Spring has Sprung Tools

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant
Re: Spring has Sprung Tools

Post by henry501 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Greg,

Thank you. I have an 18" auto wrench by Diamond Horseshoe that looks like it (stylewise not finish).
IMG_1555.JPG
18" Auto wrench Diamond Caulk and Horseshoe.
IMG_1555.JPG (138.29 KiB) Viewed 1613 times

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:08 am

After yesterday, today was a “perspective haul" (as in, don’t get my expectations out of whack from yesterday)! :lol:

I couldn’t really see the marking on the feeler gage too well until it was cleaned up and I thought it might’ve been USAAF or aviation related, but it’s the PEC Tools logo – and probably not that old at all.

The 6” diagonals are BARCALO. Going to a member of the NBLB Club who, disguised as the Easter Bunny, just left some surprise goodies in my mailbox.

The socket is a 1/2-inch drive HERBRAND. I don’t think I’ve ever had one of these before. I went through the entire box hoping for at least one more, but no such luck. I like the knurling. It’s an S-1214, 3/4”, marked VAN-CHROME (but block text) and FREMONT O. with a diamond symbol. Not sure what that diamond symbol is. I’ll have to do some reading. Hot broached. And they chamfered their drive holes, like Blackhawk did in the same era.

TEMPORARY DUTY

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:57 pm

That's what I call an EPIC weekend of tool hunting, Wingnutt. Congrats on your good fortune!

Thought I would share a pic of a few Herbrand sockets that I've collected. The center one is the same make as yours. All are 1/2in drive.

-Jason

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Jason, is the 7/16 Herbrand on the right turned down? The finish looks two-tone.

I bought a 1945 PA license plate this weekend for a buddy. Ran across some HEX drive sockets and what may have been some dirty war-time sockets. Seller wanted to sell them ALL together and I wasn't biting.

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:08 am

Wingnutt wrote:And last but not least, the Walker US QMC tire pump with the Bell City Malleable forge mark

I am never tired of looking at grey QMC tire pumps! And the patina of yours is outstanding.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:55 am

lt.luke wrote:Jason, is the 7/16 Herbrand on the right turned down? The finish looks two-tone.
No, it hasn't been turned down. and yes, the finish is two-toned. Matte chrome at the base and polished at the top.
-Jason

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:05 am

mudbox wrote:
lt.luke wrote:Jason, is the 7/16 Herbrand on the right turned down? The finish looks two-tone.
No, it hasn't been turned down. and yes, the finish is two-toned. Matte chrome at the base and polished at the top.
-Jason
Interesting socket!

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:36 am

lucakiki wrote:I am never tired of looking at grey QMC tire pumps! And the patina of yours is outstanding.
Thank you. It is a handsome pump, and I knew you would like it! But, please, put down that can of worms before someone gets hurt. :lol:
mudbox wrote:Thought I would share a pic of a few Herbrand sockets that I've collected. The center one is the same make as yours. All are 1/2in drive.
Between your 5/8 and my 3/4, looks like we have a set going. :lol:
mudbox wrote:Matte chrome at the base and polished at the top.
We've seen this before and more commonly, but not Herbrand. For the life of me I can't think of what Mfgr though.
TEMPORARY DUTY

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:54 am

Wingnutt wrote:We've seen this before and more commonly, but not Herbrand. For the life of me I can't think of what Mfgr though.
Bonney :wink:
-Jason

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:00 am

That's it. That entire midget socket set I had was like that. Thanks. That would've bothered me all day. :D
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:09 am

Long story short (for now), I got rained out on Friday. I got rained out yesterday, too, but I drove up to the Sussex County Fairgrounds for the MTA's 17th Annual MV show and swap meet. I like that show - the local boy scout troop handles all parking etc, and the vendors are inside four (4) long, permanent, open style barns. I didn't haul anything up there - just looking around. As usual at most shows, lots of incorrect Fire Extinguishers, incorrect tire pumps, and apparently any old tools thrown into an ammo can pass for correct these days. But I was glad I went because I have a line on a new potential two wheel purchase, and there were some nice vehicles to see, about 35, I'd guess, including some decent wartime jeeps (a very nice Chaplain set-up).

Anyway, it was worth the wait for sunny Sunday, because I had two nice finds at my trusty flea market: a Schrader US ORDNANCE DEPT marked TPG, and a very uncommon Arnold Haviland A-7511 US - OD tire pump. (Ironic, that I literally didn't see a single correct tool at a military show, but picked these up today...) These were one (and the first) of three Willys factory issued MB pumps late war.

More photos later. The handle and tube of this pump are in fine shape, but the last 4 inches of the tube and the base of the pump are in sorry condition and will require some serious de-rusting and touch-up.
20170423_100020.jpg
20170423_100020.jpg (199.39 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
TEMPORARY DUTY

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 am

Congratulations on that pump!
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks, Luca. My first Arnold Haviland Model 1001 A-7511 tire pump! :D

I am going to admire it as a temporary owner just long enough to complete a light restoration, then I will make it available, preferably to someone with a 1943 or early 1944 jeep. A-7511 is the only correct tire pump for those jeeps. A-7511 was the third type of MB pump and Arnold Haviland 1001 was the first of three models issued, starting in December 1942. Fayette and Walker were not added as suppliers until June and July of 1944 respectively.

It has the classic U.S.A. - OD. forging on the top of the base and the air chuck (Schrader’s #7570-A or equivalent), attached with a brass chain to the hose, which is exactly 48” long, as specified in the engineering drawing. The rust on the bottom of the base has obscured the branding except for a very light “ARNOL”, of which the “O” is most readily visible in a photo.

Dimensions are 18-1/2” tall to the top of the nut, 19” tall to the top of the little collar, and 20-1/2” tall to the top of the handle. The handle is 7-1/2” wide and the base is 7-3/8” wide. It’s interesting to note the different lathe tooling marks left in the ends of the handle on a Haviland (like reticules) in comparison to the Walker full “star” pattern.

Some photos:

TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:02 pm

I also picked up a NOS M1945 pattern Field Desk. This one was probably made in the 1960’s, maybe even 1970’s, but it looks the part (the pattern barely changed) and it’s in terrific condition.

TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:42 am

You guys might think I’m going “swabbie” on you after today’s haul! :lol:

After a little research I discovered that the radio – CDL-46271 Radio Receiver made by Belmont Radio Corp in Chicago – is morale not mission equipment. In fact, there’s a little data tag with what we call today an EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) warning saying not to take it on a ship. The antenna is 48” fully extended! Contract number (NXSX-88879) is 1945 and another data tag says it was accepted by the Navy 9-45.

I’m going to post more photos in the radio forum if anyone is interested.

I love the deck pants/bib overalls. I have a few of these in light OD. They’re great for riding motorcycles or a jeep with the top down. Those have buttons on the ribs. These have those snaps you can see on other gear included overboots.

The guy threw the tin cup in. He was trying to push a “U.S.N.” hammock on me and a ladle with “U.S.N. SAVORY” embossed on it. All from the same house clean-out. It’s always a little sad to me knowing what that means – another veteran passing away, another set of kids or grandkids getting rid of his stuff.

The tools include a MOORE 12” auto wrench in outstanding condition (GPW bound!), a Vlchek 5-inch auto wrench with the signature sweep handle that I picked up just for the novelty, and two very recognizable SIMONDS red tip hacksaw blades. These are always nice to find because they’re actually marked with the GMTK specs (12 inches, 24 teeth, hard (vs flexible)), also built into their model number (1224).

TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”