bendix front axle question

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
ghiltgen
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

bendix front axle question

Post by ghiltgen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:51 pm

I am in the process of going through my front axle restoration and I noticing the surface the balls articulate are not smooth. I'm not sure if this is wear or how it is suppose to be. This is a Bendix type axle. Can I use these axles?

Thanks for any input!
IMG_0974.jpg
IMG_0974.jpg (98.15 KiB) Viewed 219 times
ghiltgen
1943 MB SN 226406
Veteran Award, Motorpool Class 2021
GPW 127386
1948 CJ2A
MVPA member 36543

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Re: bendix front axle question

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Bendix axles always get a groove worn in them in the center position as that is where most driving takes place. Very annoying. It makes the joints loose, but if you can't pull them apart, they are ok. Held in place so they can't pull apart in service. It is thought, and written in the TMs that they can be "repaired" by installing bigger balls. That is utter nonsense; if you do, then the joints become so they won't articulate as the big balls can't move out of the center position. I just inspected 12 sets of them, last fall, that had been "rebuilt" at Letterkenny. They were not usable and were scrapped.
I don't like bendix axles but they work; Rzeppa is much better. Tracta is also a great design.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”