How to Install Split Rivets

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Lou L
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Lou L » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:50 am

I agree with Dave. No competition. Just an exchange of ideas and methods. This is my hobby, not a business. I do this for fun.

garys

Post by garys » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:12 am

Not implying any competition here either. This sight has been a tremendous resource for restoration information. I wish sites of this caliber were available during previous non-jeep restorations.

My 44 Willys MB jeep project is my first jeep restoration and as such I am technically considered a "newbie". I find it amazing that after a couple of years of wrenching and correspondence on the G-503, that I am able to give something back to the readers. Never seizes to amaze me that when my restoration comes to a halt because I am missing a part or need some technical information, it is generally provided within hours of a posting....great site and great membership!

Wookie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Wookie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:23 am

Lou L wrote:Well that's interesting. So you can get a 90 degree bend with just that small "V" groove ?
The smaller the better see diagram below, on the right you get a sharper neater bend. With the one on the right you can stop tightening the vice at anytime to make any angle up 90, with the one on the left all you end up with is dodgy curves.

Lou L wrote:Pretty neat. How'd you get that "V" groove so straight and perfect ? Is that 1/2" plate.
No, it's made from 3 pieces of 1" angle and a piece of 1/8"x2" flat bar, the hardest part of it all was cutting the flat bar in half at a 45 angle and then filing it smooth and straight. Put the two bits together and you've got a 90 vee :wink:

cheers Wookie
1944 BSA WM20
1942 MB ACM type I body
1940 Matchless G3 with G3L Forks fitted (Wife's claimed that as her bike)
19?? M100 Trailer (next project)
Very Understanding Wife (Younger than all my vehicles :-) )

Lou L
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Lou L » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:56 pm

Thank you very much for the explaination and the fantastic looking graphics.

Lou L
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

T-rex

Post by Lou L » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:45 am

Hi All,

Here's my design solution. I did as Gary S suggested. Drilled out a 1/4" bar using a 1/4" bit. Then welded it to the vice grips. Haven't tested it yet.
Might need some fine tuning. I'll let you know.

Lou

Cacti_Ken
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Cacti_Ken » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:16 pm

Wookie,
What I would like to know is, what kind of cutting tool did you use to cut the 2 x 1/8" flat bar at a 45 deg angle? And make a straight cut at that?

You fellas are skillful and creative.

Ken
Tropical Vet 67-68,
2nd Bn, 35th Inf. Reg., 4th I.D. VN

1951 M38 DOD 10/51
1951 M100 DOD 9/51

Wookie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Wookie » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:28 pm

Cacti_Ken wrote:Wookie,
What I would like to know is, what kind of cutting tool did you use to cut the 2 x 1/8" flat bar at a 45 deg angle? And make a straight cut at that?
Hacksaw, then a flat file and loads and loads of patience :shock: I can honestly say it took me a couple of hours of careful filing but the feeling you get when you fold that first piece of sheet and it looks smooth and neat makes it all worth while :D
cheers Wookie
1944 BSA WM20
1942 MB ACM type I body
1940 Matchless G3 with G3L Forks fitted (Wife's claimed that as her bike)
19?? M100 Trailer (next project)
Very Understanding Wife (Younger than all my vehicles :-) )

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Re: How to Install Split Rivets

Post by Mark Tombleson » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:16 pm

I am resurrecting this thread because I have a spit rivet installation problem I want to bounce off you all.

Here is where the split rivet goes... where the cotter pin is now.

The SNL supplement for the radio jeeps list it as WO-A-5441 Rivet, blade to arm (S., split) (OY-29171)

OY is the abbreviation for Owns-Dyneto, the manufacturer of the wiper motor, arm and blade.

Unlike the welting on the grill, the wiper arm where the rivet goes is fragile and the hole size for the smallest split rivet... a 3/32" dia. size. The width of the blade holding part of the arm is 1/4". I have a choice of 9/32 or 1/2" rivets... I think I will use the longer one but the don't seem to tell how deep the split is?

http://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets-en/split-rivets.html

Anyone with a bright idea on how to install the rivet or should I just bend the ends over?

Anyone know somewhere else to get these rivets as they come only in brass for this size? I have not found any 3/32 split rivet in any store that I could find online. They are not at tractor supply, OSH or any of the local parts vendors.
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

DocUwe
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: How to Install Split Rivets

Post by DocUwe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:55 pm

Morning, there is existing a tool, look:

I have bought it in USA at a well known jeep dealer, it made USD 35.00, very fine! Doc
ImageImage FORD GPW 80468, Day Of Delivery: 11-20-42, built in the FORD plants in Dallas/Tx

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”