More Frozen Flea Market Finds

Manufacturers, configurations, Shovels, Axe, Wrenches, Oiler, F/E etc.
lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Re: More Frozen Flea Market Finds

Post by lt.luke » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:27 am

Is that double offset screwdriver 100% correct?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:39 am

mudbox wrote:...but that Hinsdale 1/4" drive set looks really nice... :shock:
Funny story to go with it later, but it's a 3/8" drive set, and I LOVE it.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:41 am

lt.luke wrote:Is that double offset screwdriver 100% correct?
No. There are two of them, both too short and not 3/8 inch stock. But I always pick them up when they're peanuts.
TEMPORARY DUTY

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:51 am

Wingnutt wrote:
No. There are two of them, both too short and not 3/8 inch stock. But I always pick them up when they're peanuts.
Then I have no clue. And someday I'll find one for my kit!

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:18 pm

lt.luke wrote:
Wingnutt wrote:
Then I have no clue. And someday I'll find one for my kit!
Specs are 8" long x 3/8" diameter with octagonal shank and blades that are perpendicular to each other and not longer than 1" in length. RAPD figure in ORD 6 and the figure in the 1939 Fed Specs show the blades on the same side of the shank (i.e., pointing in the same direction), but other wartime manual figures (and if memory doesn't fail me, perhaps a period photo?) show specimens with the blades pointing opposite from each other.

I think I have a couple that are VERY CLOSE to 100% correct if you're interested. Octagonal stock, 3/8" diameter, correct configuration of blades and just shy of 8". I'll look tonight.
TEMPORARY DUTY

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:08 pm

I think I have a couple that are VERY CLOSE to 100% correct if you're interested. Octagonal stock, 3/8" diameter, correct configuration of blades and just shy of 8". I'll look tonight.[/quote]

Take your time. At the moment, you got the last of my jeep funds!

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Guessing late 1930’s or up to 1941 on the Hinsdale set. I don't think it's military or wartime. Missing a handle - guessing ether an extension or a flex head breaker bar. Also missing some sockets. (One of them was a Plomb and the uni joint was also a Plomb.)

The three swivel sockets on left are matching Cornwell.

Bottom center and right are some orphan 1/2-inch drive sockets (Armstrong ST-1232, Walden 1832 with a nice “V” mark, Williams ST-1224), sliding tees (Husky H3884, and SK 40152) and an extension (SK 40162). The 1/2-inch drive speeder is a Plomb 5480 and the spud wrench is a Plomb 2613.

Up top... the pocket screwdriver is very nice but unmarked. The dwarf 45* offset pattern DBE’s are Indestro Select Steel (3/8 x 7/16, 1/2 x 9/16) and Williams Superrench No. 9725B (1/2 x 9/16) with a “V” mark.

The amber handle 1/4-inch drive spinner is a Plomb 4769. That's a rare hard-to-find piece in my experience. Or at least in the wild it is. Perhaps they are more common on eBait.

Here are some close ups...

The Barcalo 723 is another Chrome-Moly (that's 2 in the span of a month or so)

Under the lid...

The Plomb 4769 1/4” spinner…

And here it is with the markings on the other Plomb pieces…

TEMPORARY DUTY

mudbox
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mudbox » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Wingnutt wrote:The amber handle 1/4-inch drive spinner is a Plomb 4769. That's a rare hard-to-find piece in my experience. Or at least in the wild it is. Perhaps they are more common on eBait.
The spinner is a great find. I've seen them on eBait before, but not cheap enough for me to grab another. The post war versions had the Plomb stamp on the metal part.
I have one of those little guys that came in this N.A.F. midget socket set. I think I've shared it here in the past. A mix of brands. The sliding T is P&C, most of the sockets are Williams (chrome) but also SK and Duro.

That Hinsdale set is really neat. :mrgreen:
-Jason

lt.luke
G-General
G-General

Post by lt.luke » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:35 pm

mudbox wrote:
Wingnutt wrote:The amber handle 1/4-inch drive spinner is a Plomb 4769. That's a rare hard-to-find piece in my experience. Or at least in the wild it is. Perhaps they are more common on eBait.
The spinner is a great find. I've seen them on eBait before, but not cheap enough for me to grab another. The post war versions had the Plomb stamp on the metal part.
I have one of those little guys that came in this N.A.F. midget socket set. I think I've shared it here in the past. A mix of brands. The sliding T is P&C, most of the sockets are Williams (chrome) but also SK and Duro.

That Hinsdale set is really neat. :mrgreen:
-Jason
N.A.F. = Non Appropriated Fund?

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 pm

mudbox wrote:The post war versions had the Plomb stamp on the metal part. I have one of those little guys that came in this N.A.F. midget socket set. I think I've shared it here in the past.
Yeah, the marking on the shank is shown in the 19R catalog they published in 1947. This one doesn't have it. And of course I remember that mixed set with the Navy stock numbers! I helped you identify it!
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=244258&hilit=naval ... y&start=45
But I didn't remember the Plomb spinner in it.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: central and north east Scotland, depending on the day

Post by Gordon_M » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:53 am

Did we ever work out what the 1/2 AM (13/16) marking was on the Plomb?

I have one or more AM-marked pieces in my Plomb box, and I wondered if it was like Whitworth, where a half inch diameter bolt would have a 13/16" AF head on it or something like that? Don't think my AM stuff had a catalogue number on tho'
Gordon

1941 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Iron Fireman T-36 Snow Tractor
1986 Nolan Road/Rail trailer

daveus6
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by daveus6 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:57 pm

mudbox wrote:The post war versions had the Plomb stamp on the metal part.
Thanks for that snippet of information Jason. I'll check the one I have for that detail (and dispose of it if it has the stamping on the shank).

I have a question about Plomb date coding. I noticed on Wingnutt's wrenchs there was no date code. I have a few plomb tools like that. On some websites about Plomb tools they show date codes up to 1942 with a letter and a 2 stamped in. I have seen the no date code format and I have also seen some tools with A and B in place of the number system, sometimes by themselves and sometimes with another letter. Can anyone clarify what that meant? Was it a wartime thing to have no date after 1942. Were the A and B codes later wartime date codes or a post war item before Plomb branding disappeared in 1948?

d42jeep
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by d42jeep » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Twertsy has done quite a bit of research on these markings and his findings are posted on his website.
http://toolarchives.com/plomb-2-letter-study

-Don
Ford GPW 76344 DOD 11/42 Built in Richmond, CA

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Gordon_M wrote:Did we ever work out what the 1/2 AM (13/16) marking was on the Plomb?

I have one or more AM-marked pieces in my Plomb box, and I wondered if it was like Whitworth, where a half inch diameter bolt would have a 13/16" AF head on it or something like that? Don't think my AM stuff had a catalogue number on tho'
Gordon,

Yes, you're spot on. The size inside the parentheses - "13/16" - is the actual size of the 12-point milled opening. I believe the "1/2 AM" is a reference to the American Standard bolt size the wrench would be used to turn, similar to the way old American DOE wrenches will have S.A.E. bolt, U.S.S. bolt, or even Hex Cap screw sizes marked on the face of the jaw instead of the actual milled opening size. Plomb wrenches were also marked with a "USS" size (for U.S. Standard bolts) and the milled opening in parentheses.

The funny thing is, though, I can't find a 2614 wrench in any Plomb catalog. The catalogs I checked in the 1930's up through the 1942-1947 say that the 2613 wrench was a 13/16" opening for a 1/2" Am. Std. bolt. The 2615 wrench was a 15/16" opening for a 5/8" bolt. But the example I just found is a 2614.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Gordon_M
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: central and north east Scotland, depending on the day

Post by Gordon_M » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:49 pm

Wingnutt wrote: The funny thing is, though, I can't find a 2614 wrench in any Plomb catalog. The catalogs I checked in the 1930's up through the 1942-1947 say that the 2613 wrench was a 13/16" opening for a 1/2" Am. Std. bolt. The 2615 wrench was a 15/16" opening for a 5/8" bolt. But the example I just found is a 2614.
Thanks Wingnutt. I remember checking and the size relationship was almost the same as Whitworth, but not exact, so an American equivalent. I think we have commented before as to the amount of Plomb tools they made that did not appear in the catalogue, though to be fair it is unusual to find one with a code number that is not in the catalogue.
Gordon

1941 Highway Trailer K-38
1944 Iron Fireman T-36 Snow Tractor
1986 Nolan Road/Rail trailer

Return to “G503 Tools & Equipment (Vehicle & Pioneer)”