Files

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Re: Files

Post by mudbox » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi Steve, and welcome!
If those files were mine, I would put the 2 Nicholson files in a user box and not the GMTK. The co-branded Nicholson/Black Diamond is not period correct and I don't think the Nicholson XF is either. The crossed cannon logo is correct for the period, but Nicholson and Black Diamond, though part of the same company, were still independently operated/branded during the war years.
I like the Black Diamond file 2nd from the left for wartime, but the Johnson is probably the winner from the lot and here's why. There has been exactly one (1) 'authentic' MVMTS posted here in the past. A time capsule of sorts. We don't know exactly what was in the box originally (wartime) but what survived was a hand full of Johnson files. If you haven't seen it yet, it's a good look at a nice mixed brand kit.
HERE is the link to the page where the user, Randy (Wynmkr), first posted his find.
and HERE is a link to his post where he identifies the various files found in the box... many of them Johnson brand.

Nice finds.

I like to use some PB Blaster (or any suitable penetrating oil) and a stiff wire brush to clean up the files that I find at the flea. Others may do something else.

FWIW, I have a brand matching 'set' of Nicholson files in my keeper box, but I know others may have Simmonds or Heller, or a mixed set as well. It's user preference of course, and fun to see what others have gone with.

-Jason

gpw_42
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by gpw_42 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:23 am

Jason,

Thanks for the point outs and the details. Sadly, I guess all of these files go to the user box, as they're not MVMTS spec (I'll look up if they're appropriate for a different kit, thanks to Wingnutt's spreadsheets on the Retrospective thread). The Johnson is a 10" half-round (should be 6") and the Black Diamond flat is 8" (should be 10"). My user file box is growing...

Wingnutt, thanks for the point out about the XF file - I'd wondered what the difference was between the American and other patterns. Feeling it is so much different from reading about it!
Steve

Hartofoak
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Files & File Handles

Post by Hartofoak » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:49 pm

Having seen a recent posting by "maddawg308" about a file handle that he had acquired, prompted me to mention another possible manufacturer of file handles.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=286766#p1666641
I do wonder if we sometimes assign the handles to "Lutz" but they may be made by "Troy Best". Here are a couple of comparative images:
Lutz & Troy Best & 41-H-1116 file handles.jpg
Lutz & Troy Best & 41-H-1116 file handles.jpg (227.75 KiB) Viewed 874 times
MB 298781 DoD: est. 01-19-44 (ex British Army 1958)
T1 Trailer: "Transportation Equipment Co."
MVMTS toolboxes & tools

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:39 pm

Cliff,
That is a very cool looking handle and it sure would be easy to confuse it with a Lutz. I did find Lutz in the repacks in large numbers. I didn't find any Troy Best but to be honest I wasn't aware of the brand and may have overlooked them. Here is my ink stamped file handle which is unbranded and has a similar appearance.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Hartofoak
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hartofoak » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:09 pm

What a great find Phil. Never seen an FSN marked handle before. The Troy Best images are from my files (pun not intended) not from my personal collection. I get the impression that the Lutz ferrule is made from two metal pieces, whereas the Troy Best type are from a single pressing.
MB 298781 DoD: est. 01-19-44 (ex British Army 1958)
T1 Trailer: "Transportation Equipment Co."
MVMTS toolboxes & tools

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”