My newly aquired Hotchkiss

1956-1966, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep® series, Wanted, For Sale, and Knowledge Base
Seff
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: My newly aquired Hotchkiss

Post by Seff » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Paul: I'd love to see pictures. Can never see too many of these jeeps.

Fabrizio: These stencils are inside the fender wells.

Paul Randazzo
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Paul Randazzo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi Seff,
I attached a link to a photo album.

You can make your Jeep what ever you want it to be. These military war horses served valiantly and it doesn't matter what war or for what country. Here in the US most people never heard of a Hotchkiss M201 except for the military buffs. Because these particular Jeeps looked very similar you can dress them up for WW II or what ever the French Army used them for. When people ask about your Jeep's history it makes for great conversation.

As for your fuel gauge not working, check the wiring. Check the power and ground to the dash gauge as well as the wire from the dash gauge to the tank sending unit. Make sure the fuel tank and tank unit are properly grounded. Remove the wire from the tank unit and ground it, the fuel gauge should go to full, if it does then the problem is with the tank unit. I had a problem with mine too. The Jaeger tank unit was shot and to make a tank unit from a WWII MB work was a gamble so I opted to go with a universal tank unit for a boat fuel tank. It isn't accurate but at least I know where empty is. Anyway enjoy the pictures.
http://imgur.com/a/WHH9O

Seff
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Seff » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:39 am

It was the float that was leaky, I fixed that by bringing in a new float. ;) Thanks for the pictures! Link doesn't work, though... :(

Paul Randazzo
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Paul Randazzo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:00 am

Glad you solved the fuel gauge problem. I'll have to work on the link. Be well my friend
1960 Hotchkiss M201
1951 JDF 1/4 ton
Fleet Automotive Tech ret
Chief Veh Maint Mech Museum of American Armor Old Bethpage NY

Seff
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Seff » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:18 am

Pictures work perfectly now! It's all the same jeep, before and after? Is it 12 V with two 6 V batteries, or 24 V with two 12 V batteries?

Paul Randazzo
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Paul Randazzo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:02 pm

It's all the same Jeep, and it is 24volts. When I purchased it, it had US Marine Corp markings. I changed the markings to US Army with the unit my father was in, in WW II (Army Air Corp 4173 Quartermaster Depot Company). I went through the whole vehicle. Everything new in the brakes except for drums. I rebuilt the carburetor, new clutch, I rebuilt the transmission and steering box, and I replaced all the wiring and much more. I was fortunate the body and chassis is very solid. Some rust through under the fuel tank and on the passenger front floor. It runs, and shifts great, but stopping could be better. I need to improve the stopping power (they are known for stopping problems) All parts I purchase are for WW II Jeeps. I have created a parts list for everything I would need that are available from my local parts supplier, saving me money. Not many M201's here in the US. I'll have to send more pictures. If I can help in any way let me know. You can PM me if you like.
Regards
1960 Hotchkiss M201
1951 JDF 1/4 ton

Seff
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Seff » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:32 pm

Ah, excellent! You were in the opposite situation I am - my vehicle is very rusty, but mechanically sound.

All I've replaced so far is the steering wheel and one rear lamp, but I'm rebuilding large amounts of the jeep. :P

Paul Randazzo
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Paul Randazzo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:42 pm

A labor of love don't forget to have fun! If you are in need of body parts, the MD Juan bodies are very nice. Several of my friends have installed whole body kits and they worked very well. My suggestion is contact MD Juan directly for a distributor nearest you for the best price. Most vintage Jeep parts suppliers sell MD Juan body parts and they get them from the same distributor. If you buy from a Jeep parts supplier you might pay a little more (cut out the middle man). That's what we do here.
1960 Hotchkiss M201
1951 JDF 1/4 ton

Seff
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Seff » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:23 pm

We have lots of parts at the various vendors over here, but so far I've been fabricating, and having fun doing exactly that. Even if I managed to make the fuel tank sump square and had to redo it. ;) It'll be done properly, of course.

Seff
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Seff » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:24 am

F script bolts on the t-case oil pan! Proof that it's a wartime jeep that's been rebuilt! Totally!

Alright, I'm joking.

Seff
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Seff » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:41 am

It's moving along.

Return to “M201, Hotchkiss, Quarter-ton jeep®”