also just be a set that went through several owners and configurations, of course.
TEMPORARY DUTY

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Tue May 16, 2017 6:35 am

I thought that his box might be S-K. Whoever was making those boxes might have made them for more than one supplier.
-Don
Attachments
IMG_4186.JPG
S-K 1/4" box
IMG_4186.JPG (154.5 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue May 16, 2017 6:44 am

Good point, Don. And now I remember we went through this before on one of the NARA photos.

It's not a Bonney box, that's for sure. Because the one I long for from time to time (EDIT: I swear I meant to type "Phil's" but my fingers have a mind of their own :lol: ) was crinkle finish babysh*t brown just like Jason's.

Here's the one with the R.T.E.C. label.

TEMPORARY DUTY

daveus6
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by daveus6 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Wingnutt wrote:One observation on your set, Dave: that box is Randolph Tool Equipment Company (R.T.E.C.).
Sorry for any confusion Greg. I just wanted to show the Bonney V25 from the photos posted on the auction site from the lot I bought. I actually have the full Bonney set including the lovely little brown stipple finish steel box from Bonney like the one you have shown previously. My excitement got the better of me. The rest of the tools in the photo are in fact surplus to my requirements. So if anyone in Australia is collecting a 1/4 drive set for a GMTK and is interested in any or all of the items in the photos, other than the Bonney ratchet, let me know.

daveus6
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by daveus6 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:52 pm

mudbox wrote:
And, you may have missed it in the 'long shanks' thread, but I finally found the 3/4" & 11/16" long DBE to complete my set of those. All 1942 dated.
That is pretty cool - all dated in one year and with a really nice constency with the raised lettering. I've often wondered why Bonney had a mix of stamped and raised lettering during the war years particularly. Different factories? Sub-contractors?

Let me know if you ever come across a wartime 2895D 1-1/16" x 1-1/8".

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Tue May 16, 2017 5:27 pm

No worries, Dave. Nothing can ruin my night. Tomorrow is the first Early Early Bird of the year at my Flea Market #2 stop!
TEMPORARY DUTY

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:44 am

Some Bonney.

The wrenches are the only dated pieces. T and U dates. 1942 and 1943.

A spare V22 to put in there with the rest.

No. V52 set from the 41 catalog.

-Jason

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”