My GMTK Tools

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General
Re: My GMTK Tools

Post by hell-fire » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Don,

The long DBE's are Barcalo Buffalos which I got ages back when a guy here was selling items from government re-packs, if you have a look under the brand name on the auction site there always seems to be some of various sizes there.

Thanks for the comments, yes they are hard to find here but a couple of guys here have been loads of help gathering things for me for which I am forever grateful.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

Tin Medic
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Tin Medic » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:59 pm

John, that's a sharp looking set. I really like the Walden box.
1952 M-37
US ARMY 20955830

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:16 am

d42jeep wrote:I think all of us are always looking to upgrade our chisels and punches.
Amen.

The punches are an especially problematic set, especially if you're looking for all matching brands. I go into greater detail about this in the ever forthcoming stalled forthcoming stalled guide, but vintage standard punch sets of any quantity did not seem to contain a 3/8" point drive pin. I looked at Brown and Sharpe, Crescent, Snap-On/Blue-Point, Starrett, Vlchek, and Williams. I have not found a good Stanley source, so maybe they did. Complicating that issue is the fact that not all of the 1/4" point and 1/8" point drive pins these Mfgrs did put in their punch sets in the 40's were 4" long.

Since I've been digging around on these tools for my own research....

I am happy to report that the 1939 Fed Specs for punches (GGG-P-831) provides some relief on that dimension (all dimensions except point width, actually, even though length and point width is all the GMTK SNL's spec out).

The tolerance for all dimensions is a whopping 15% plus/minus.

For a 4" length, that's .6 (or ~ a 1/2 inch).

I am also happy to report that the drive pins can be octagonal or round stock and knurled.

I know some guys may be staying away from round stock and knurled, since all the drive pin punches in the RAPD figure in the late 1945 SNL show those kinds of more modern punches, and all the drive pin punches in the RAPD figure in the early to mid war manuals have octagonal or multi-sided bodies (except the one, 41-P-3642-400, which is described differently in the SNL). But the RAPD figures in the ORD 6's are misleading, once again, and the SNL descriptions don't help at all.

The 1939 Fed Specs for Type VIII standard (class A) and solid (class C) drive-pin punches says, "These punches shall be of circular cross section with a knurled body or they may be of an irregular shape which will provide suitable means whereby the punch may be gripped securely with the fingers under serivce conditions." Irregular shape describes the octagonal or multi-sided punches shown in the early to mid war manuals; round and knurled (like the center punches are always described) describes the punches shown in the later 1945 manual.

If it matters, the figures accompanying the 1939 Fed Specs for both the standard and solid drive-pin punches show round punches with knurling.

Bottom line is the punches can ALL be smooth and irregular, or round and knurled, whether you have an early MVMTS or a mid to later GMTS, and, they can be anywhere from 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 inches in length.

The only thing that has no leeway is the size of the points.

(EDIT: Sorry for putting this at the end of your kit thread, hell-fire. It more properly belongs in a thread on Punches, like the Files, and the Stubby, etc. When I get organized, make some scans of the 1939 Fed Specs, etc, I'll move this.)
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:18 pm

Greg,
I think I speak for most of us when I say we don't care where you post your information! Your sharing of information has been invaluable in completing my keeper set and in helping me recover and restore a GMTK at one time lost from the gee.
An appreciative Jumpin Jehosephat
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:09 pm

Greg,

What Phil said, you have saved me so much heartache by taking the guess work out of purchases with your knowledge and research and thanks to this I have a very nice kit of tools which is a great addition to my Jeep & other US military items.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:18 pm

A quick update I just got a box stamped E.J. McAleer still with 90% + of its original OD green, possibly no big deal to the tool guys in the states but finding one out here is like almost like winning a lottery.
The box looks way better in the metal & is cleaning up nicely, I plan to use this as my keeper.

Now I wonder where all the tools it came with are now.

John
Australia
Member VMVC #192

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:47 am

John, that is a great looking box! It's very exciting to find a nice McAleer box like that. I don't think that they are easy to find anywhere. I'm looking forward to seeing your complete set in the box, looking just like it did back in the day. I was happy to have recently found a Barcalo 1" x 15/16" DBE just like yours for my GMTK. That competes my quest for an all Barcalo DBE set. Please keep those pictures coming.
Regards,
-Don
Attachments
image.jpg
Barcalo Buffalo DBE wrenches
image.jpg (81.89 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Great looking box there John! I haven't found one yet at the flea market, so I'd say that you're doing pretty good!
-Jason

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:40 am

Don,

Just noticed your post, well done on completing you Barcalo trio, they look good.

Jason, I was just plain lucky with this box.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:58 am

John,
That is a fantastic find!! Of all the GMTK tool boxes I have found this brand is the most common. Your set is coming along nicely and now you have a great box to put it in. It is clear you have put s lot of thought and hard work in to it.
Congrats!
Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:45 pm

A quick update, I have managed to mostly complete my Walden set with oxidized items and have attempted to provided a better resolution of the front to fill a request for this, not a lot to add but I did score an ink stamped Irwin off the Auction site but I think this will find its way into my MB tool kit, I also found the BB manifold spanner I have had for a few years, may not be GMTK correct but as it is the only BB tool I have ever found out here it will go in the box.

John
Australia
Member VMVC #192

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:44 am

John,
Those are some great additions to your set. As for the Barcalo, you may now consider yourself a member of the NBLB club. I'm really glad to see that you tracked down an ink stamped Irwin.

Phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:05 pm

John,

Very nice finds re. The Irwin Ink Stamped and the Barcalo starter and manifold wrench. If it isnt too impertinent of me to ask what was the purcase price for the ink stamped Irwin?

Thank you,
Henry

henry501
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by henry501 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:43 pm

John,

Further to your manifold and starter wrench. It is included in the Second echelon set 1. Per the 1938 circular 4, only the 9/16"x5/8" was included but per the 1942 SNL N-19 both the 9/16" x 5/8" and the 5/8" x 3/4" were included.

Nice find for a second echelon set 1 (if, of course, it meets those size specs. :D)

Thanks,
Henry

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:13 am

Thanks for the comments Phil, it is always good to hear from you.

Henry Asks
If it isnt too impertinent of me to ask what was the purchase price for the ink stamped Irwin?
This was a Buy it now for $20.00 with a Government stamped one included, I did get real lucky here.

The BB wrench is a 9/16 x 5/8" it would be interesting to know its history seeing I found it out here.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”