GMTK MVMTS----TOOLKIT---UPDATE

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
Silly's MB
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: GMTK MVMTS----TOOLKIT---UPDATE

Post by Silly's MB » Sun May 07, 2017 12:43 am

Here is the appropriate section of L216 on 1/2" drive tools.
Limitation order L-216  drive tools.jpg
Limitation order L-216 drive tools.jpg (98.06 KiB) Viewed 74419 times
Don't forget the entire L216 wrench and plier sections are here viewtopic.php?f=48&t=270564 with some updates I will add.
Limited access.
1942 August Willys MB
Complete MVMTS 100% sourced in the ETO

Empty vessels make the most noise .......

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun May 07, 2017 2:36 am

Thanks, Roger. I thought by the way you mentioned the specs and the way you posted it here that you had found something new. This is the same information we had in the L-216 thread last year. Sorry for making you post it again.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Silly's MB
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Silly's MB » Sun May 07, 2017 2:47 am

I found it in the new information which then made me look at the older information :D
Limited access.
1942 August Willys MB
Complete MVMTS 100% sourced in the ETO

Empty vessels make the most noise .......

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun May 07, 2017 3:11 am

No prob! The new source is so much better in that we have the timeline now. Thanks again for doing the hard work to find them!

Phil, Jason,

I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression from your replies that you may be reading something into the L-216 that isn't there. It isn't telling us anything about production for military tool-sets, GTMK or others, except maybe by implication. These aren't specs and don't have any impact on GMTK SNL's, early or late. L-216 instructs industry what they are permitted to make and what they are not permitted to make. You can see its results in the caveats and redlines in wartime catalogs.

Schedule II (Wrenches), including Socket Wrenches (see Section EDIT: IV), was released on May 29, 1943. Before that date, there were no limitations. After that date, the only drag link bits that may be manufactured are in the GMTK sizes. It isn't saying that DLB's weren't already being made and produced for GMTK's in the GMTK spec sizes before then. And it isn't saying that DLB's weren't already being made for other tool-sets in other sizes before then. It is saying that after May 29, 1943, those are the only sizes mfgrs could make and sell.

This doesn't help resolve the GMTK specs. The DLB's were specified by set (41-B-645) in the October 1942 SNL N-19 and did not include any sizes for the three bits in the set until the April 1945 ORD 6 SNL G-27. But 41-B-645 is a FSN which means it was in the Federal Standard Stock Catalog. One can read the situation as the bits in that set weren't specified until April 1945. Or one can read the situation as the bits were always specified, like everything else that has an FSN, but the sizes were not included in the SNL N-19 and early ORD 6's. Either way, L-216 doesn't shed any light on that - except for confirming the sizes were specified at least as early as May 29, 1943.
Last edited by Wingnutt on Sun May 07, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sun May 07, 2017 4:56 am

Greg,
One of the challenges for guys putting together a MVMTS/GMTK and in my case a '42 based set is what three sizes of DLBs to include. A safe bet would be to go with the sizes specified in the relatively late war April '45 ORD 6 SNL G- 27. I do believe there were specs for these DLBs from the begining even though they weren't included for whatever reason in the SNL N-19 or the early ORD 6's but at this time we don't know what they were. As more and more of us become interested in the GMTK I have no doubt one day these specs will surface. But for now we have to make a "best guess" on what sizes these DLB's were. To do this we can use the sizes specified in a late war ORD 6, or by observing the sizes found in the repacks or we can extrapolate from industry standards. Roger's limitation order post didn't help me confirm or exclude the specs for my set but it did let me know that after May 29, 1943 manufacturers could only produce certain sizes. But doesn't it leave open the possibility that my choice of NB DLB sizes is plausible at least until that portion of the Federal Standard Stock Catalog surfaces?

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun May 07, 2017 5:25 am

A very good recap of the situation, Phil, and I would say it's possible. I, personally, wouldn't go as far as plausible, only because I find it highly unlikely that the size spec for two (2) of the three (3) bits (41-B-648 and -649) in the 41-B-465 set remained the same, and the third (41-B-647) changed. And especially not in the span of 6 months (November 1942 to April 1943). But that's just me. Hopefully we'll find a 1942 document one day with the 41-B-645 set specified in as much detail as it was specified in the April 1945 ORD 6.
TEMPORARY DUTY

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Its almost impossible to quit tweaking these sets. I keep going back and forth on which brand to go with on my 1/4" set. It seems to change every time I complete another set. But there were a few changes that I decided to go ahead and make.

I replaced my Heller 4 oz hammer with this US stamped Plumb also with the original handle.

Finally a perfect offset screwdriver!

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:26 am

Looks great Phil. Fantastic addition with the spec correct double offset driver. The Plumb is not so shabby as well. :mrgreen:
I'm partial to those US marked Boker pliers as well.

-Jason

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks Jason.

Another addition to my set. No Surgeons General warning on these and I'm sure they pack a punch. My grandfather, a dairy farmer, in the 40's smoked these his whole life which I should add was cut short by laryngeal cancer. My other grandfather was in the Coast Guard through the war and was a Lucky Strike guy.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:19 pm

There are a couple of things about my set that have been bothering me but I got a chance to take care of one of those today. I replaced my incorrect Starrett box with a correct one.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sun May 12, 2019 4:00 am

Newest addition. I love "modified" pieces for a MVMTS/GMTK.

phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

Mike P
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Mike P » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:07 am

Hello! New to the forum and G503s. This is a great thread for a tool nut like myself but now another rabbit hole of collecting I’ll have to explore.

Cheers!
Mike P

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:43 pm

Mike P wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:07 am
Hello! New to the forum and G503s. This is a great thread for a tool nut like myself but now another rabbit hole of collecting I’ll have to explore.

Cheers!
Mike P
Be careful! There's no known cure!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

pjones
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by pjones » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:07 am

I found an upgrade for my set recently on the auction site. The US stamped Crescent dykes are relatively common but the USA stamped needle nose pliers are rare in my experience. The only other pair I'm aware of are Don's. I'd rather it had its original finish but the seller couldn't resist hitting it with a wire brush. I also traded out my 12" adjustable for the this '43 JPD version.

0.jpeg
0-1.jpeg
phil
pjones
'42 Ford GPW 7127
Need a MVMTS/GMTK?
Need a jeep toolkit?

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:34 am

It's difficult to notice updates to the top sticky. Sorry for the late response here.
The martial mark Crescent pliers are a nice addition! I've only seen a few of them. I think I've seen the linesman with a martial mark as well.
The nice dark finish JPD adjustable is a great addition too!

-Jason

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”