Spring has Sprung Tools

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Spring has Sprung Tools

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:55 am

The SW set (1/2-inch drive) with the foil label is chromed (50’s or 60’s?), but too cool to pass up. Nine (9) sockets, a, 1151 bullet handle ratchet, and an 1139 extension.

The pocket knife/adjustable wrench combo will go in my ‘Completely Useless But Cool Cheap-O Novelty Multi-Tools’ bucket.

By request, here’re those climbers and belt/safety harness from yesterday:

And the socket sets from yesterday are a Spiegel Precision-Bilt 1/4-inch drive set (reportedly either early or late 1940's) with a terrific badge riveted into the top of the lid, and an Armstrong ARMALOY 3/8-inch drive (guessing late 1940’s or KW-era) with a fairly intact label under the lid. They were filled with a bunch of other mixed brand stuff (Proto, MATCO, Crafty, Husky, Williams), but I have some decent pieces to work with to try to complete them.

Here's the Spiegel Precision-Bilt midget set.

Spiegel (Chicago) reportedly sold these sets in department stores and mail order catalogs in the 1940's, New Britain was reportedly the OEM, and I'd say this set certainly confirms that and more. In addition to the Precision-Bilt marked sockets, there was a couple look-alike MUSTANG marked sockets, and MUSTANG was also made by New Britain.

With all the non-Armstrong pieces removed, I'm a lot less farther along with the Armstrong ARMALOY 3/8-inch drive set. Just an extension and a handful of sockets, all F-2xxx series marked. But there's a lot of room in this box, and I actually have a full set of ARMALOY ignition wrenches I can put in here for a fuller KW-era cub set.

TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:02 am

Completing yesterday, I also picked up this cute little 2-inch swivel-jaw vise.

Unfortunately, I had to buy this old piece of junk to take it home! :shock: :lol:

TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:33 am

Greg, I've learned to look at what isn't in your pictures or things that are just partially in your pictures. Anything to the canvas bag or is it just the bag you carry stuff in. Is it just me or do you seem to be having a little more trouble leaving things behind? :lol:

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:00 am

pjones wrote:Greg, I've learned to look at what isn't in your pictures or things that are just partially in your pictures. Anything to the canvas bag or is it just the bag you carry stuff in. Is it just me or do you seem to be having a little more trouble leaving things behind? :lol:

phil
Just my flea bag, Phil, and yes, I need counseling, a 7-step program, or a few nights in the doghouse real bad! :lol:

She just doesn't appreciate the finer points of collecting. I told her I could sell the Parker swivel-jaw vise (which the seller had NO CLUE about) for twice the amount I paid for the fin de siècle jewelers' workbench - (I've already had five offers on the vise on another site - NOT KIDDING! - it seems like there is a reverse principle in effect with vises - the really big ones and the really tiny ones command the stupidest money!!... and the tiny ones with swivel jaws go beyond stupid! :shock:) - and I could probably sell the workbench to an antique house for three times what I paid for it. And Miss Practical said, "Well go ahead and do it then," to which I of course had no sane retort except, "But that would defeat the whole point." Just knowing it's worth that much makes me feel better, but apparently it does nothing for her. :lol:
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:45 am

Wingnutt wrote: Just my flea bag, Phil, and yes, I need counseling, a 7-step program
I think Don could help you with that. :lol: :lol:
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:05 am

Greg,

The discussion you described with your wife ("Miss Practical") goes on in my house EVERY time the subject comes up and my reply is EXACTLY what yours is.

Too funny.

As to that bench you should look up the company info. printed on the side of it. It was in Newark, NJ or something right? I did not recognize the company name when I saw that bench yesterday.

Thank you,
Henry

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:00 pm

henry501 wrote:I did not recognize the company name when I saw that bench yesterday.
Not being a collector of fin de siècle industrial furniture, I didn't either. But I knew it was authentic, regardless of the name (Leiman Brothers, btw), and I knew the tiny swivel-jaw vise he knew nothing about was worth three times more than what he was asking for the workbench itself. And a google search turned up three more of them on Etsy type places selling for stupid money. And those didn't have the shelf on the back or the vise on the front or anywhere near the character this one has. I left at 6:45 and I was hoping it would still be there when I came back around 11:30, when I knew he would let it go for even less. I literally have seven offers for the vise and three for the bench, one from a guy in San Francisco! I could quadruple my money right now. But this one is a keeper. GMTK's come and go - but this is probably a once in a lifetime piece if there ever was one. The fam can sell it to pay for my funeral one day. :lol: Until then, it will look great in my house, which was built in 1893.
TEMPORARY DUTY

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Greg,

It was a nice score for you. Yes the family can always sell it but if your "Miss Practicle" is anything like my "Miss Practice" she doesn't want to wait until I pass to deal with my "collection". That's why I'll have to leave specific instructions in preparation for my passing, otherwise the same one telephone call "house clean out guy's" that we pick from will be getting my stuff.:D

Thanks,
Henry

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:55 am

Ho-hum haul today…

Both of the 8” adjustable wrenches are wartime. The Williams “Superjustable” has the desired ALLOY marking and the JP Danielson BET’R GRIP has a 1944 date code.

The offset screwdriver is over the 8-1/2” length (you don’t see that too often – they always seem to come up too short) and that hefty octagonal shank is 1/2” stock instead of the 3/8” spec, but we’ve talked about how the RAPD figure is oversized, most likely a Snap-On 060 and this one looks great. No idea on the maker: STANDARD TOOLS ILL., and a very haphazard stamping.

The unusual designed punch is a hard to find 3/8-inch. Nice crisp marking. Although Imperial (of flaring tool fame!) didn’t merge with Eastman until after the war, it’s a cool uncommon piece even if only for discussion. Edit: reason for unusual design is this might be a swage or special punch for more sophisticated tube flaring.

Oh, and ‘the elephant in the room’ that I won’t ignore this time is a Ridge “43” CPN with 4-1/2” jaws, marked SIMPLEX on the other side. It’s a little beat up and neglected, and missing an internal jaw insert, but the action on the spindle and the slide is very good. Edit: I'm thinking of mounting it as is, though it should be on a swivel base.
Last edited by Wingnutt on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
TEMPORARY DUTY

sincitygpw
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by sincitygpw » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:47 am

Hi Greg
Great finds on both your vises the little one sure is a beauty!!!
Dave

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:14 am

You're finding some great stuff! I'm in flea market withdrawal this weekend.
I've been on the lookout for one of those swivel jaw vises for a while now. That mini Parker you found is really cool! Love the big Ridge vise as well.
Those Walden ratchets with the bullet handle are neat looking. I don't think I've seen a midget Precision Bilt socket set ever. Very cool!

-Jason

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks, Dave. Thanks, Mud. I had never even heard of Precision-Bilt before, let alone seen one. But I was drawn to it immediately by the name and the metal badge, and it was a pleasant surprise seeing the New Britain made tools inside! I have come to find out they are considered uncommon.
TEMPORARY DUTY

gpw_42
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by gpw_42 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:00 am

Wingnutt wrote:Ho-hum haul today…

Oh, and ‘the elephant in the room’ that I won’t ignore this time is a Ridge “43” CPN with 4-1/2” jaws, marked SIMPLEX on the other side. It’s a little beat up and neglected, and missing an internal jaw insert, but the action on the spindle and the slide is very good. Edit: I'm thinking of mounting it as is, though it should be on a swivel base.
Wingnutt,
Not sure how I missed your Ridge vise...that's GREAT!

I have the same problem (missing the base, so has to be mounted without rotating ability) with the Desmond Stephan I just picked up. Not sure yet what I'll do with it, but considering having the paint matched at Sherwin Williams and then repainting. It's a dark, mellow grey on the exposed surface, but a little lighter underneath, on the side which would face the base or workbench.

Steve

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:55 am

The long 15* angle pattern DBEs, both natural steel finish, are a Barc-Buff "E" code 7/8 x 13/16 and an Armstrong wartime logo 1 x 15/16. I don’t think I've ever had an Armstrong before, which means it will likely be tough to complete, but I was impressed with the design and forging of the ends.

The machinists clamps are Brown & Sharpe model number 754, 1-1/2" capacity.

The sprayer is a DeVilbiss Type MBCX 9701, last patent 2,060,894 (1936).

The harmonic balance pullers are OTC No. 915 and Herbrand No. 863.

The little gear puller is rusty as hell, and the only reason I got it is because I couldn’t read the mfgr's logo. Haven’t gotten it home yet. I usually have a small can of WD-40 and a brush or pad with me, but I don’t right now. So this is the best I could do with spit and the corner of my shirt and a thumbnail.

Very fancy (gothic) script Gautage? Guanarge? Giturga? with model number 2529 U.S.A.

I keeping thinking I've seen this name before and I keep waiting for the lightbulb to go ping, but it's not.
TEMPORARY DUTY

lucas
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by lucas » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Greg>>>eBay search found closest to your gear puller is a pre war Saginaw Gear Extractor, but probably not it...Let us know result of cleaning....Dont we all taste a little rust when we search the flea markets..
45 MB 428129
3-15-45
20692926 (est.)

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”